Page 9 of 42 FirstFirst ... 678910111219 ... LastLast

Default Re: 2013-2014 Observation Deck

Quote Originally Posted by IGotACoolStory
    Shocking win, really. Other than the first half against Oakland, we had 7 of the worst halves I have seen in the Roy Williams era all stringed together.

That was a throw back Dean Smith game. Not quite the point zone Coach Smith used to run, but zone defense and Roy Williams almost always does not go well together. I swear he can go seasons without playing zone in an actual game. Well it was probably what changed the game today. Then the ball movement and contributions from deep in the bench. Was that Jackson Simmons or Pat Sullivan out there?

Not going to put too much stock in this game, but it at least shows the potential of the squad. And how good would this team be with a Paige and PJ backcourt? Damn it.
    I'm stunned. Like you said, this has looked like maybe Roy's most incompetent UNC team ever, then they come out and hang 94 on Louisville and get a win? Thing is, woulnd't surprise me even a little bit if Michigan State and Kentucky both beat us by 20+ point. I had to miss the game because my group met today to finish a group project that's due tomorrow. But I just can't believe this team managed to get this kind of "statement/signature win for the resume while we've had better more talented teams the last few years who could get a win like this out of conference.

Paige is playing out of his mind right now. I'm guessing there's not more than a handful of PGs in American who are playing as well or better than him. A Paige/PJ backcourt would be one of the best in the country. Unfortunately it may never happen.
    Last edited by KG215; 11-24-2013 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin
    I didn't catch the game last night. Only online and well I wanted to go out and mingle. lol

Going by the stats it seems Harris and Payne switched places from the first game.

Overall this is where I'm at right now with MSU: Depth is a concern of mine as well. Right now we have two important pieces coming off of the bench. Trice has been on and off so far. He just doesn't have that offensive oomph off the bench you would hope for. He can make threes and handles the ball well, but when he drives I assume he's going to get blocked lol. Just not very athletic. Valentine just doesn't look like he improved very much in the off season. He puts up his 5 assist/5 rebound games, but going by the eye test, he seems to struggling a bit early on. Missing open jumpers and he isn't finishing near the basket well at times. So ya, it would be nice to have more confidence in the bench, but that's why I am right now as far as how much help the starters are gonna get.

Then you have the three bigs surrounding Payne. Costello is by far the most competent, but I thought he'd be more along at this point as well considering he looked impressive at times last season. Gauna is just a dummie right now. Schilling is too raw. They all get out muscled against strong rebounders, which is the real problem with those guys as they aren't asked to score much (although it would be nice if Costello could start doing so). So ya, when Payne is in foul trouble, the pickings are pretty slim right now.

Now that seems pretty negative, but all of this is ignoring the fact that the four real contributing starters are playing really well at times (with drop off from each in a game here and there). By the end of the year, I will still be confident in Appling/Harris/Payne/Dawson going up against Kansas' and Kentucky's top four (and yes, I put Kansas first for a reason). The depth is the issue. I see Izzo is trying to prep one more wing player for minutes throughout the season in Bailey, but he hasn't shown that he can play any sort of important minutes as of yet.

So what is the most likely to change over the course of the year?:

1. Valentine. I think he shakes off his slow start and give MSU the bench scoring it will need.

2. Costello. I think he can be a 6-8 ppg scorer by years end. He has the touch, maybe not the confidence being a first time starter yet? Him being handled on the defensive side at times may be playing a factor into how he plays on offense right now.

3. Trice. He is better and more important than Costello, but he is what he is.

4. Gauna and Schilling are nothing more than bodies right now and I don't see them trying to be more. lol

To conclude, I'm more worried about the bigs and their rebounding problems than producers off the bench because I think Valentine will do better and become more aggressive and Trice will have his 10-15 point games here and there. You can't teach toughness though.

Oh and btw, as for the VTech game, I can't believe Izzo let Harris try and shoot his way out of a slump like that...never seen that from an Izzo coached team in my life. lol
    I was extremely high on Costello coming into the season. He was so good during the Big Ten tourney I just thought he'd be more productive. He makes a lot of plays that don't show on the stat sheet but at some point he needs to step his offensive game up.

And oh man, Gauna has been awful in the two times I've seen him . Especially the first half of the UK game. Just totally lost in the moment.

To me there is a lot of pressure on Trice and Valentine to produce and I just don't see either of them upping their production drastically. They are two of our most disruptive defensive players but the have yet to establish one thing they each can do consistently on offense. Come March, we're going to need reserves like that, teams are going to key in on Appling and Payne eventually (ie. end of UK game) and while Harris might have a green light, it's easy for tourney teams to stop an offense with only three legit scoring options.

That being said, I agree. Izzo's attitude with Harris has been unprecedented. I remember Izzo wanting him to commit real bad, so I guess we can see how that's translating into his coaching.

Duke team seems a bit jealous of Jabari at times. He gets on a roll and it's like they intentionally don't want to give him the rock.

jabari is a worse defender than melo

Quote Originally Posted by alenleomessi
    He is the back line and playing wight the dumbest defender I've ever seen at Duke. Jabari is actually a really good defender...Duke is just horrible in at regard. Everyone is too selfish.

Refs ruined a good game. That was good defense by Vermont. hate these new rules.

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

Duke on the ropes but the refs helping them per usual... Stupid ass Vermont players don't even realize the time. What the hell.

Charlotte beats Michigan at the buzzer. The bigger headline is their coaches' hairline. Apparently it's a running internet joke too! How have I never known this?

Last edited by JimmyMcAdocious; 11-24-2013 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alenleomessi
    Jarbari gets to play against the opposing PF/C. Duke perimeter players are putrid defensively.

On another note, gonna be interested to see how a Duke team, coached by someone who's taught his teams the strategy of "hack, slap, grab, hold every play because they can't/won't call everything" on defense, will fair this year on defense with the new rules.

What I still believe is an NIT bound (unless PJ comes back) UNC team beats Louisville.

dook nearly escapes Vermont at Cameron.

UK is a dogfight with Cleveland State right now at Rupp. Losing 44-33 with 14:00 left in the game.

Columbia pushed MSU at their place.

Arizona played tough by SDSU. Although I think SDSU is pretty good.

Only Kansas running away early for the expected top 6 teams.

Watching this Kentucky game, I can't help but notice (again lol) how much better Kansas' freshmen are than Kentucky's. At least to this point and you can only expect so much individual improvement (and it goes both ways).

Wiggins/Embiid/Selden/Mason >> Randle/Harrison twins. The big problem for Kentucky is that's their scoring other than Young. Kansas still has Ellis.

NBA lottery pick

Jahii Carson. 23 points and 5 dimes in a win over a ranked Marquette team. first 6-0 start for Arizona state since the 80's while averaging 24 and 5 He's coming for that national player of the year award!

I rule the local playground ukfan22's Avatar

Watching this Kentucky game, I can't help but notice (again lol) how much better Kansas' freshmen are than Kentucky's. At least to this point and you can only expect so much individual improvement (and it goes both ways).

Wiggins/Embiid/Selden/Mason >> Randle/Harrison twins. The big problem for Kentucky is that's their scoring other than Young. Kansas still has Ellis.
    The twins are a huge disappointment thus far, despite the plays they made down the stretch tonight. They look slow and make a lot of bad decisions. And they aren't shooting like advertised.

And Young isn't much better.

Randle is great, but he can't do it by himself. He was quadruple teamed all night.

Randle put up 15/15 on 3/10 (9 pts from ft line) shooting. If Wiggins only put up 15 pts in a game where Kansas almost lost (and only took 10 shots), he would be viewed as a bust. Funny how the over hyping of one player skews how we view the games of all of them. lol

And yes, Randle does get swarmed and his teammates aren't given the other team much reason to stop, but there are certain posters here who certainly wouldn't give Wiggins a pass for his teammates being good enough where they prob don't need him on most nights. lol
    Last edited by Dolphin; 11-26-2013 at 01:25 PM.

Randle put up 15/15 on 3/10 (9 pts from ft line) shooting. If Wiggins only put up 15 pts in a game where Kansas almost lost (and only took 10 shots), he would be viewed as a bust. Funny how the over hyping of one player skews how we view the games of all of them. lol

And yes, Randle does get swarmed and his teammates aren't given the other team much reason to stop, but there are certain posters here who certainly wouldn't give Wiggins a pass for his teammates being good enough where they prob don't need him on most nights. lol
    He was being quadruple teamed at times and was trying to force the issue because his teammates weren't doing anything. It's hard to criticize a guy for being too aggressive when he looks like the only one who cares about getting the win. Yes, Kansas would still be a good team without Wiggins but playing strictly within the flow of the offense won't necessarily cut it against teams like MSU.

Quote Originally Posted by ukfan22
    The twins are a huge disappointment thus far, despite the plays they made down the stretch tonight. They look slow and make a lot of bad decisions. And they aren't shooting like advertised.

And Young isn't much better.

Randle is great, but he can't do it by himself. He was quadruple teamed all night.
    I think Young has some serious potential. Once he can figure out exactly what his role is, he'll be a fine player. His scoring instincts at that size aren't that common in freshman wing players. I think Johnson will really come on later in the season and WCS was excellent last night.