Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: fans living outside the states...

Quote Originally Posted by poido123
    No, not really. I started rooting for the Bulls at the start of the threepeat, so Luc Longley was an added bonus to it.

I know what you're saying and it annoys me that I am immeidately assumed to be a Jordan stan, when nowadays he is no longer my favourite player.

Having Jordan as a part of your team's history is a privilege and a curse when it comes to sterotyping the type of Bulls fans we have.
    Ah ok..... and please dont misunderstand what i said before, didnt mean it like that.... i mean just because a player got you into a team doesnt mean you will bail the team when he leaves, the player gets you into it and then the team itself converts you into a true allegiant fan eventually, thats what i meant.... glad it worked for you, it didnt work for me though, but that is more because of choice, wanted to soak in all the NBA action from all teams/players... i love it, the only disadvantage is ofcourse not being able to witness the sheer joy when your favorite team goes into thrillers & especially raise that trophy....

So yea, dont worry about that........ people dont know you thoroughly and hence build their own interpretations automatically & stereotypically all the time, especially on ISH
    Last edited by pauk; 10-26-2013 at 09:27 PM.

70p game: DBook-1 MJ-0 livingby3's's Avatar

I was a player fan first then a team fan. Watched the NBA on the TV once, saw Mavericks Nash's game and i fell in love with the way he play. Ever since I followed Nash closely. And that's when a couple seasons later I moved with him to Phoenix.

The mid 00's Suns were a joy to watch. Through the years i always loved the other players outside Nash that played for the Suns. LB, Bell, Jrich, Eddie House, Hill, Tim Thomas, Marion, Stat, Burke, Diaw, Qrich, JJ, Dragic, Frye, Jdud, Lopez, Lou, Redd, VC, Dowdell

Even though the Suns management had made some rough decisions over the last decade, I became a fan of the Suns. Rather than a Nash fan which i was to start. I admired Nash as a player for the things he brought to Phoenix, and also for what he achieved there. i.e MVSteve. I felt rooted to the Suns and even after Nash left, they are my team to root for.

i was born in ohio, so i root for the cavs.

also, it didnt hurt that the cavs had lebron when i started following the nba

When I was younger I liked the look of the Blazers jerseys so I liked them that way Only started being a fan when I actually began to watch more and more games and fell in love with Brandon Roy.

Now I'm proud to call myself a Blazer fan.

Serious playground baller crunk-juice's Avatar

lived in the UK till 2000 before coming to Indiana. easy team to grow fond of.

I hereby decree that Bulls fans shall henceforth be known as "Bulls fαgs". I have deemed it so, and so it shall be.

Thanks for the replies guys, i guess what I wanted to ask was how to really associate myself with a team?

OKC, like many others I started as a player only fan. I liked Durant's game coming out of college and started watching Seattle's games when they drafted him. Nowadays I identify myself more of a fan the Thunder than Kevin Durant.

Quote Originally Posted by Random_Guy
    Thanks for the replies guys, i guess what I wanted to ask was how to really associate myself with a team?
    Don't do that. Pick a team based on players and the coach/front office. If you like them then support them. They don't have to be the best but they should be players you players you like and they should be giving their 100% to win. People who support a team based on where they were born don't understand nba.
    Supporting your college and country's team is different from supporting an NBA team as NBA teams are privately owned. They just have a city's name to get more money from fans.

70p game: DBook-1 MJ-0 livingby3's's Avatar

I think it just comes natural. People support different teams for various reasons.
    Some like winners/top dogs. Some like underdogs. Some are player fans. Some for the teams' style/structure. One can be a learner of the game and just watch the NBA as a whole, just pure watching basketball and enjoying the sport. Over time It will come naturally when the passion for a team grows.

obviously nba fans that don't have a home team will have to pick a player or players they like to root for.......then if a asshole of a player join "your" team is it then easy to not like the team anymore ?

College superstar BlackWhiteGreen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tomtucker
    obviously nba fans that don't have a home team will have to pick a player or players they like to root for.......then if a asshole of a player join "your" team is it then easy to not like the team anymore ?
    It depends on who else was left - in terms of players I really dislike, only Wade would really make me think "do I really want to root for this guy?". But if I still liked the other players and the front office I'd stick with them.

I was in a similar situation with my football team in 2009 - we signed a player who had been sent down for causing death by dangerous driving. But they're my hometown team and I wouldn't stop supporting them for any reason, so it's not the same... it also helped he scored 33 goals and sent us up