Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Default Re: Silk Road, online black market raided by FBI

In the US, perscription drug abuse causes more deaths than cocaine and heroin combined.

So the sight is shut down now?

Home come I learn about cool things like this AFTER they get shut down?!?!

I could use some guns and drugs.

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KNOW1EDGE
    So the sight is shut down now?

Home come I learn about cool things like this AFTER they get shut down?!?!

I could use some guns and drugs.

there are a ton of sites like this on the deep web, most of the big time users on the SR are on other sites as well, and the silk road forums are still very active with most guys letting you know which new sites they are using

or so i hear...

Quote Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
    yes the majority CAN be wrong, but the majority is right more times than not...in this debate it is like abortion, there is no clear route to take that makes everything "good". It sucks no matter how we arrange things.

let's focus on this:

so you are debating weather or not drugs are "immoral"?...you are of the opinion that the only reason we view them as bad is because that is what the "herd" thinks. And "therefore, is to afford an outlet for sadism by cloaking cruelty as justice"...as though it isn't really "justice" to punish those involved in this business.

correct?

^^^ you are basically playing the role of that guy

IMO there are much better arguments for why drugs should be legal than trying to hide the fact that they are harmful...because that is just eye rolling...most people in this country over the age of 30 either know someone or have seen someone that has died to drug use and ripped their family apart.

oh but wait let me guess! "anything can kill you if abused!, drinking too much water can kill you so should we make water illegal?"

^^^ this is Martin J. Barrington...he is the CEO of Phillip Morris

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THIS SCUMBAG AND SCARFACE IS THAT HE GETS TO LIVE A LONG, HAPPY, VIOLENCE FREE LIFE

And you want our government to do all the drug dealers of the world a huge favor by cleaning up everything for them and creating a huge NEW set of laws to regulate all these drugs so that they can do business in a legal manner and live long, happy, healthy lives just like Martin J. Barrington? and you feel overly passionate about it too?...Why though? the extra tax money that tobacco brings in DOESN'T EVEN COME CLOSE to paying for all the hospital bills that it brings...tobacco costs the tax payers way more money than it brings in. Same with Prescription drugs and booz, regardless of what you think about that article alcohol without question costs the tax payers a pretty penny. The "drug war" is the cheap way out...and that war doesn't just vanish with legality either...WE STILL ARREST MILLIONS OF PEOPLE EACH YEAR BECAUSE OF ALCOHOL...WHICH IS LEGAL
    No, the majority is almost always wrong. This debate is nothing like abortion. It has been shown time and time again that the dug laws are inefficacious, and cause for more problems than they prevent. If you had looked at how the crime rates shot up across the board after these laws were brought in, and how the use of drugs such as heroin and cocaine shot up after they were made illegal (when you could buy heroin in a cough syrup btw), then you would know this. It is why economists hold that the war should be ended near-unanimously. It is why Portugal's experiment in decriminalisation has been a resounding success.

Nor did i postulate that drugs weren't harmful. Of course they can be, but they can also all be taken safely and responsibly, provided that they are not illegal. It is not that drugs aren't harmful; it is that drugs become far more harmful when they are prohibited. If you would look at how alcohol related deaths skyrocketed during prohibition then you would know this also.

We don't arrest millions of people merely for drinking alcohol, we arrest them for doing illegal things under the influence of alcohol; that is the difference. Not to mention that alcohol has been shown using scientific studies to be the most socially destructive drug - by far!

And man, you really missed the point of that film (and book): it was a biting satire on the sanctimonious do-gooders who are intent on forcing their morality onto others (a bit like you really); your sympathies were supposed to be with Nick Naylor rather than the hysterical and hypocritical anti-smoking crusaders. And no, tobacco is a massive net plus for an economy overburdened with pensions payments. The tax revenue it brings in in many places is massive. You don't have a clue what you're talking about.

I feel passionate about it because the drug war causes so much misery and suffering around the world, and it could be so easily avoided if some many people weren't so prejudiced about things that they have no understanding of. Yes, it is sadistic, and it provides an outlet for the collective herd to inflict sadism upon others, merely because they have different habits from those inside the herd. Thus cruelty is cloaked as justice because it is 'wrong' to take drugs (who says?) and those that do can be severely punished for it while maintaining piece of mind.

I find the whole thing positively abhorrent.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dresta
    We don't arrest millions of people merely for drinking alcohol, we arrest them for doing illegal things under the influence of alcohol; that is the difference. Not to mention that alcohol has been shown using scientific studies to be the most socially destructive drug - by far!
    Yup.. that cough medicine aka morphine you were talking about was prescribed to alcoholics even when the doctors knew it was addictive because it was better to have a patient doped out, reclused in his home than boozed up beating his wife, fighting, causing mischief etc.

comparing alcohols detriment to society to other drugs is dumb...

Ulbricht appeared in court on Wednesday in San Francisco facing three felony charged including solicitation of murder.

During the brief hearing Ulbricht put off seeking bail and agreed with Magistrate Joseph Spero's order to have his trial heard in New York, where the original charges were filed.

Ulbricht will now be brought to New York by federal marshals where he will be eligible to seek bail while he awaits trial.

Ulbrict faces charges of money-laundering, computer-hacking, drug-trafficking as well as soliciting someone to murder a Canadian Silk Road user.

During the hearing Ulbricht appeared unshaven but alert, and aside from saying "good morning" to the Judge, said nothing. Ulbricht first appeared in court last week denying all charges against him.

LeBlanc said after the hearing that Ulbricht would have different representation in New York but failed to reveal if it would be another public defender or privately retained representation.

LINK

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KeylessEntry
    Bitcoins can be broken into fractions, for a cup of coffee you would pay like .01 bitcoin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Hero
    I'm not a huge fan of how that works.
    I suppose you're not a fan of how nickels and dimes work either?

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

No, the majority is almost always wrong.
    really? the majority is almost always wrong? about EVERYTHING?...so whatever opinion the majority has, chances are that opinion is wrong? lol

and how did you come to this conclusion exactly?

It has been shown time and time again that the dug laws are inefficacious, and cause for more problems than they prevent.
    How has that been shown exactly?...again...OUR LEGAL DRUGS CAUSE A BILLION TIMES MORE PROBLEMS THAN THE ILLEGAL ONES DO.

you think half this country would be addicted to xanax if it was all black market?

Nor did i postulate that drugs weren't harmful. Of course they can be, but they can also all be taken safely and responsibly, provided that they are not illegal. It is not that drugs aren't harmful; it is that drugs become far more harmful when they are prohibited. If you would look at how alcohol related deaths skyrocketed during prohibition then you would know this also.

^^^ this is all "Thank You for Smoking" talk...

"drugs CAN be harmful, but..."

"Alcohol isn't the problem, it's the illegal things people do while drunk..."

etc

bottom line, drugs and alcohol cause far more harm than good to society...

And man, you really missed the point of that film (and book): it was a biting satire on the sanctimonious do-gooders who are intent on forcing their morality onto others (a bit like you really); your sympathies were supposed to be with Nick Naylor rather than the hysterical and hypocritical anti-smoking crusaders. And no, tobacco is a massive net plus for an economy overburdened with pensions payments. The tax revenue it brings in in many places is massive. You don't have a clue what you're talking about.
    Smokers Cost Taxpayers $10 Billion

Five years after all current smokers who receive Medicaid benefits quit smoking, program expenditures would be an estimated $9.7 billion lower, according to a new report by researchers at RTI International.

The report, funded by the American Legacy Foundation, found that Medicaid expenditures attributable to current smokers account for 5.6 percent of total national Medicaid expenditures.

"Reducing the number of smokers in the United States could save taxpayers billions of dollars in Medicaid costs," said Justin Trogdon, Ph.D., an RTI health economist. "Policy makers looking for ways to reduce health care costs in America would be wise to look at areas of health behaviors that both improve health and reduce health care costs."
    are you sure it isn't you that doesn't know what they are talking about?

I feel passionate about it because the drug war causes so much misery and suffering around the world, and it could be so easily avoided if some many people weren't so prejudiced about things that they have no understanding of. Yes, it is sadistic, and it provides an outlet for the collective herd to inflict sadism upon others, merely because they have different habits from those inside the herd. Thus cruelty is cloaked as justice because it is 'wrong' to take drugs (who says?) and those that do can be severely punished for it while maintaining piece of mind.

I find the whole thing positively abhorrent.
    IMO the legal drugs are causing much more pain and suffering than the illegal drugs...in the US anyway

and IMO "drug dealers" should be punished...and not allowed to work like the CEO of Phillip Morris

I feel this really comes down to you not thinking that the selling of drugs is morally wrong, and me feeling the opposite...we will likely never changes each other's thoughts on that.

really? the majority is almost always wrong? about EVERYTHING?...so whatever opinion the majority has, chances are that opinion is wrong? lol

and how did you come to this conclusion exactly?
    Yes, that's right. It is a well known conclusion, which is known to almost anyone that has been properly educated. As Mark Twain said: 'Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.'

Because majority opinion is almost always held by those who do not bother to utilise their own mental faculties, but merely accept an opinion because it is held by many others. It is seen in all walks of life: from the films people watch, the books they read, the things they find funny, the opinions they hold, the things they do for leisure etc. etc. People just love to be told what do like and think and do; it is called the herd mentality (another well known concept). In fact, if you'd care to look up the 'Asch conformity experiment' you would see that people are willing to deny what they see with their own eyes if it does not fit in with the herd.

Also: 'It is only because the majority opinion will always be opposed by some that our knowledge and understanding progress. In the process by which opinion is formed, it is very probable that, by the time any view becomes a majority view, it is no longer the best view: somebody will already have advanced beyond the point the majority have reached.

Quote Originally Posted by The Macho Man
    Is this dude dresta talkin shit about my beloved alcohol?

Most socially destructive drug?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11660210 (watch videos)

I'm not talking shit about any drug, i'm just saying the harms need to be put into perspective. Too much irrationality going about when it comes to illegal drugs.

Yes, that's right. It is a well known conclusion, which is known to almost anyone that has been properly educated. As Mark Twain said: 'Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.'

Because majority opinion is almost always held by those who do not bother to utilise their own mental faculties, but merely accept an opinion because it is held by many others. It is seen in all walks of life: from the films people watch, the books they read, the things they find funny, the opinions they hold, the things they do for leisure etc. etc. People just love to be told what do like and think and do; it is called the herd mentality (another well known concept). In fact, if you'd care to look up the 'Asch conformity experiment' you would see that people are willing to deny what they see with their own eyes if it does not fit in with the herd.

Also: 'It is only because the majority opinion will always be opposed by some that our knowledge and understanding progress. In the process by which opinion is formed, it is very probable that, by the time any view becomes a majority view, it is no longer the best view: somebody will already have advanced beyond the point the majority have reached.’ – If the majority opinion were to control everything, then nothing could ever change.

History is littered with examples of people who were right being persecuted by the self-righteous majority.
    you know, as far as this web site dominated 20-something males goes, I am in the minority on this...not that I believe for a second that there is any actual scientific legitimacy to all those little sayings thrown out by Twain and others...I mean the majority thinks that when thirsty you should drink water, and they are right...this entire concept that the majority is always wrong is beyond vague

The Xanax problem largely comes from people's blind deference to doctors and the fact that when they were first prescribed they were declared to be 'non-addictive.' Nevertheless, drugs like Xanax and Valium are extremely useful and make life bearable for many with extremely debilitating anxiety.

Alcohol is not the problem. You are simply exculpating people from the responsibility of what they do while under the influence. A world without drugs would be a miserable place. You may have no use for them now, but when you have to undertake a serious medical procedure, or when you are old and crippled and in constant pain, you will be BEGGING for some pain medication.
    right xanax and alcohol aren't the problem, it is something ELSE...same with tobacco right?...and every other LEGAL substance that just happens to cause more harm in this country than illegal substances

it is just one big giant coincidence that all of our legal drugs happen to be more harmful than the illegal drugs...

and yes I understand that drugs can be used in a good way, when treated as MEDICINE...but with the exception of pot the drugs you want to legalize have no healing properties...not that we know of anyway, the opiates that are used as medicine today ARE LEGAL PRESCRIBED BY DOCTORS...(and doing more harm than the illegal opiates)

It is not 'Thank you for Smoking talk' it is simply that i value personal freedom over forcefully protecting people from their own stupidity (poorly too, i might add, and at the expense of everyone else's freedom). If people were encouraged more often to THINK FOR THEMSELVES, then many of these problems would be massively diminished.
    It's about protecting people from OTHER PEOPLE'S STUPIDITY...it might be different if drug and alcohol abuse ONLY affected the user, but it isn't that black and white...you can't just trust people to be responsible, it doesn't work...people are stupid, particularly young people...with drugs, guns, and everything else...

Quote Originally Posted by The Macho Man
    Sound doesn't work on my laptop

I haven't been following this argument because it's with tiddy, I just know he said he prefers gang violence to legalized drugs which is an odd stance...
    I would prefer none of it exist, but I like that drug dealers are forced to live hard lives, and either die young or go to prison...as opposed to the tobacco company owners who don't

NBA rookie of the year

p. tiddy, I'm having trouble nailing down your point. Do you want all drugs, including alcohol and tobacco, to be illegal?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

it is just one big giant coincidence that all of our legal drugs happen to be more harmful than the illegal drugs...
    They're more harmful because there is less awareness about their negative side effects. People trust doctors and their opinions.

Your average Joe or mom or whoever doesn't have a problen taking a pill from their doc to deal with their back pain or anxiety.. Whatever the issue is. They're not going to cop some heroine and shoot up because they're having a bad day. But they'll take their percocet.

If coke or herein became legal the same negative aura would surround it and they still wouldn't do it. It would be like tobacco where there'd be a million labels everywhere saying how bad it is.

Where are those labels for scripts? Nowhere because it's big business and it relatively new and shrouded in ignorance. Old drugs like coke and herein could never be protected in the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoooter
    p. tiddy, I'm having trouble nailing down your point. Do you want all drugs, including alcohol and tobacco, to be illegal?
    Alcohol and Tobacco are impossible to make illegal ( is there a country that has accomplished that?). If it was possible to regulate those two things then I would most definitely be for it. Each year both alcohol and tobacco kill thousands THAT DONT EVEN DRINK OR SMOKE!

but my point is that with the exception of pot, I would prefer the drugs that are currently illegal to remain that way. I like coke and heroine in the black market where those that sell that poison are forced to live a hard life.