Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default The era of the NWO on WCW Nitro/Thunder? Most entertaining era in wrestling ever?

http://youtu.be/0keslql2jWk?t=3m24s

I'm talking about when the story of the NWO first unfolded and took fans by surprise, when every week some new chapter in the story unfolded about the "WCW takeover" and you couldn't wait to see what it was. Hogan even 'ran for president' lmfao. Was that the most entertaining era of wrestling ever? I was a kid when it was going on but I remember it all like it was yesterday, that NWO guitar theme would start rockin and Hollywood, Nash, or Scott Hall would strut out like they owned the place (unless Goldberg music started then they'd all scatter like rats)

Eventually it got repetative and the WCW ceased to exist but for a brief moment in time I couldn't think of anything more entertaining when that was going on. Everyone had an NWO shirt. I don't watch wrestling anymore but my dad watches it every week still, and I catch glimpses of it on tv when he's watching and it looks awful and boring to me now. Where as I can browse Youtube vids of the WCW/NWO era and still find the stories and characters amusing. What do you guys think, any closet wrestler fans out there who still watch today that would like to chime in? Am I just being nostalgic or was wrestling more entertaining back then? I also remember bits and pieces of the Rock era from WWF/E and thought all the plots and characters at that time weren't even close to as entertaining as the WCW/NWO era
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 10-29-2013 at 12:32 AM.

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

Default Re: The era of the NWO on WCW Nitro/Thunder? Most entertaining era in wrestling ever?

People still watch wrestling? I feel like that's something you grow out of like using diapers or bisexuality. I stopped watching around the time the WWF became the WWE. I think I lost interest a little before that.

For those in their 20s+, how has it kept your interest? My realization of its over theatrical nature killed it for me, and I was maybe 10 years old at the time. I can't imagine watching wrestling now.

Peak wrestling for me was Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels. Whenever that was.

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

Default Re: The era of the NWO on WCW Nitro/Thunder? Most entertaining era in wrestling ever?

Yeah. The NWO revolutionized professional wrestling. Once they hit WCW, Basg at the Beach until starcade 97.. Some of the best wrestling television ever.

WWF from around the time of WM14 all the to mid 2001 put on the most consistently entertaining television in wrestling history.

But yeah, the NWO was the original badass stable, they fcked shit up, and was doing things nobody had seen at the time (heels constantly winning, dominating, coming through the crowd, the original invasion) it was magical to be a fan at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyMcAdocious
    People still watch wrestling? I feel like that's something you grow out of like using diapers or bisexuality. I stopped watching around the time the WWF became the WWE. I think I lost interest a little before that.

For those in their 20s+, how has it kept your interest? My realization of its over theatrical nature killed it for me, and I was maybe 10 years old at the time. I can't imagine watching wrestling now.
    I stopped watching sometime into the NWO / NWO wolfpack era (got repetative like I said and other things at the time were starting to interesting me like girls and... well girls) and the WWF didn't have anything that drew my attention either. Think I was about 12 or 13. Maybe age has something to do with it however, my dad still watches wrestling and the company I work for has many wrestling fans in it and I'm talking about people twice my age including the owner of the company, they had a wrestling themed company party a couple of years ago

Banned

I preferred the Austin 3:16 era, but after that, the NWO era is the best mainstream wrestling has ever been.

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyMcAdocious

Peak wrestling for me was Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels. Whenever that was.
    I stopped watching for the longest time and recently picked it back up casually.

Its a television show with a huge nostalgic factor for me, the characters entertaining and there are still guys like CM Punk for the older crowd to get behind. Also, I'm a fan of sports, and the athleticism displayed is some of the best in the world. When pulled off effectively it can provide interesting characters, compelling story arches mixed in with extreme athleticism in a larger than life atmosphere. It's a spectacle in a sense..

Yeah we know its pre determined and we know how some of the moves work and shit but there's still the aspect of putting together an entertaining match that's i guess magical in a way. In the same way you know Chris Angel isn't really splitting people in half, it's still a cool effect and when done well there's the lingering "how the fck did he do that" sensation.

I compare watching a wrestling PPV to a huge batman fan going to see the dark knight. You're excited because you're compelled by the story, interested in the characters and are excited for the payoff. Sure, you know batman isn't real and that they knew all along the joker would lose, but the experience of watching great storytelling like that unfold, no matter what form of media, can be appreciated.

Holy shit I just checked the dates of some of the last things I remember from being an active wrestling fan and I was only 11-12 years old when I stopped watching I thought I was a little bit older than that I remember the NWO era like it was yesterday, damn I feel old right now, that was 14 years ago, more years back than my age when I was watching it

WCW is 1997 was the best year for any promotion ever imo. Sting vs the nWo is possibly the best storyline ever (only Austin vs McMahon has an argument). They blew it at Starrcade '97 though.

Gentleman Desperado East_Stone_Ya's Avatar

Yes, those were entertaining years

the roots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfQ3IH-TWVI

Banned

I was in my college days during those times.

You kids really don't know how great NWO and Monday night wars were.

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree

You kids really don't know how great NWO and Monday night wars were.
    You were born in 1994... you were 3 years old when the NWO era began.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    You were born in 1994... you were 3 years old when the NWO era began.
    Math is not his strong suit
    First he says hes 19,now he says been watching
    the NBA for 26 years,and if he was in College
    back then,
    Then that means hes a guy in his mid 30s spending all his time on a message board trolling which isnt even sad or pathetic,its beyond that.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySic
    WCW is 1997 was the best year for any promotion ever imo. Sting vs the nWo is possibly the best storyline ever (only Austin vs McMahon has an argument). They blew it at Starrcade '97 though.
    WWF now WWE was better
    Hart vs Michaels,The Montreal Screwjob,
    Austin vs Michaels with Tyson,
    DX,The Nation of Domination,
    Triple H vs Rock matches,British Bulldog vs Hart,Michaels
    The Birth of The Rattlesnake,SCSA

WCW was great in 97,98
    but the NWO was like a virus,took over EVERYTHING
    started off with 3 members then became over 60
    had like 4 different versions of the group
    (Original,Black&White,Wolfpac,Hollywood,Japan,Silv er)

NWO had so many members they could have started their own company with the number of people they had.

3-5 okay,6-10 yeah
    but 40-60 come on.

WCW was on a roll 97-98 and then sht hit the fan
    Nash laying down for Hogan,NWO consuming everything,Breaking the 4th Wall Completely,Talking about scripts,doing the "job",bookers,"kayfabe",heels,faces,
    Bret Hart coming in(one of the biggest stars then,and most talked about)
    and completely being misused,Goldberg losing and then becoming irrelevant and
    now what?,Having fn Robocop beat up stars,having a feud with Chucky the Killer Doll,and Most Importantly but Worst of ALL

making David Arquette compete in a tag match
    and him Winning the WORLD Title by Pinning Eric Bischoff
    then Arquette defending it in a triple cage
    Ugh,ugh

WHY?Even Arquette didnt want to win it,saw what would happen.
    Worst Decision EVER

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen
    Yeah. The NWO revolutionized professional wrestling. Once they hit WCW, Basg at the Beach until starcade 97.. Some of the best wrestling television ever.

WWF from around the time of WM14 all the to mid 2001 put on the most consistently entertaining television in wrestling history.

But yeah, the NWO was the original badass stable, they fcked shit up, and was doing things nobody had seen at the time (heels constantly winning, dominating, coming through the crowd, the original invasion) it was magical to be a fan at the time.

Four Horsemen were that stable long before NWO and DX,Evolution,Shield

The og stable,Four Horsemen.

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree