Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Good college starter Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Default Re: Is Rick Adelman transforming this years T-wolves into the Kings of the early 2000s?

Quote Originally Posted by Yung D-Will
    Excellent post
    thanks.

I should clarify CWebb was a great rebounder himself, not like he was some chump rebounder. And Christie was an elite defender, so I'll safely assume his D is better than Brewer's, though again, I haven't seen a lot of Brewer (saw him once in person...destroyed the Kings w/ fast break dunks all night), but his name is rarely brought up in elite perimeter defender convos. But given Adelman's O system, not sure defense even matters...

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

Default Re: Is Rick Adelman transforming this years T-wolves into the Kings of the early 2000s?

hm?

Divac > Pek (for Adelman's system) - I feel the passing ability from Divac (and Webber) was crucial for the system to run well.

Webber > Love - I think Webber has gotten underrated since he retired for some reason. Weird because his flashy type of game and the recent Fab 5 hype would make me think the opposite would happen. Love's ability to shoot does give him a favorable upside, tho.

Christie > Brewer (maybe...) - I actually haven't watched Brewer play for the Wolves this year. If he's the same as he was with Denver then this isn't even close. Crazy chucker, known for his defense who apparently didn't want to play defense.

Peja > Martin

Rubio = Bibby - I actually think Bibby is a better point guard for Adelman. Good passer, but can be effective off the ball for more effective ball movement. Leader, big shot maker... Bibby and Terry Porter were Adelman's two main PGs on his great teams and they are pretty similar. Neither play like Rubio. Rubio can be very good in this system, tho, and I just like Rubio so I give it an equal. He needs a jumper soon.

Bobby Jax > Barea - C'mon...

The Warriors offense would be amazing with Adelman. That seems more like his personnel.

I usually hit open layups SoCalLakersFan1's Avatar

The Wolves have been flexing their new shooting arms, but remember that its their front line that can dominate teams. Chandler and Bargnani were pretty much forced out of the game because of Pek + Love.

Kevin Love through 3 games: 29.7 PPG, 14.7 RPG, 3.7 APG, .500 FG, .381 3P%, .795 FT%, 13 FTA per game.

Good college starter Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyMcAdocious
    Bobby Jax > Barea - C'mon...
    in regards to skill, for sure. I called them a wash simply b/c they fill the same role. But yes, overall, BJax was probably better, though Barea is no pushover for the role.

Btw, true story, after BJax left and played for NO, I saw him at a club one night when NO was visiting. Like, my friend's gf's friend's sister, who was super fine, was dancing all over him, twerking on his crotch while he was just posted up on the wall. He wasn't haddin dat, completely just looking around looking bored as if she wasn't there. I always thought "man, what a badass dude to resist the temptation of hot groupies..." He probably hit it later, though. Damn, I'm horny now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak
    Shoot, I think they can hit 50 this season. ...if they stay healthy.

But funny coincidence, I was just talking to an online buddy of mine about this the other night, comparing this TWolves team to the early 00s Kings teams. Here's how I broke it down.

- Pek : Divac - Pek is more physical and technical. Divac is the better passer, which fits Adelman's O better. But Adelman's system needs a rebounder/middle clogger on D. While different styles, I like Pek better, even though Divac is the better fit for Adelman

- KLove : CWebb - KLove is basically a less athletic CWebb w/ less passing ability, but way better rebounding and range. It's almost a wash here in regards to Adelman's system. CWebb can pass, KLove can shoot. Both are needed for Adelman's O.

- Brewer : Christie - yeah Brewer is SF and Christie was SG, but I'll address that in a bit. Both players basically fit the role of defender/athletic slasher type. Though I think Christie was the better defender (not based on my opinion, based on the lack of games I've seen Brewer play - maybe a handful).

- KMart : Peja - here's the key, the shooting wing (SF or SG, doesn't matter). Peja was a better pure shooter, but KLove can fill that spot. Having the 2nd shooter in KMart is just icing on the cake. He can just chill in the corner and shoot like Peja did adding a supplemental shooting threat. While Bibby was a good shooter, he was handling the ball. And Hedo came off the bench, spelling Peja usually. Here, the TWolves have 2 off-ball shooters on the floor at the same time.

- Rubio : JDubb/Bibby - Rubio is a better JDubb. Bibby was probably more fundamentally sound, but Rubio is young and can develop. Rubio is basically the prototypical PG for Adelman's O

- Turiaf/Dieng/Cunningham/Williams : Keon Clark/Funderburke/Pollard - pretty similar bench bigs - got a defender, rebounder, poster, banger, etc. Advantage to TWolves for Derrick Williams range and athleticism.

- Budinger/Shabazz : Hedo/Gerald Wallace - Budinger fits the Hedo role of bench shooter, though is probably more athletic. Shabazz and Wallace are washes as Wallace was way underdeveloped and Shabazz is also unproven so far.

- JJ Barea : Bobby Jackson - the little spark plug off the bench. Wash.

The teams aren't carbon copies, obviously, though there are lots of similarities. So, while the Adelman Kings teams had better passing bigs, I think the TWolves team is better suited w/ the extra range, athleticism, and interior presence it has. Rubio makes up for the lack of passing bigs.

The one disadvantage the TWolves have is that they play in a much more stacked West than the Kings played in. I don't like the "era debate" in regards to individual play/skill/talent. But I definitely do acknowledge eras in regards to team accomplishments. And it was easier for the Kings.
    Well if u put it that way...

College superstar AintNoSunshine's Avatar

That's an interesting observation, but even if it's true it's a poor man's version, especially at the pg's position, Bibby's great P&R shooting ability was key to that King's team.

And minus the superstar he had in Chris Webber too, don't forget the NBA is a superstar's league

82-0

#Dre Day in Sac Town andremiller07's Avatar

The Kings were that good even without Webber a superstar they were still an elite team with Miller and Divac running shit while Peja was a top 10 MVP candidate. I can't see the Wolves doing that if Love goes down.

But funny coincidence, I was just talking to an online buddy of mine about this the other night, comparing this TWolves team to the early 00s Kings teams. Here's how I broke it down.

- Pek : Divac - Pek is more physical and technical. Divac is the better passer, which fits Adelman's O better. But Adelman's system needs a rebounder/middle clogger on D. While different styles, I like Pek better, even though Divac is the better fit for Adelman

- KLove : CWebb - KLove is basically a less athletic CWebb w/ less passing ability, but way better rebounding and range. It's almost a wash here in regards to Adelman's system. CWebb can pass, KLove can shoot. Both are needed for Adelman's O.

- Brewer : Christie - yeah Brewer is SF and Christie was SG, but I'll address that in a bit. Both players basically fit the role of defender/athletic slasher type. Though I think Christie was the better defender (not based on my opinion, based on the lack of games I've seen Brewer play - maybe a handful).

- KMart : Peja - here's the key, the shooting wing (SF or SG, doesn't matter). Peja was a better pure shooter, but KLove can fill that spot. Having the 2nd shooter in KMart is just icing on the cake. He can just chill in the corner and shoot like Peja did adding a supplemental shooting threat. While Bibby was a good shooter, he was handling the ball. And Hedo came off the bench, spelling Peja usually. Here, the TWolves have 2 off-ball shooters on the floor at the same time.

- Rubio : JDubb/Bibby - Rubio is a better JDubb. Bibby was probably more fundamentally sound, but Rubio is young and can develop. Rubio is basically the prototypical PG for Adelman's O

- Turiaf/Dieng/Cunningham/Williams : Keon Clark/Funderburke/Pollard - pretty similar bench bigs - got a defender, rebounder, poster, banger, etc. Advantage to TWolves for Derrick Williams range and athleticism.

- Budinger/Shabazz : Hedo/Gerald Wallace - Budinger fits the Hedo role of bench shooter, though is probably more athletic. Shabazz and Wallace are washes as Wallace was way underdeveloped and Shabazz is also unproven so far.

The teams aren't carbon copies, obviously, though there are lots of similarities. So, while the Adelman Kings teams had better passing bigs, I think the TWolves team is better suited w/ the extra range, athleticism, and interior presence it has. Rubio makes up for the lack of passing bigs.

The one disadvantage the TWolves have is that they play in a much more stacked West than the Kings played in. I don't like the "era debate" in regards to individual play/skill/talent. But I definitely do acknowledge eras in regards to team accomplishments. And it was easier for the Kings.
    Word. Best post I've seen on ISH since last season.

Decent playground baller dgaras's Avatar

ill tell you what i think tomorrow.

Wolves fans have been paitently waiting... This is the season we shock and awe.

Adelman's been emphasizing passing ability in Love's game ever since he got there (because his system requires bigs that can pass) and you're really seeing an increase in Love's assist numbers this year. Almost had a triple double last night

Also I think that having a pure pass first point guard, brings a different dynamic, that Adelman hasnt traditionally had

It's too bad todays modern day Tim Donaughy would rig it for the Lakers regardless.