Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: I got my first speeding ticket. Looking for some advice.

Go to your local police station and tell them to go **** themselves.

Make sure to act hard and intimidate them. It will only work if you scare them a little. Also question their manhood and insinuate you often have sexual relations with the wives and/or mothers.

Pay the ticket, you were in the wrong. If you hit the 30 sign going 47 you started slowing down too late. Not to mention if there is a sign with an arrow giving you a head's up it's switching to 30 if that's there.

Also not only that, but if you don't pay the ticket and plead not guilty they'll just charge you court fees for using more of their time to deal with. Pleading not guilty is only worth it if the ticket fee is worth thousands of dollars. Not speeding ticket chump change.

Show up to your court date. Dont plea or pay the ticket before going to your court date.

Hopefully the officer doesnt show up and the ticket will be dropped. (Ive had 4 tickets dropped simply because the officer who wrote the ticket didnt show up to court)

If the officer does show up, plead guilty, if your a first time offender they will reduce the ticket amount and you can just pay it and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by rufuspaul
    Depends on the state where you live and your insurance co. You could end up paying a lot more in insurance premiums than you would in court costs. I got written up for going 68 in a 55 last year. Called up a lawyer friend and it turned out he went to law school with the DA of the county where I got pulled. One phone call and it was reduced to "improper equipment". Paid the fine and didn't get any insurance points.
    Typical rich white guy.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

it doesn't matter if the ticket carries points or not, insurance companies will just look at whether or not the infraction you plead to was a moving violation or not.

it's cheaper to play a maximum fine than to have your insurance company raise premiums on you.

NBA rookie of the year It's A VC3!!!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by enayes
    I was given a speeding ticket last night for going 47 in a 30. I live in upstate New York and this is my first speeding ticket. He got me right after the zone changed from 55 to 30.

I mailed in the ticket with a NOT GUILTY plea. From reading online it seems that first time offenders usually get the ticket reduced and there's always the possibility that the cop doesn't show.

Does anyone have any advice on how I should proceed? Or what I should say in court?
    The "cop not showing thing" is some strange ass myth. Even if he doesn't show, you're still going to end up paying in some cases. Most cases though, you end up going free if you plead not guilty.

I recently got a ticket in New York as well so this is how it went for me.

Cop: After checking your record, this is your first violation and we're going to give you a $150 fine and no points on your license.

Me: Can we get it lowered to $100.

Cop: No, we'll do $125 though.

And that's what I ended up paying.

This is how it goes when you show up to court. Those shit heads still get their money if you plead guilty because when you get the ticket mailed home there will be a $75-115 surcharge, which is a dog shit move to do. My federal taxes already pay their salary yet they want to leech more money with a ridiculous surcharge.
    Last edited by It's A VC3!!!; 10-21-2013 at 07:49 PM.

Stop speeding and just pay the ticket. You broke the law, suffer the consequences. Anyways, that's what my parents said when I got my first and only ticket back in high school.

exercise profits littl MadeFromDust's Avatar

I was given a speeding ticket last night for going 47 in a 30. I live in upstate New York and this is my first speeding ticket. He got me right after the zone changed from 55 to 30.

I mailed in the ticket with a NOT GUILTY plea. From reading online it seems that first time offenders usually get the ticket reduced and there's always the possibility that the cop doesn't show.

Does anyone have any advice on how I should proceed? Or what I should say in court?
    Hire a lawyer. BAM! They know what to do.

dont speed again

I've heard that if you postpone your court date there is a solid chance the officer doesn't show.

I've heard that if you postpone your court date there is a solid chance the officer doesn't show.

How did you react when the officer gave you the ticket? A cop friend of mine said that if you're polite, accept the ticket and don't whine or make stupid remarks the officer will more than likely forget all about it. Then when the court date comes around he'll either not show or he won't remember anything. If, on the other hand, you make a complete ass of yourself the officer will take meticulous notes and he'll be ready come court time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers 7
    Typical rich white guy.
    It's not how much money you have, it's who you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    Pay the ticket, you were in the wrong. If you hit the 30 sign going 47 you started slowing down too late. Not to mention if there is a sign with an arrow giving you a head's up it's switching to 30 if that's there.

Also not only that, but if you don't pay the ticket and plead not guilty they'll just charge you court fees for using more of their time to deal with. Pleading not guilty is only worth it if the ticket fee is worth thousands of dollars. Not speeding ticket chump change.
    Reason #187 to always do the opposite of what Meticode recommends.

I was very polite and didn't say anything. Here's how it went:

Officer: "Do you know why I pulled you over?"
    Me: "No."
    Officer: "Do you know how fast you were going?"
    Me: "Umm.. 30 something.
    Officer: "I got you going 47, this is a 30 MPH zone. Sit tight. (He walks away with my license and registration to write the ticket)

He comes back, explains that I can mail in the ticket or show up in court on the date specified. He asked if I had any questions and I said No.

I'm hoping that if the officer does show up he/the judge will offer a deal, as in no points on my license but I pay a fine. If he shows and doesn't offer anything I can't really argue with the radar gun having me at 47, right?

I mean I was slowing down and when the officer was behind me I was going 30, but I was speeding when I passed him.

Banned

AARufusPaul dishing out life lessons free of charge.

Aint nobody got time for Waynicode advice unless he's outlining how to destroy a marriage being suffocating and needy.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

I was very polite and didn't say anything. Here's how it went:

Officer: "Do you know why I pulled you over?"
    Me: "No."
    Officer: "Do you know how fast you were going?"
    Me: "Umm.. 30 something.
    Officer: "I got you going 47, this is a 30 MPH zone. Sit tight. (He walks away with my license and registration to write the ticket)

He comes back, explains that I can mail in the ticket or show up in court on the date specified. He asked if I had any questions and I said No.

I'm hoping that if the officer does show up he/the judge will offer a deal, as in no points on my license but I pay a fine. If he shows and doesn't offer anything I can't really argue with the radar gun having me at 47, right?

I mean I was slowing down and when the officer was behind me I was going 30, but I was speeding when I passed him.
    you will lose 99/100 times if you try to have a trial over a speeding ticket, especially if you are going to represent yourself. Its just very hard to overcome the radar/laser. Just go to your court date, plead not guilty, and request to speak with the prosecutor. Ask the prosecutor if you can have no points. That's all you on your own can really do. You can hire a lawyer, they know exactly what can and can't be done in certain courtrooms.

Some cities/courts refuse to allow reductions on speeding tickets as a matter of course. Sometimes certain prosecutors will never reduce a speeding charge. sometimes certain judges will refuse to accept a reduction to a speeding charge.

Also; - don't dress like an asshole, always address the judge or magistrate as "your honor", and always be extra courteous to every single person in the court, whether they be the person taking your fine money or the judge.

Kobe= 1st round loser secund2nun's Avatar

If you don't feel like taking the online class you can give it to a lawyer. Often times they will crush the ticket for you if you give them like 100-200 dollars or whatever. My dad has done it before. I'm not sure what exactly they do, but they take care of it.