Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Default Re: The BigAss 2nd term thread: Part II

New polling showing Republicans taking the blame for this. President looks good, but only by comparison.
    A new high of 74 percent of Americans disapprove of the way the Republicans in Congress are handling Washington’s budget crisis, up significantly in the past two weeks and far exceeding disapproval of both President Obama and congressional Democrats on the issue.
    The latest ABC News/Washington Post poll finds that criticism of the GOP’s handling of the budget dispute has grown by 11 percentage points since just before the partial government shutdown began, from 63 to 70 and now 74 percent – clearly leaving the party with the lion’s share of blame. Indeed 54 percent now “strongly” disapprove.

By contrast, 53 percent disapprove of Obama’s work on the issue, essentially flat since the crisis came to a head and a broad 21 points lower than disapproval of the Republicans. Fewer, as well, strongly disapprove of Obama’s performance, 39 percent.
    Republicans are also turning off Republicans
    While vast partisan differences continue to define these views, the GOP suffers from disproportionate weakness in some key groups. Notably, for the first time this week numerically fewer than half of Republicans – 49 percent – approve of the way their party’s representatives in Congress are handling the budget talks.

Local High School Star TheReturn's Avatar

This should really cost the republicans in the next national elections right?

Just.

So we just wasted another day because John Boehner basically doesn't lead his party.

Are we about to shoot ourselves the foot? Some folks think so.

Fitch Ratings took a step toward cutting the U.S. government's AAA debt rating Tuesday, as the clock ticked toward the Thursday deadline to raise the nation's debt ceiling or risk default.

Chicago-based Fitch, the third-largest of the major debt-rating companies behind Standard & Poor's and Moody's Investors Service, put U.S. Treasury bonds on Rating Watch Negative, which is sometimes but not always a first step before a downgrade. Fitch said in a statement that it still thinks the debt ceiling will be raised in time to prevent a default.

   

"a small but influencial group of naked apes in a troubled yet thriving civilisation suddenly elected to destroy the whole thing in a fit of pique over being weaned from their favorite teat a little too quickly."

... read no stone tablet, anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    "a small but influencial group of naked apes in a troubled yet thriving civilisation suddenly elected to destroy the whole thing in a fit of pique over being weaned from their favorite teat a little too quickly."

... read no stone tablet, anywhere.

So it seems like today the Senate will work out a deal where there's small compromises from both sides and sent it to the House. .....Where John Boehner will throw in the towel and pick up the deal as is and bring it to a vote. The bill will pass with Democratic votes.........AS COULD HAVE HAPPENED weeks ago.

and then we'll do all this again in a few months.

http://www.lawfareblog.com/2013/10/t...SMM2DM.twitter
    If a body other than the Congress of the United States were actively contemplating a step that would, by the accounts of virtually all economists, tank the U.S. economy, cause interest rates to shoot up, and trigger a financial crisis, we would talk about that body as threat to national security. At a minimum, we would talk about the step it is contemplating in national security terms.
    National security is not just things that go boom. It is not just terrorists and foreign adversaries. It is possible for a country to commit suicide.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    So it seems like today the Senate will work out a deal where there's small compromises from both sides and sent it to the House. .....Where John Boehner will throw in the towel and pick up the deal as is and bring it to a vote. The bill will pass with Democratic votes.........AS COULD HAVE HAPPENED weeks ago.

and then we'll do all this again in a few months.

I can't wait when the Republicans sweep the House and Senate in 2014. Cruz or Christie are going to eat Hilary's lunch in 2016. Republicans will get the last laugh.

Rules #2 dont give fk* travelingman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by longhornfan1234
    I can't wait when the Republicans sweep the House and Senate in 2014. Cruz or Christie are going to eat Hilary's lunch in 2016. Republicans will get the last laugh.
    You really believe this a thought worth entertaining?

Quote Originally Posted by travelingman
    You really believe this a thought worth entertaining?
    Yes.

I think we should all seriously entertain that thought considering longhornfan's history of making accurate predictions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    I think we should all seriously entertain that thought considering longhornfan's history of making accurate predictions.

Hey, Christie got his stomach banded. He's locked and loaded.

Republicans will retake the House and take over the Senate in 2014. I'll bet my ISH account on it.

Rules #2 dont give fk* travelingman's Avatar

Republicans will retake the House and take over the Senate in 2014. I'll bet my ISH account on it.
    Seems a bit drastic, but I'm all for holding you to your wager.

Which one?