Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: fans living outside the states...

Quote Originally Posted by cos88
    growing up i was a huge michael ruffin fan. he is huge here in europe, especially in central and eastern europe where i live.
    i remember after his career night i got so wasted that the next morning i didn't regret losing my nokia 3410.
    This can't be serious. Michael Ruffin!?

I rule the local playground

Lakers because of Michael Jordan.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzamanIRL
    Lakers because of Michael Jordan.
    You're a fan of the Lakrrs because of Michael Jordan? How does that work? Wtf is going on in this thread? lol.

Est. since 1997, when I moved there.

Next Great White Hope QuebecBaller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alexd
    Seattle Supersonics cause of Kemp and Gary Payton.
    This

Since they moved to OKC, I never had a favorite team... But I would love to choose one

Quote Originally Posted by Random_Guy
    why are you a fan of a certain team? is it because of a certain player?(eg kobe bron) or because of an event? Im just curious because I live in taiwan, and is a relatively new fan of the nba(about 3~4 years).
    I started out a Celtic fan(still is) because of a documentary I watched when I was a kid. But I've never been really attached to a team. I generally just support a decent and exciting team each year (obviously still keeping a close watch on the celtics.) This year its the warriors for me, but it just feels unsatisfactory because you never really "feel it" even if they win. And because I don't have any attachments, I dont really care about the rivalries and stuff.

So, why do you support your team?
    Interested to hear from UKballer, since not many people would choose the bobcats
    Well i was born in fr. Yugoslavia (Croatia) in the 80s, Basketball was & still is maybe the most popular sport there than anywhere else in Europe (or maybe World with an exception being America ofcourse). My father was a player turned coach and was a huge Celtics fan, so i was into playing & watching basketball and NBA as early as i could possibly remember... thankfully my father recorded 100s of games (VHS) mostly with Celtics, got into the NBA fairly easy watching Larry Bird who is one of my favorite players of all time, lots of Lakers/Magic aswell... next thing you know i just got in time having the pleasure of growing up watching live games of the greatest player of all time doing his thing... fell in love with Reggie Miller.. Penny Hardaway.. and so on... NBA was inevitable...

The only team i ever essentially cheered for was the 90s Indiana Pacers (Reggie's fault)
    Last edited by pauk; 10-26-2013 at 08:41 PM.

I idolised Jordan as many others growing up as a kid. That along with the basketball card craze that hit here in Australia during the early 90's reaffirmed the love of basketball at the time. I then found myself liking Rodman during the second threepeat, Noah is now my current favourite player. I appreciate guys who play solid and passionate defense.

My passion for the Bulls is strong. I could never find myself ditching my team for anyone. I've had the opportunity to visit Chicago and also go to a few games at the United Center. I would give anything to see the Bulls steamroll the Heat and win a championship in this era.

Anyways, good thread and thanks for asking.

It changes every year, depending on who makes the playoffs, but I rooted for the Bulls in the 90's, the Kings in the early 00's and the Celtics in the later 00's. Currently, I'm not really following any team, but watch for the games themselves. Might root for Brooklyn this year. Also Toronto, because I like many of their players.

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shifty
    I'm a kobe fan originally and love the lakers. Have visited l.a. a number of times and am absolutely in love with that city. Can't see myself supporting another team.
    What in gods name made you fall in love with LA?

Not living in US, in a NBA city (or near) i think was one of the reasons to why i couldnt really find passion/love towards a team/city and naturally become a hardcore NBA team fan, think that might be a problem for other non-americans aswell.... I didnt like the pressure of choosing a team, just randomly pick a team to cheer for, didnt make sense to me, didnt like becoming a homer either as i loved to many players & teams and didnt really want to become a team fan just because of a player i like plays there (most non-american NBA fans do that, hell, 99.9% do that i believe)... so i said why not screw that part and just enjoy the NBA action.... it still is so unfortunately and i love it...
    Last edited by pauk; 10-26-2013 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    Not living in US, in a NBA city (or near) i think was one of the reasons to why i couldnt really find passion/love towards a team/city and naturally become a hardcore NBA team fan, think that might be a problem for other non-americans aswell.... I didnt like the pressure of choosing a team, just randomly pick a team to cheer for, didnt make sense to me, didnt like becoming a homer either as i loved to many players & teams and didnt really want to become a team fan just because of a player i like plays there (most non-american NBA fans do that, hell, 99.9% do that i believe)... so i said why not screw that part and just enjoy the NBA action.... it still is so unfortunately and i love it...

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

Vancouver Grizzlies because of Eric Montross. He's pretty much Obama in Guatemala.

Poido123, did Luc Longley (Australian afterall) have something to do with you becoming a Bulls fan aswell? :)

I had a country man there myself (Toni Kukoc), loved Pippen to death, MJ, Rodman.... am surprised i didnt go with the Bulls, but i guess it felt kindof like cheering for the Yankees you know, it was just an overkill of epicness and cheering for Jordan was just not amusing lol, the guy was the most unfairly good player ever, everything was so extremly one sided, it was inevitable who was gona win & what player was gona humiliate the other (Bulls/Jordan were THAT great and i believe the best ever), i liked underdogs more like the Pacers with Reggie.
    Last edited by pauk; 10-26-2013 at 09:08 PM.

I started watching NBA in early 2000, Loved AI and Tim Duncan and hated the lakers alot.

I was fan of the Sixers, Spurs at that time.

Then i stopped for about 2-3 years, and after that i saw the Cavs playing and saw Lebron, since then i decided to be fan of Lebron.

I remember back in 05-06 season i also hated Miami, Now i'm cheerng for them. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    Poido123, did Luc Longley (Australian afterall) have something to do with you becoming a Bulls fan aswell? :)

I had a country man there myself (Toni Kukoc), loved Pippen to death, MJ, Rodman.... am surprised i didnt go with the Bulls, but i guess it felt kindof like cheering for the Yankees you know, it was just an overkill and cheering for Jordan was just not amusing lol, the guy was the most unfairly good player ever, it was inevitable to who was gona win & what player was gona humiliate the other, i liked underdogs more like the Pacers with Reggie.

No, not really. I started rooting for the Bulls at the start of the threepeat, so Luc Longley was an added bonus to it.

I know what you're saying and it annoys me that I am immeidately assumed to be a Jordan stan, when nowadays he is no longer my favourite player.

Having Jordan as a part of your team's history is a privilege and a curse when it comes to sterotyping the type of Bulls fans we have.