Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Default Re: The Center Position: Is it weak?

Quote Originally Posted by DuMa
    half of the list in OP are really power forwards who play center almost full time. the center position is so weak that power forwards can play the 5 hole can fool people like the OP into thinking that there are decent centers.

the 80s and 90s had real centers. it used to be really obvious what a center and a power forward is. and no a stretch 4 isnt a power forward
    what in laimbeer's game (for example) isnt present in today's game?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyMcAdocious
    Also remember that along with Dwight, Yao, Bogut, and Oden were supposed to be headlining this era of centers. All three of those guys have had terribly injury-plagued careers. Now we can't be sure how Oden would have turned out, but Bogut was a legit anchor down low and Yao was a borderline superstar.

As much as I like Yao the person, I feel like history overrates him.

I recall those Rockets teams generally achieved the same results when he was there for long stretches as when he was out for long stretches.

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    Well it shouldn't include them. Leonard just got bumped to 3rd string center by Joel Freeland. It is laughable that he was even mentioned as if "not including including him" meant something valuable. Might as well say "And this doesn't include Jason Collins."
    The point is that he was an example of a touted young player (just drafted) and lopez was an example of a journey man vet type.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolball#52
    As much as I like Yao the person, I feel like history overrates him.

I recall those Rockets teams generally achieved the same results when he was there for long stretches as when he was out for long stretches.
    yeah, he is massively overrated. He was so ****ing slwo that a poor defender like okur looked great against him.

Serious playground baller SHABBA's Avatar

Perkins is top 25 all-time for centers IMO.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound
    The point is that he was an example of a touted young player (just drafted) and lopez was an example of a journey man vet type.
    "Was" is the key word. He isn't anymore. His stock has fallen so much that he isn't worth being mentioned anymore.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolball#52
    Ok bro now youre just purposely being a bigot.
    As your subtitle says: "No."

Quote Originally Posted by SHABBA

I am your soldier!

what in laimbeer's game (for example) isnt present in today's game?
    Balls.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    Balls.
    fair enough. He is one of my all time favorite players. But I also think the idea of prior toughness/greatness is partly the it was better back then effect, as well as changes in rules. If you played like laimbeer today, you would be suspended for the season ever year. Also, the idea of massive back to the basket players at the center overstates their role (and forgets that the best lowpost scorer of the 80s - arguably- is a pf, McHale). Anyways....

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SHABBA
    Perkins isn't even Tom Boerwinkle level. Not even close. Boerwinkle would have gone 30 20 on Kendrick Perkins when he was a Celtic and Tom wasn't even a scoring center. Elmore Smith would have run rings around and over Perkins. Leroy Ellis would probably have JUMPED over Perkins. Brad Miller would take Perkins lunch money and make him cry, so would Tree Rollins. Perkins ain't gonna move Alton Lister. Seikaly would run him round like a big dog.

And we're not even talking about second tier guys like Jack Sikma.

No wait. All the guys in the OP list currently destroy Perkins on the regular.

Atlantic
    Lopez
    Chandler
    Jonas Christ
    Noel (long term)

Central
    Noah
    Bynum/Vag
    Drummond/Monroe
    Hibbert
    Sanders

Southeast
    Horford
    Big Al
    Vucevic
    Gortat

Southwest
    M Gasol
    Howard
    Davis
    Duncan

Northwest
    McGee (sure, hes a knucklehead)
    Pekovic
    Kanter

Pacific
    Bogut
    Pau
    Cousins

Quote Originally Posted by D.J.
    It's not weak, it's just obsolete. With today's game favoring perimeter players and outside play, points are really combo guards and centers are more like oversized 4s. The days of centers like Laimbeer and Parish are over.
    Ridiculous post and assumption.

http://youtu.be/zukRbA3y0qo?t=17m45s

Listen to the pros touch on this subject. Armchair experts who leap to the conclusion that the center position is 'obsolete' (simply because there are currently no dominant centers) are doing nothing but blowing smoke out their ass. The position is not and will never be obsolete. The simple fact of the matter is dominant and truly gifted centers are rare and always have been. There are never more than a few in the league at a time, and some times a few years go by where we see none. The last crop that had potential are injury prone so right now we're in a particularly void era of bigs. Our current era does have plenty of servicable centers, just no dominant ones. If you think this era or any era would render a Kareem or Shaq or Wilt 'obsolete' than you fail to understand the game of basketball.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 10-26-2013 at 06:21 PM.

The definition of the center position, and all others, change from generation to generation. Different strategies are found and deployed, resulting in the need for different types of players. Using the word "legit" can be vague. Do you mean good players who are centers, centers whose qualities represent the prototypical nature, or both?

You forgot Oden.

Watching Golden State playoff series with a hobbling bogut, unable to make a quick decisive move in the post, void of any quickness at all made me realise what we all have missed out on with this guy.

I firmly believe if healthy he would easily be the most well rounded centre the league has seen in years. He has a remarkable offensive/defensive balance, a few years ago finishing the league second in blocked shots and second in charges taken. If not for the wrist injury i imagine he would have been able to pull it together from the line and wouldn't so heavily favour the left handed hook. We know he can score given the touches and is an excellent offensive rebounder. If he was healthy and surrounded with shooter as dwight was in orlando I'm sure he would flourish with his passing ability. Dwights Career high in assists is 1.9. Bogut managed 3.2 in just his second season in the league, that number never dipped below 2. I understand SVG system led to a kick out and swing to the corner but surely Boguts passing skills would at least lead him to average four a game if every possession was run through him.

I imagine if Oden had been healthy he would be the most dominant but i doubt as well rounded as a healthy Bogut. Which Centre would you have wished had Dwights amazing durability?