Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 262
  1. #31
    Decent playground baller L3B120N J4M35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    386

    Default Re: Basketball Diary

    Quote Originally Posted by Swaggin916
    Better Basketball has a ball handling video with like 150 different dribbling drills. You can buy it/download it/most of it may already be on youtube. I do 30 of them everyday and in 3 weeks it has vastly improved my ball handling. I can only imagine what it will be like after 6 months. It not only improves your handles, but also your passing because you hands are so much stronger and Rubio esk passes with one hand start becoming accurate. Like with anything, it takes a lot of reps, and a mindset that has really worked for me is to basically make the basketball an extension of myself or like my child. I would defend myself or my child from someone trying to take it with my life, and I try to apply the same attitude towards the basketball. It sounds kind of ridiculous, but making yourself one with the basketball is like a spiritual experience... like an artist with his paintbrush, or musician with his instrument. Also a main emphasis while dribbling is keeping the core strong. If people know they can body you up and throw you off, they will. If you remain strong however, when they body you up it feels like they are hitting a solid wall and they can't physically impose themselves. When you do the drills you should feel your core working hard.
    just seen this. thanks bro. i download them . look to start using it pretty soon. will update with results later on.


    going to the ymca in a couple hours. will update this when i get back..

    cheers

  2. #32
    High School Starter mugiwara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    802

    Default Re: Basketball Diary

    yo ai2death, what skipping and squat routines are ya undertaking? got knee issues myself and wanna put together a plan to squat thrust them the f outta here.

  3. #33
    National High School Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,093

    Default Re: Basketball Diary

    Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara
    yo ai2death, what skipping and squat routines are ya undertaking? got knee issues myself and wanna put together a plan to squat thrust them the f outta here.
    I'm doing about 10-20 Minutes of skipping a day, Doesn't really help the knees, but it's a great warm up and great cardio. I also through in some dribbling drills and weights before/after. As for the squats, I try to do 100 body weight squats a day in reps of 20. I lower myself slowly ass to grass, then explode up onto my tip toes, trying not to jump though, cause that feels like it stresses my knees more than what I'm trying to accomplish.

    I've also bought some heat packs and ice packs. About 30 minutes before any games I strap the heat packs to my knees, go to the game and unstrap them just before taking the court. Than after the game, I go home have a cool-cold shower then strap the ice packs to my knees. It doesn't seem like much, but it takes away almost all the pain I use to feel the next day.

    The hardest part of all this is staying committed to doing it, I know I can get away with out doing it, but I'll be in a lot of pain. The way I look at it is, It hurts more not to play. So I just try and stay motivated.

    I've let the squats slip as of late. And last night I could be bothered doing anything, so I just played AC4 lol. Still feel a bit guilty so I'll hit it for twice as long tonight.

    But I have thrown in some wall sits, coupled with lifting weights at the same time. Basically have your legs at right angles and your back against a wall, put a basketball between your knees to hold. Then with about 10-12kg in each hand lift the weights above you.

    I should also remember to through some planking into my daily workout.

  4. #34
    High School Starter mugiwara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    802

    Default Re: Basketball Diary

    Sweet dude, pretty much what I've been doing already. Im recovering from ACL injury and have gone away for a month to a small coastal town, bottom of Aus. Im here just getting fit doing beach runs, a similar squat and skip thing and working on my game at the rand new courts they have installed. Working hard to drop the surgery weight and regain my explosiveness and most importantly confidence. Last night i got my hands on a bike and there is a decent coastal trail here so I'm gonna smash that in the morning and jog in the evening.

    to the love of the game

  5. #35
    National High School Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,093

    Default Re: Basketball Diary

    Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara
    Sweet dude, pretty much what I've been doing already. Im recovering from ACL injury and have gone away for a month to a small coastal town, bottom of Aus. Im here just getting fit doing beach runs, a similar squat and skip thing and working on my game at the rand new courts they have installed. Working hard to drop the surgery weight and regain my explosiveness and most importantly confidence. Last night i got my hands on a bike and there is a decent coastal trail here so I'm gonna smash that in the morning and jog in the evening.

    to the love of the game
    May I ask where to in Aus?

  6. #36
    High School Starter mugiwara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    802

    Default Re: Basketball Diary

    Im from Adelaide, weak basketball here to be honest. In the city its mostly Asian dudes who wanna ball, they play the right way which is good but they call fouls too much and its often easy to dominate just by turning up the intensity. Obviously there are ballers about though, I've played with a bunch of great asian dudes too, found a group with a few dunkers. Most of the young dudes who play at clubs here end up switching to footy when they turn 18 for whatever reason which sucks, i swear all the white guys i ever play with are older ex ABA dudes who are strong, dirty players, knock down shooters and super friendly haha

  7. #37
    National High School Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,093

    Default Re: Basketball Diary

    Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara
    Im from Adelaide, weak basketball here to be honest. In the city its mostly Asian dudes who wanna ball, they play the right way which is good but they call fouls too much and its often easy to dominate just by turning up the intensity. Obviously there are ballers about though, I've played with a bunch of great asian dudes too, found a group with a few dunkers. Most of the young dudes who play at clubs here end up switching to footy when they turn 18 for whatever reason which sucks, i swear all the white guys i ever play with are older ex ABA dudes who are strong, dirty players, knock down shooters and super friendly haha
    lol small world, I'm from Adelaide too but it sounds like you're skill level is far beyond mine. I wouldn't necessarily say the basketball is weak here, just not as common as other places. Probably due to the love AFL.

  8. #38
    High School Starter mugiwara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    802

    Default Re: Basketball Diary

    Quote Originally Posted by Ai2death
    lol small world, I'm from Adelaide too but it sounds like you're skill level is far beyond mine. I wouldn't necessarily say the basketball is weak here, just not as common as other places. Probably due to the love AFL.

    Oh snap! haha nah man, I'm nothing special. Trying to get back into form while I'm down here, the locals play here Thursday nights so I'm gonna see if i can jump in a game. Ill hit you up when I'm back and we can ball, we probably already have played together before knowing adelaide.

  9. #39
    National High School Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,093

    Default Re: Basketball Diary

    Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara
    Oh snap! haha nah man, I'm nothing special. Trying to get back into form while I'm down here, the locals play here Thursday nights so I'm gonna see if i can jump in a game. Ill hit you up when I'm back and we can ball, we probably already have played together before knowing adelaide.
    Yeah, Everyone knows everyone lol. You from North or South?

    Back on topic.

    Kinda disappointed in myself this week, took Wednesday off ball cause just couldn't be bothered, than my misses getting me to do stuff the last few days so I didn't get my workouts in. Just feeling fat. Everyday trying to cut out sugar/energy drink & fast food, It's hard to do at work as a mechanic, peer pressure for beers and such too.

    Oh well heads up to the future. Going to Kuala Lumpur next week for a week, so it will be interesting to see what get's done there. Hopefully our hotel has a gym. Anyone been to KL?

    Waiting for a call back to see if there is some pick up on tonight at the local courts. If not, I run a session on Saturday, just make sure I come out aggressive and push the pace.

    Anyone here have any experiences of using pre-workout for basketball?

  10. #40
    Decent playground baller L3B120N J4M35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    386

    Default Re: Basketball Diary

    On Monday, i went to the ymca with my brother and cousins to play. Usually we play full court (on the side baskets), but this time we played half court 3v3's. I started to hit probably like 10 threes of 3 games. I was in the zone aha. It was an amazing feeling, but i cooled off after that. Then we played 4v4 full court when things cleared up and i did alright. hit another three tho

    yesterday, went to a different ymca and played full court and completely sucked. couldn't make a layup or three. Still won that game, but in the second game it was 11-11, up to 12 winning by 2. i got a screen and hit a long three pointer to win the game. (feelin' like Lillard) and did the same thing when we played half court 3v3. can't hit a shot until the game's on the line

    going back up there today. will update!!

    Cheers

  11. #41
    Saw a basketball once Adam2k9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    27

    Default Re: Basketball Diary

    Great thread,can we get an update?

  12. #42
    National High School Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,093

    Default Re: Basketball Diary

    OK I'm back ISH Fam

    Went Holidaying in Kuala Lumpur over the Christmas break, good to get away from work. Bought 2 pairs of Lebron XI's while there too, can't wait to break them in.

    How bout you guys, how was your Christmas?

    Now, on to the business.
    Only managed to play twice since last post, all the courts shut over the break, so it's hard to get a game unless you know some people.
    I ended up getting some games with my mate, whose dad runs a comp.
    All the older filo guys play. Only problem I have playing with older filo dudes is that they play dirty.

    First sesh, went ok, jumpshot was outta rhythm and my handles were a bit loose. Hit a few mid range J's but also bricked a couple, and an air ball. But as a whole, wasn't horrible. First time playing with this group, being the only white guy there, I didn't get any respect. So when I hit my first few shots it felt good. Didn't really enjoy playing with this group to much though.

    Second sesh was a week later, after the new years break. With the same group as before, but took my brother with me. He experienced the same disrespect I did the week earlier. He didn't really get many scoring opportunities as his more of a physical hustle player. Did bank a 3 in and score some post buckets though.
    Again, my J was just not right, did hit a couple though. But my handles felt worse than the previous week. Lost the ball quite easily a couple times. Our team lost every game, only by a few points. However in the final game, against the tallest team, we played our best. I believe we were robbed of a win by the refs.
    Felt like they were calling bs fouls against us. I don't know if it had anything to do with me and my bro being white, but it wouldn't be the first time I've had this experience with older filo guys. We also got called for a shot clock violation on our very last play, after the shot was released, and after they had not made that call all day... teams had quite often had over 30 seconds...

    Not sure if I plan on going back to that sesh seeing us the sesh I run on Saturdays is starting back up this week.
    Also, the team that I use to play on is starting again in the next few weeks, so can't wait to play with those guys again. Hopefully our chemistry and flow comes back rather quick after having 6 months off.

    That's all for now, probably update again later this week, going to a sesh on Wednesday night that my mate runs, his going to be training fundamentals so it will be good to learn seeing as I have mainly been self taught.
    Also starting my skipping routine again after the break off. Put on about 4-5kg's / approx 9 pounds, so hoping to get back into better shape than before.

    AI2D Out

  13. #43
    2nd Greatest Player Lebron23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Land of 6 NBA titles
    Posts
    58,953

    Default Re: Basketball Diary

    Just practicing my dribbling and handles yesterday. Watched some highlights of Iverson and Hardaway on youtube.

  14. #44
    National High School Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,093

    Default Re: Basketball Diary

    Played a few sessions this week, nothing to major though as its been mid 40 degrees all week... in other words, hot as feck.

    However, my social team that I play for has started back up after taking a 6 month hiatus.
    Played our first game on Tuesday (2 days ago.)
    We were against a very tall team but with no real ball handler.

    Our team is made up of 8 people.

    There's me, I'm the starting PG, the strongest ball handler on the team, really the only ball handler on the team, and the best passer. I am probably the leader on offense, but I don't really look at it like that.

    My bro, who Is much like a combo of a forward and guard. He is same height as me, 5'8, but he gyms a lot so his built. Strong inside, hustles on D and fast breaks, not a great ball handler but probably the second best.

    Then our C, about 6'4, not very skilled, but has a lot of heart and is more defensive minded. does get quite a few offensive rebounds though.

    Our SF is also tall, but skinnier, very soft though but with a lot of length helps in out. Him and my bro normally play top on D, leaving me to play baseline as I have a good understanding on where to be and I am great at boxing out much larger players.

    And our PF is not much taller than me, but he is wide and large. Good mid range shooter, good rebounder and also good passer, his like a glue guy personality. Smart and can bring a team together.

    Our bench consist of a back up guard, skinny guy, 5'7, fouls out a lot, but his high energy. Biggest weakness is his black hole defence though. Also not a great passer. His position is just to push the fast break.

    A forward, new guy, 6'0, hasn't played much but he learns quick, I've already got him making good cuts, just needs to practice finishing. Not a bad defender and good rebounder.

    And another forward, not great skill wise, but high energy and heart. Always gets back on D. He knows his role though, doesn't play out side his skills.

    Anyway, we came out a bit rusty, we were down at the end of the first half, 5-15. I missed my first couple shots, we were struggling to contain their size, granted most of their points came of lucky 3's.
    In the second half we came out strong and fought back. I got to the ft line, bricked both shots but I did get my own rebound on the second and floated it in. Ended the game with 6.
    We ended up winning by 2, I passed to our PF after drawing the D for a wide open J, he hit it, 20 seconds left, there best player drove and our C blocked him. Then we just ran down the clock.
    Good win on the first game back.

    One thing I did notice and remember, is when I have the ball, everyone tends to stand there and wait for me to make something happen, I'm good at drawing the D and getting a pass off. It get's frustrating, especially when I get trapped or pick it up. I'll look to improve on my skills as we progress.

    That's it for now, Laters

  15. #45
    Gentleman Desperado East_Stone_Ya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East_Side_Of_The_Rawkus
    Posts
    5,117

    Default Re: Basketball Diary

    Quote Originally Posted by Ai2death
    Played a few sessions this week, nothing to major though as its been mid 40 degrees all week... in other words, hot as feck.

    However, my social team that I play for has started back up after taking a 6 month hiatus.
    Played our first game on Tuesday (2 days ago.)
    We were against a very tall team but with no real ball handler.

    Our team is made up of 8 people.

    There's me, I'm the starting PG, the strongest ball handler on the team, really the only ball handler on the team, and the best passer. I am probably the leader on offense, but I don't really look at it like that.

    My bro, who Is much like a combo of a forward and guard. He is same height as me, 5'8, but he gyms a lot so his built. Strong inside, hustles on D and fast breaks, not a great ball handler but probably the second best.

    Then our C, about 6'4, not very skilled, but has a lot of heart and is more defensive minded. does get quite a few offensive rebounds though.

    Our SF is also tall, but skinnier, very soft though but with a lot of length helps in out. Him and my bro normally play top on D, leaving me to play baseline as I have a good understanding on where to be and I am great at boxing out much larger players.

    And our PF is not much taller than me, but he is wide and large. Good mid range shooter, good rebounder and also good passer, his like a glue guy personality. Smart and can bring a team together.

    Our bench consist of a back up guard, skinny guy, 5'7, fouls out a lot, but his high energy. Biggest weakness is his black hole defence though. Also not a great passer. His position is just to push the fast break.

    A forward, new guy, 6'0, hasn't played much but he learns quick, I've already got him making good cuts, just needs to practice finishing. Not a bad defender and good rebounder.

    And another forward, not great skill wise, but high energy and heart. Always gets back on D. He knows his role though, doesn't play out side his skills.

    Anyway, we came out a bit rusty, we were down at the end of the first half, 5-15. I missed my first couple shots, we were struggling to contain their size, granted most of their points came of lucky 3's.
    In the second half we came out strong and fought back. I got to the ft line, bricked both shots but I did get my own rebound on the second and floated it in. Ended the game with 6.
    We ended up winning by 2, I passed to our PF after drawing the D for a wide open J, he hit it, 20 seconds left, there best player drove and our C blocked him. Then we just ran down the clock.
    Good win on the first game back.

    One thing I did notice and remember, is when I have the ball, everyone tends to stand there and wait for me to make something happen, I'm good at drawing the D and getting a pass off. It get's frustrating, especially when I get trapped or pick it up. I'll look to improve on my skills as we progress.

    That's it for now, Laters
    thnx for sharing

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •