Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    College superstar AintNoSunshine's Avatar

Default Re: Derrick Favors & Jazz REach Agreement ... 4 year/ 49 mill

OK Jazz, that'll help you stay irrelevant for quite a while

Err, not thrilled with Hayward getting a bigger contract than Favors. I really like him as a player, but he seems like that AK, jack of all trades type guy. Not good enough to be the 1 or 2 guy on a good team, but someone who's a sneaky good 3 or 4 guy.

I was always worried that someone would offer him a stupid contract and force the Jazz to spend $50 million+ on him. Get him for $8-$9 million a year and he's worth every penny. Start going $12+ million and it's not looking good.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong
    Err, not thrilled with Hayward getting a bigger contract than Favors. I really like him as a player, but he seems like that AK, jack of all trades type guy. Not good enough to be the 1 or 2 guy on a good team, but someone who's a sneaky good 3 or 4 guy.

I was always worried that someone would offer him a stupid contract and force the Jazz to spend $50 million+ on him. Get him for $8-$9 million a year and he's worth every penny. Start going $12+ million and it's not looking good.
    He's not a go to guy but he's easily their best player right now. He plays at both ends unlike Favors. I'd rather pay him than Favors.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong
    I didn't like him getting paid before this year, but someone was gonna give him a deal like this in restricted free agency at a minimum, so it's better to lock him up now, rather than risk having to give him the max if he does end the year as a 15ppg/12rpg guy (which is about what he averages in his per36).

Larry Sanders just got about the exact same deal recently, so it's market value for him.
    This is the problem with blocking your young talent. Who knows what Favors is? He never played a meaningful minute and built most of his stats against bench players. Its shocking to me that Millsap got 9M and he is getting this deal.

I would rather make him show me something before I gave him this pile, even if it meant I would have to pay a little more at the end of the season.

And Sanders is an ELITE defensive player. Top 5 in the game. His value is off the charts; he is top 36 RAPM.

Quote Originally Posted by HurricaneKid
    This is the problem with blocking your young talent. Who knows what Favors is? He never played a meaningful minute and built most of his stats against bench players. Its shocking to me that Millsap got 9M and he is getting this deal.

I would rather make him show me something before I gave him this pile, even if it meant I would have to pay a little more at the end of the season.

And Sanders is an ELITE defensive player. Top 5 in the game. His value is off the charts; he is top 36 RAPM.
    Favors has looked like an elite defender too and that is what they are paying him for.

Nice artice, below pretty much sums up the signing from my POV.
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...s-for-the-jazz

Favors won't start earning that money this season, and that's the key point here. In his fourth season, the last on his rookie contract, Favors will finally get a chance to start. The Jazz are betting that after such a season, Favors will have emerged as the sort of restricted free agent to whom some team would have offered a max deal — forcing the Jazz to match at that level. If it's right, Utah will have saved itself some valuable cap space by acting early, just as Philadelphia (Jrue Holiday, now gone) and especially Golden State (Stephen Curry) did a year ago by acting in advance of restricted free agency. There are at least eight teams with the potential for max-level cap room next summer, and though a few are already crowded on the front line (Detroit, perhaps Orlando), there are at least a couple that would have loomed as potentially aggressive suitors for Favors. The Mavs, Suns, and Wizards all come to mind, though Washington will have to decline some pricey options on its own rookie-scale guys (and Snakey the Snake) to achieve that position.
    If Favors falls short, Utah won’t have been disastrously wrong, though waiting so long to give Favors a central role cost Utah the chance to watch him outperform his rookie contract over multiple seasons — a key source of production-over-salary profits. It's not ideal to pay a $10 million player about $12 million a year, but it's not a massive failure, either — especially when the guy is 22, with a real willingness to play defense. And as the salary cap jumps by a couple million over each of the next two seasons, Favors’s deal will look proportionally even better.
    Last edited by El Kabong; 10-21-2013 at 03:21 PM.

[QUOTE=El Kabong]Nice artice, below pretty much sums up the signing from my POV.
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...s-for-the-jazz

The Jazz are betting that after such a season, Favors will have emerged as the sort of restricted free agent to whom some team would have offered a max deal

While LeBron James was the overwhelming favorite, Kyrie Irving received votes from NBA general managers as the best player with whom they'd like to begin a franchise. In the recent anonymous NBA.com poll, Irving received 3.4 percent of the votes, falling well behind James (89.7 percent) and Kevin Durant (6.9 percent). It isn't clear if all the GMs participated and if not, how many were polled. Irving also received votes as the player most likely to break out this season. Anthony Davis, Andre Drummond and Derrick Favors were the top three vote getters.
    I'd go with Kanter, Hayward and Burks ahead of Favors.

Local High School Star

Jazz going to spend nearly $100 mil on Gordon Hayward and Derrick Favors?? LOL

That's a sure way to stay mediocre for many years to come.

He looked worthy of his contract and than some tonight.

That's money down the drain. He hasn't shown enough to warrant that kind of contract. This is Bargnani or Hedo level of being overpaid. In a few years the Jazz will have gone nowhere and Favors will be averaging 15 and 10. It seems like all you have to be is the best player on a bad team and you'll get a big contract.

Quote Originally Posted by RoseCity07
    That's money down the drain. He hasn't shown enough to warrant that kind of contract. This is Bargnani or Hedo level of being overpaid. In a few years the Jazz will have gone nowhere and Favors will be averaging 15 and 10. It seems like all you have to be is the best player on a bad team and you'll get a big contract.
    I agree. He is a decent player and has shown some promise, but this is a huge gamble. People talk about how he has had to play behind others and has had limited minutes. But in only 23 mpg, he averaged 3.2 fouls per game. That is quite a bit. Can he even stay on the floor for extended minutes the entire seasons? There are too many question marks for Favors. This entire contract is based on potential alone. It may pan out, but too many times teams get stuck with mediocre players with big contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by RoseCity07
    He's not their best player. Arguably their best defender. I'd rather pay him what he got than the headcase Cousins max that's for sure!

This entire contract is based on potential alone. It may pan out, but too many times teams get stuck with mediocre players with big contracts.
    Most of them are at this stage.

Gentleman Desperado East_Stone_Ya's Avatar

I remember last year he had a monster game in preseason against Blazers and i was thinking there would more like this. Now he will be given minutes to see if he can produce it on a nightly basis or not.

Quote Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
    But in only 23 mpg, he averaged 3.2 fouls per game. That is quite a bit. Can he even stay on the floor for extended minutes the entire seasons?
    thats definitely an issue

but its an issue lots of young big men have, and almost all of them grow out of it. tyson chandler, a guy favors might want to model his game after, fouled at an even worse age, when he was 2 years older than favors, but he grew out of it, like most players do.