Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Minnesota misses a LOT of shots

Quote Originally Posted by Inactive
    If they missed literally 5 fewer FGA this season, they'd be average. They're averaging 89 FGA per game, league average is 83.

And stats notwithstanding, its simply clear from watching him play, and tonight is not the first night Ive noticed it, that his impact on the game does not nearly equate to what is presumed by everyone who reads the box score the next day.

I guess I cant explain specifically HOW it happens. But in my opinion it's pretty clear that it DOES.

Decent playground baller redboy's Avatar

the dude averages 11 defensive rebounds a game.

does the opposition miss shots on purpose too?

Local High School Star Inactive's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolball#52
    And stats notwithstanding, its simply clear from watching him play, and tonight is not the first night Ive noticed it, that his impact on the game does not nearly equate to what is presumed by everyone who reads the box score the next day.

I guess I cant explain specifically HOW it happens.
    But in my opinion it's pretty clear that it DOES.
    This is the bottom line.

His efficiency is solid, he scores in the mid 20s, and he's one of the best rebounders in the league. If you adjust for pace, his stats are still incredible. He's done it for several years, with very different supporting casts, and different coaching. There simply isn't any argument you can make that would justify dismissing his stats. All you can say is "When I watch him play I don't feel like he's having a big impact.".

Banned

This is the bottom line.

My friend, there are many things in life which we can observe but cannot explain. Science is FILLED with them.

As far as Love's stats... Going by the statistics, he would seem to be one of the best players ever. He is averaging 27/14/5. And we are getting to a point where sample size becomes pretty legit for overall projections.

So we have apparently the Wilt of the modern era here.

Do you see an impact that correlates with the company his stats place him in - or even exceeds??

Mozart Basketball no pun intended's Avatar

OP agrees that if you trade all Minnesota starters for Rumar Gayrozan.

PG- scrub
    SG-Derozan
    SF- Gay
    PF- Love
    C- scrub

Love would average 50 RPG. I'll take it.

My friend, there are many things in life which we can observe but cannot explain. Science is FILLED with them.
    In science, you focus on what you can measure objectively, and keep your feelings to yourself. You may feel like a heavier object will fall faster, but that doesn't make it so. You may feel like your hat is lucky, but that isn't enough to change the odds.

As far as Love's stats... Going by the statistics, he would seem to be one of the best players ever. He is averaging 27/14/5. And we are getting to a point where sample size becomes pretty legit for overall projections.

So we have apparently the Wilt of the modern era here.
    That seems like a bit of an exaggeration. Moses Malone put up very similar numbers, year after year. Wilt is on a completely different level. I think Kevin Love is legitimately a great rebounder. I don't think he would be likely to score 27 ppg on a good team, but he's shown that he's capable of doing it. I see him as a 20-23/13 player on a good team, which is extremely good, but not all-time great.

Do you see an impact that correlates with the company his stats place him in - or even exceeds??
    He's not a rim protector, or a ball dominant shot creator. If he was capable of playing one of those roles, his team might've had a better record over the years. He would have had much more control over the way each possession played out, on one end, or the other.

The intangibles that he does provide haven't necesarilly won a lot of games, but they could be extremely useful in the right situation. He stretches the floor, but he's also capable of going inside. He can be effective rolling to the basket, or popping out behind the 3 point line. He's a great outlet passer, and a good decision maker. With the right players next to him, he could be a critical piece of an unstoppable offense.
    Last edited by Inactive; 11-12-2013 at 04:31 AM.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

He's a great rebounder, he has a knack for where the ball will go. He's fundamentally sound. Boxes out, positions well. But at the same time he plays absolutely no defense. He doesn't try. His concept of defense is to foul. So since he puts no effort on defense what does he do..he's already preparing for the rebound. He's a stat padder. But he's good.

Banned

In science, you focus on what you can measure objectively, and keep your feelings to yourself. You may feel like a heavier object will fall faster, but that doesn't make it so. You may feel like your hat is lucky, but that isn't enough to change the odds.

That seems like a bit of an exaggeration. Moses Malone put up very similar numbers, year after year. Wilt is on a completely different level. I think Kevin Love is legitimately a great rebounder. I don't think he would be likely to score 27 ppg on a good team, but he's shown that he's capable of doing it. I see him as a 20-23/13 player on a good team, which is extremely good, but not all-time great.

He's not a rim protector, or a ball dominant shot creator. If he was capable of playing one of those roles, his team might've had a better record over the years. He would have had much more control over the way each possession played out, on one end, or the other.

The intangibles that he does provide haven't necesarilly won a lot of games, but they could be extremely useful in the right situation. He stretches the floor, but he's also capable of going inside. He can be effective rolling to the basket, or popping out behind the 3 point line. He's a great outlet passer, and a good decision maker. With the right players next to him, he could be a critical piece of an unstoppable offense.

Certainly I'm not arguing he's a player without value.

But the past couple years, many people have been propping him up excessively due solely to his stats. Every time I catch the Wolves (a few times each year) I see the exact same thing. A guy who does not appear to dominate in any way, yet by the end of the game has accumulated a 'dominant' statline.

I just think hes being overrated in many quarters.

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

the reason love gets sooo many rebounds is because his team, other than pek, is full of bad rebounders.

i could be wrong, but i believe theyre one of the worst rebounding teams in the league.

My god, it's so hard for people to accept the fact that Love is just an amazing rebounder.

3-time NBA All-Star

But the past couple years, many people have been propping him up excessively due solely to his stats. Every time I catch the Wolves (a few times each year) I see the exact same thing. A guy who does not appear to dominate in any way, yet by the end of the game has accumulated a 'dominant' statline.

Well, he definitely doesn't get the hype that you would normally think someone thats putting up 27/14 would get.

And you have to remember, he's probably the best PF in the league right now, which has probably became a relatively weak position over the last few years with the declines of Duncan, KG, and Dirk.

You probably feel that way because he's not an impactful defender compared to most great bigs

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

What about Pekovic? He had a 25 11 game. Was he dominating?
    Or what about Griffen? He had a 25 11 game. Was he dominating? After all his team won too right?

Quote Originally Posted by Levity
    the reason love gets sooo many rebounds is because his team, other than pek, is full of bad rebounders.

i could be wrong, but i believe theyre one of the worst rebounding teams in the league.
    In 2010 they were 8th in rebounding. Love got 11 rpg, in 29 mpg, with 21.5 TRB%.

In 2011 they were 1st in rebounding. Love got 15.2 rpg, in 36 mpg, with 23.6 TRB%.

In 2012 they were 5th in rebounding. Love got 13.3 rpg, in 39 mpg, with 19 TRB%.

In 2013 they were 15th in rebounding, probably because Love only played 18 games. Love got 14 rpg, in 34 mpg, with 23.3 TRB%. In the games that Love played, they averaged 47.2 rpg. The Pacers led the league in rpg, with 45.9.
    Last edited by Inactive; 11-12-2013 at 03:36 PM.

5-time NBA All-Star

The guy is really active and goes hard for boards. He's for real.