Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Default Re: Drake's 'Wu Tang Forever'

[QUOTE=andgar923]@ Kblaze

Quote Originally Posted by Knoe Itawl
    I'm of a very similar mindstate. My thing is people are just too easily impressed. Anyone can say rhymes over a beat. My opinion is that people should DEMAND more out of rappers. The below is my example of the pinnacle of emceeing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyUUf42XyaA

I just can't listen to sh1t like that an accept Drake or these inferior rappers Just can't do it.
    lol.. that song is so bland and boring.. like hes trying too hard to ryhme everything together just for the sake of it. Christ that sucked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dvULQQ-390

^On the run..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyuVlY1QkJU

Kool G is 2nd up..

He young and hungry... Him Kane destroy that track..

he used to do it without even cursing

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    lol.. that song is so bland and boring.. like hes trying too hard to ryhme everything together just for the sake of it. Christ that sucked.
    I don't know whether you're referring to the overall skill of the emcee, or just the song but Kool G Rap is respected by all of the legends in hip hop, and has frequently been called "your favorite rapper's favorite rapper". Guaranteed he will be in the top 5 (many times 1 or 2) on the lists of most legendary rappers. If it's just the song you're referring to, each his own.

This is so wrong.. and Im in general agreement in that I like older artists more.. mainly because Im used to them and have listened to them more.

The ONLY thing Drake is notable for is his flow. He knows how to mix up his tone speed style just how to say shit depending on how the song is going.

Youre one of those guys that hears a song here and there and formulates an opinion on something like youre an expert.
    LOL, you diss G Rap's flow on that song and big up Drake's? Really all I need to know about your opinion.

I don't know whether you're referring to the overall skill of the emcee, or just the song but Kool G Rap is respected by all of the legends in hip hop, and has frequently been called "your favorite rapper's favorite rapper". Guaranteed he will be in the top 5 (many times 1 or 2) on the lists of most legendary rappers. If it's just the song you're referring to, each his own.
    I mean I dont like ranking rappers anymore because its not really a competition.. oh my fav rappers more skilled than yours. Who cares? Should be about the vibe you catch from the song and the mood it puts you in..

Thats part of the reason you guys love that real old shit because it brings back a familiar positive feeling aka nostalgia and only reinforces your feelings on the artist.

Then you hear something you have never related to and immediately get defensive over it and start acting like what makes you feel right is more sophisticated and better. Its fvcking music, theres no right or wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by red1
    This is too true. I listen to tunes when I am smoking up or getting myself hype to work out and when you smoke you feel the beat more than the words. Thats why lil wayne is too nice. He rides the beat like noone else, best smoke music hands down. Nowadays lyricism is falling off but production is becoming too nice. You find the worst rappers with the hottest beats.

This shit right here puts me in the zone when I spark one up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TqckF87f5Q
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Amkcpx2GZo
    This is why I usually stay out of threads on hip hop because there's just such a wide gap between what I respect, and the shyt that passes for it these days.

The first joint was just empty gangster posturing with a sub par rapper with bland lyrics blah blah I'll shoot you, blah blah I'm a gangsta. At least if you do crime rhyme have some witty lyrics, a deadly flow, SOMETHING. That's about as generic as it comes.

The second joint was L'il Wayne. Nuff said.

I mean I dont like ranking rappers anymore because its not really a competition.. oh my fav rappers more skilled than yours. Who cares? Should be about the vibe you catch from the song and the mood it puts you in..

Thats part of the reason you guys love that real old shit because it brings back a familiar positive feeling aka nostalgia and only reinforces your feelings on the artist.

Then you hear something you have never related to and immediately get defensive over it and start acting like what makes you feel right is more sophisticated and better. Its fvcking music, theres no right or wrong.
    And this right here is why there's such an overwhelming opinion that modern hip hop sucks (and I see it more and more from young heads too, not just older heads "being nostalgic"

People had that exact same mentality of letting garbage pass because "dont' be a hater" and the music has suffered greatly as a result. The general consensus (even if you like a lot of today's mainstream rap) is that there's no comparison to 90s rap. Why do you think that is? Because people just started letting anything go with the mentality of "Hey, it's just f* music, there's no right and wrong".

In order for any art form to advance there has to be standards, the constant pursuit of excellence, constructive criticism, etc. If not, then it stagnates and devolves. That's what happens when anything goes and people don't call out wackness. That's why hip hop is in the state it's in.

I mean I dont like ranking rappers anymore because its not really a competition.. oh my fav rappers more skilled than yours. Who cares?
    Hip hop is about the combination of music and lyrical SKILL ..

Its supposed to be a craft.. You supposed to care about the a rapper's skill

Chuck D had an analogy about today's rap.. He said rap today is mediocre because most of the MCs dont care about skill.. They care more about making money than honing their craft

When you go to an NBA game and watch the players play? you dont sit in the stands and think "I can do that".. It takes special skill to play on that level

When you hear today's rapper's? you think "I could do that"

there is nothing special about most of the rapper's you hear out there today

Quote Originally Posted by Al Thornton
    and they don't have to know shit or care about it. i have way more respect for someone who enjoys music and listens to the radio than a whiny 30 year old who is obsessed with their 90s new york rap [andgar, kblaze, doom other insufferable people]
    Ok, now run along and listen to your 2Chainz album.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Thornton
    lol i haven't yet but have heard good things. will do
    Ok. Now run along and pick up that Chief Keef.

This is why I usually stay out of threads on hip hop because there's just such a wide gap between what I respect, and the shyt that passes for it these days.

The first joint was just empty gangster posturing with a sub par rapper with bland lyrics blah blah I'll shoot you, blah blah I'm a gangsta. At least if you do crime rhyme have some witty lyrics, a deadly flow, SOMETHING. That's about as generic as it comes.

The second joint was L'il Wayne. Nuff said.
    I can understand why someone wouldn't like this type of music but your opinion is pretty bad to be honest.

I can understand why someone wouldn't like this type of music but your opinion is pretty bad to be honest.

It was pretty Generic tho..

It's OK sparky. You think Drake is more "hit than miss" so I could say the same about your opinion, to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasheed1
    Hip hop is about the combination of music and lyrical SKILL ..

Its supposed to be a craft.. You supposed to care about the a rapper's skill

Chuck D had an analogy about today's rap.. He said rap today is mediocre because most of the MCs dont care about skill.. They care more about making money than honing their craft

When you go to an NBA game and watch the players play? you dont sit in the stands and think "I can do that".. It takes special skill to play on that level

When you hear today's rapper's? you think "I could do that"

there is nothing special about most of the rapper's you hear out there today
    I mean I have gotten just as zoned and into songs by rich homie quan and ross as i have by biggie and eminem.. its the vibe they put out.

Its not a competition. Rap battles would fit that analogy.. but music in general is an art, meant to express feeling in its listeners. You get an artificial sense of pride when you tell people how much better your taste is.. when in the end it doesnt matter. Its pure opinion.