Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: I got my first speeding ticket. Looking for some advice.

UPDATE:

I mailed in the not-guilty plea and today I received a response from the court. I have a pre-trial conference/appearance with the assistant district attorney scheduled for 11/26. Hopefully they will just offer me a lighter sentence and I'll be on my way.

I had traffic court last Tuesday day after the holiday. Got there 10mins early and waited for 40mins (along with other people). Judge brought us all in and waived the tickets plus refunded us our money. I just got my refund check today. $164

The wait was annoying tho. I thought the appointment time you had was when you would be seen. Unfortunately that isnt how it works. Judge said she usually gives cop/people 15-20min leeway due to traffic. But anything past that? No.

Guessing the cop was busy that day since it was a day after the holiday.

UPDATE:

Met with the assistant district attorney today. Without even pleading my case I got my 4 point speeding ticket reduced to a 0 point "leaving a car door open unsafely". She mentioned my clean record and seemed to like me.

If I plead guilty I would of had 4 points and a $200-$350 fine.
    Instead I received 0 points and had to pay a $93 surcharge and a $50 fine.

Quote Originally Posted by enayes
    UPDATE:

Met with the assistant district attorney today. Without even pleading my case I got my 4 point speeding ticket reduced to a 0 point "leaving a car door open unsafely". She mentioned my clean record and seemed to like me.

If I plead guilty I would of had 4 points and a $200-$350 fine.
    Instead I received 0 points and had to pay a $93 surcharge and a $50 fine.
    Good for you man. I'm glad you didn't take my horrible advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Stempel, HERB
    AARufusPaul dishing out life lessons free of charge.

Aint nobody got time for Waynicode advice unless he's outlining how to destroy a marriage being suffocating and needy.
    You're so mean.

NBA rookie of the year It's A VC3!!!'s Avatar

I got two speeding tickets in my life. The first one I pleaded not guilty to and went to court and asked the cop if he can lower the $150 ticket at all. He lowered is to $125 and I paid it a couple of weeks later. The second time I got a ticket I pleaded guilty and got a ticket mailed home to me for $115. Reason for the difference in price? Likely court fees and some misc. fees. You already pleaded not guilty but when it comes to speeding, just plead guilty and pay the ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by It's A VC3!!!
    I got two speeding tickets in my life. The first one I pleaded not guilty to and went to court and asked the cop if he can lower the $150 ticket at all. He lowered is to $125 and I paid it a couple of weeks later. The second time I got a ticket I pleaded guilty and got a ticket mailed home to me for $115. Reason for the difference in price? Likely court fees and some misc. fees. You already pleaded not guilty but when it comes to speeding, just plead guilty and pay the ticket.
    If you plead guilty you get points on your license, which raise your insurance. Yes, I know you can take an online course to lower them, but you can only do that once every 18 months (at least in NY).

I was going 47 in a 30, the ticket was going to be at least $150 but could have been over $300, with 4 points on my license. Either way it worked out better for me pleading not guilty.

It also keeps my record relatively clean, since the speeding ticket was reduced to a minor infraction.

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    Pay the ticket, you were in the wrong. If you hit the 30 sign going 47 you started slowing down too late. Not to mention if there is a sign with an arrow giving you a head's up it's switching to 30 if that's there.

Also not only that, but if you don't pay the ticket and plead not guilty they'll just charge you court fees for using more of their time to deal with. Pleading not guilty is only worth it if the ticket fee is worth thousands of dollars. Not speeding ticket chump change.
    you seem like the kinda guy who would walk in on his wife sucking some dude's dick and be like "awww... shucks... come on Sandra, really? I'll let you two finish up but it'd be nice if you didn't make a habit out of this. at least not in the house"

WEAK ASS

Quote Originally Posted by Quizno
    you seem like the kinda guy who would walk in on his wife sucking some dude's dick and be like "awww... shucks... come on Sandra, really? I'll let you two finish up but it'd be nice if you didn't make a habit out of this. at least not in the house"

WEAK ASS

If you plead guilty you get points on your license, which raise your insurance. Yes, I know you can take an online course to lower them, but you can only do that once every 18 months (at least in NY).

I was going 47 in a 30, the ticket was going to be at least $150 but could have been over $300, with 4 points on my license. Either way it worked out better for me pleading not guilty.

It also keeps my record relatively clean, since the speeding ticket was reduced to a minor infraction.
    No, I got no points taken off my license. That was my first offense and we had agreed to just pay a fine. If I showed up to court and said "No, I'm not paying that fine", I would've had to go to trial in front of the judge with a lawyer then I would've had points deducted. And no online course either. And I'm in NY.

No, I got no points taken off my license. That was my first offense and we had agreed to just pay a fine. If I showed up to court and said "No, I'm not paying that fine", I would've had to go to trial in front of the judge with a lawyer then I would've had points deducted. And no online course either. And I'm in NY.
    If you are ticketed for going 1-10 MPH over the speed limit it's 3 points on your license, 11-20 is 4 points. (At least for NY)

If you pleaded guilty to the ticket, why were you not given any points?

If you are ticketed for going 1-10 MPH over the speed limit it's 3 points on your license, 11-20 is 4 points. (At least for NY)

If you pleaded guilty to the ticket, why were you not given any points?
    I don't know but I just wasn't. I had also written in the available space to the judge that this was my first ticket in about 10 months and it was due to having my grandma home alone and having to go watch her. Usually you get points deducted from your license but I didn't, and I know your not accusing me but I have no reason to lie. And I live in NY too. Rockland county to be exact.

I don't know but I just wasn't. I had also written in the available space to the judge that this was my first ticket in about 10 months and it was due to having my grandma home alone and having to go watch her. Usually you get points deducted from your license but I didn't, and I know your not accusing me but I have no reason to lie. And I live in NY too. Rockland county to be exact.
    Points get added to your license, not deducted.

You must of just had your charge reduced, but I'm surprised they would change anything with a guilty plea.

Take a defensive driving course at your local driving school. They'll take off some points that were added I believe 4-5 points.