Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Russel Wilson = GOAT Johnny Jones's Avatar

Default Re: Prime Ray Allen vs James Harden

James Harden right now isn't even close to prime Allen.

Ummmmmmm

I dont know

Very good NBA starter

Ray Allen. He had an all around game and wasn't reliant on refs calling his arm flails on the drive.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I like Harden, but I think he's been blown out of proportion a bit. It was mentioned here, but warrants reinforcement. Ray was a much better player off the ball, and frankly far more well rounded with it. Ray could play a little point. Could be totally trusted in the middle of a break. Harden is really more of a pick and roll savant than anything else.

And that doesn't began to cover the chasm defensively. Ray was at worst a notch below elite as a defender. Harden is barely passable.

I'm curious to see Harden play with Howard, a guy who will want scheduled touches. Oddly they're a good pair in my head, because Howard doesn't really deserve the touches he demands to me, and he can excel in Harden's PnRs, while helping protect him on D.

But I don't think it's coincidence Harden was a 6th man on a great roster, which is not a bad thing.

It's also crazy he's only 23. Probably because he just doesn't seem as elitely athletic as you envision a 23 y/o all NBA SG.

Ray and it has not and may never even be close.

Ray Allen hardly ever made the playoff before joining Boston. Only 4 out of 11 seasons and two of those are first round losses.

Not sure if OP has ever seen a prime Ray Allen

Prime Jesus? Hell yes.

People really forget how good of an all-around player was. Outside shooting, attacking the hoop, dunking, creating his own shot. There's really nothing James Harden does that prime Ray Allen couldn't do.

Jesus

Local High School Star

Harden is 23 and hasnt even come close to reaching his potential.A very unfair comparison to compare a HOF to a guy who is so young. Compare then when they both are retierd.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    Ray Allen hardly ever made the playoff before joining Boston. Only 4 out of 11 seasons and two of those are first round losses.
    true but you have to look back at the teams he was surrounded with when he was the franchise player...they weren't very good, especially in seattle

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    I like Harden, but I think he's been blown out of proportion a bit. It was mentioned here, but warrants reinforcement. Ray was a much better player off the ball, and frankly far more well rounded with it. Ray could play a little point. Could be totally trusted in the middle of a break. Harden is really more of a pick and roll savant than anything else.

And that doesn't began to cover the chasm defensively. Ray was at worst a notch below elite as a defender. Harden is barely passable.

I'm curious to see Harden play with Howard, a guy who will want scheduled touches. Oddly they're a good pair in my head, because Howard doesn't really deserve the touches he demands to me, and he can excel in Harden's PnRs, while helping protect him on D.

But I don't think it's coincidence Harden was a 6th man on a great roster, which is not a bad thing.

It's also crazy he's only 23. Probably because he just doesn't seem as elitely athletic as you envision a 23 y/o all NBA SG.
    I'm glad to see some ppl remember how good prime ray allen was...the newer generation that only saw him with boston seems to think all he was is a spot up shooter

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boston C's
    I'm glad to see some ppl remember how good prime ray allen was...the newer generation that only saw him with boston seems to think all he was is a spot up shooter
    No they see him as playing off the ball. Running off of screens is not spot up shooting. The main thing a prime Ray has over the current Harden is that he was a much more effective half court player offensively since he actually made mid range shots.

Harden also plays in the post rule change era where it's easier for guards to get to the line and score in general. Ray Allen was at his best in 2001 I'd say. He should have shot more during his Buck tenure. He was too unselfish on the Bucks in those early 2000's.
    Last edited by Smoke117; 10-23-2013 at 02:07 AM.