Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Default Biggie's famous Juicy line no more real than Drake's Started from the Bottom song

So Drake got a lot of flack for saying he "started from the bottom", when in reality he started from middle class.

Well, throughout many songs Biggie said he was poor as shit, and specifically, in his song Juicy, he said:

"... my whole crew is loungin'
    Celebratin' every day, no more public housin'
    Thinkin' back on my one-room shack ...
    We used to fuss when the landlord dissed us
    No heat, wonder why Christmas missed us "

...when in reality his apartment wasn't that bad. It had seven rooms and a kitchen. His mom was doing pretty fine as a school teacher. See his "one room shack" that he lived in through "public housing" here:
    http://homes.yahoo.com/blogs/spaces/...210526687.html

And as said, Biggie didn't only say stuff like that in one song. So many of his songs were about making through the struggle and having it rough as a kid. Whereas Drake's "Started from the Bottom" song was an anomaly for him...most of his other songs are about girls or dealing with fame.

And, from the article...

"To me, that's a part of an alter ego," she (Voletta Wallace) said in a 2002 documentary called "Tupac and Biggie." "That's the rags-to-riches person that he wants to sing about. ... I had a seven-and-a-half-room apartment. I heard I live in a shack. My son said it was his 'one-room shack.'"

Or, as the New York Daily News quotes from Cheo Hodari Coker's biography ("Unbelievable: The Life, Death, and Afterlife of the Notorious B.I.G."):

"Eleven days after his birth, Ms. Wallace took her son to the place that he would call home for the next 20 years. Theirs was a spacious apartment, with a large living room, a dining area, a study, and three bedrooms. The one opposite the kitchen on the far end of the hall was Christopher's.
    Last edited by tmacattack33; 09-25-2013 at 04:59 PM.

Default Re: Biggie's famous Juicy line no more real than Drake's Started from the Bottom song

There's not one rapper that you can go through all of their songs without pointing out a lot of lies and/or exaggerations. It's part of the business. As long as they're keeping it real off record, then I have no problem with this.

Default Re: Biggie's famous Juicy line no more real than Drake's Started from the Bottom song

People don't realize Tupac and Biggie were as fake as they come.

Tupac was a gay hip hop dancer when he was 17, and all of a sudden he's a hardcore thug who murders for fun?

Drake > Tupac and that fat ass sensitive little bitch Biggie smalls. Lacked discipline in his diet so he took his inner frustrations out on the mic. ****in loser.

More importantly Drake actually did start from the bottom.

Drake IS a bottom.

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

I am wondering if Biggie's former apartment was redone with new wood floors and such and some of that $745k listing price is because of the mere fact that he grew up there.

A school teacher can't afford a home even 1/4th of that cost

Exposed,

''Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis,When I was dead broke, man I couldn't picture this''

all the hood kids liked going to his house cause he hada sega genesis.

''Remember when I used to eat sardines for dinner''

he's mom said that her fridge was always full.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
    I am wondering if Biggie's former apartment was redone with new wood floors and such and some of that $745k listing price is because of the mere fact that he grew up there.

A school teacher can't afford a home even 1/4th of that cost
    This. Bed Stuy today is nothing like Bed Stuy 'do or die' from the 90s and before. Technically it's 'Clinton Hill' now. From the article:

It's in what the listing calls a "lovely limestone eight-unit building," in the gentrifying area of Brooklyn that's now known as Clinton Hill, on the border with Bedford-Stuyvesant (Bed-Stuy).

The neighborhood has prospered enormously since his childhood

It even mentions the people selling it bought it for $450K in 2004 and will make a $300K profit from sales. Probably looks nothing like it did when the Wallace family lived there, same with the surrounding neighborhood.

where in "started from the bottom" did drake say he was actually from the hood? why do people interpret it like that? when it comes to rapping and singing, he DID start from the bottom in terms of making it in the rap game. he came from an affluent suburban neighborhood in canada, making it almost impossible for anybody to take him seriously. but he still made it by rapping about things he knew about. i mean jesus, he specifically said in wu tang forever (and other songs) he did NOT grow up in the hood.

"i find peace knowing that it's harder in the streets,
    luckily i didn't have to grow there
    i would only grow there 'cuz ****** that i know there"

yet somehow drake is the fake one

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quizno
    where in "started from the bottom" did drake say he was actually from the hood? why do people interpret it like that? when it comes to rapping and singing, he DID start from the bottom in terms of making it in the rap game. he came from an affluent suburban neighborhood in canada, making it almost impossible for anybody to take him seriously. but he still made it by rapping about things he knew about. i mean jesus, he specifically said in wu tang forever (and other songs) he did NOT grow up in the hood.

"i find peace knowing that it's harder in the streets,
    luckily i didn't have to grow there
    i would only grow there 'cuz ****** that i know there"

yet somehow drake is the fake one
    for me it's difficult to accept a middle class rap artist who is with YMCMB and constantly doing colabs with artists who DO claim to be hood...

you didn't see and collabs between Pac and Will Smith did you?

with the exception of a few lines like the one you just pointed out Drake does walk and talk hood...I am sure he only throws those lines out so he can point to them if anyone calls him a fake just like you have here...

So entertainers don't gang bang, sell crack , and murder people? They just entertain?

My entire life has been a lie

Quote Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
    for me it's difficult to accept a middle class rap artist who is with YMCMB and constantly doing colabs with artists who DO claim to be hood...

you didn't see and collabs between Pac and Will Smith did you?

with the exception of a few lines like the one you just pointed out Drake does walk and talk hood...I am sure he only throws those lines out so he can point to them if anyone calls him a fake just like you have here...
    how?

Local High School Star TheReturn's Avatar

I never got the obsession with rappers having to be from the hood to have credibility as rappers.

Quote Originally Posted by MP.Trey
    There's not one rapper that you can go through all of their songs without pointing out a lot of lies and/or exaggerations. It's part of the business. As long as they're keeping it real off record, then I have no problem with this.
    i think most of eminen