Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Default Re: Why do Liberals despise the word....

Quote Originally Posted by B-Low
    Myth, bagelred, Mavs, quick! Get out of this thread so we can bomb it while we have all of these guys in one place at the same time

Quote Originally Posted by B-Low
    Myth, bagelred, Mavs, quick! Get out of this thread so we can bomb it while we have all of these guys in one place at the same time
    Yes, keep seeking solace in the false refuge of consensus opinion. Those guys would struggle to piece together a dissentient viewpoint between them (though i am being unfair to Mavs here as he has reasons for his opinions which he presents in arguments, which the other two are completely lacking).

I wouldn't be surprised if Myth and bagelred formed the majority of their political opinions from watching the Bill Maher and John Stewart shows (they've probably even been audience members ). Typical of these people they both think themselves extremely intelligence, which allows them to win arguments in their own minds simply by calling their opponents stupid for not bowing to conventional wisdom and then moving on.

You betray yourself as a seeker of consensus and conformity by lumping the guys you agree with together as if they form some kind of team, and then lumping those you disagree with together as if we form some kind of group or ideology, even though if we weren't being constantly confronted with consensus-driven dribble-drabble we would find a lot to disagree about. Because, guess what, we are individuals and not a bunch of sheep who need to seek security in the opinions of others.

I mean, look at bagelred's earlier post, which he presented with a gravity that suggests he thinks it a trove of wisdom:

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred
    Because liberals understand most things are life are not black and white, but grey. Most things aren't "evil" or "good", it's about perspective. "Lesser evil" would mean there isn't an absolute, but comparing actions. Using our intelligence to understand things, and understand there are different perspectives on situations. What might seem "good" to one person/nation (Like, America is a force for good), might seem "evil" to someone else. (America is a ruthless aggressor and is evil).

This doesn't register in conservative mind. Everything is black and white.

Has anyone ever read anything so banal, so full of cliches and trivialities? It reads like something a high-school student might write after his first ever philosophical lesson in ethics. Worst of all: he ends his platitude-ridden diatribe against black and white distinctions by making an incredibly fatuous one of his own. Feel bad for Mavs for being grouped with this imbecile .

exercise profits littl MadeFromDust's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    Because faith is believing something is true without evidence, while hope is merely the desire that something will become true while recognizing that it might not. One is an assertion while the other is wishful. Any other problems with the English language I can help you with?
    Wrong. Hope is the earnest expectation of good things yet to come...knowing that there is 0% chance of disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Dresta

Has anyone ever read anything so banal, so full of cliches and trivialities? It reads like something a high-school student might write after his first ever philosophical lesson in ethics. Worst of all: he ends his platitude-ridden diatribe against black and white distinctions by making an incredibly fatuous one of his own. Feel bad for Mavs for being grouped with this imbecile .
    You're trying WAY too hard with the vocabulary. Easy.

Everything I wrote was true. Conservatives see things in black and white. Liberals see things in shades of grey. That's why we see the world differently. Google is your friend. Read up on this.

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

Everything I wrote was true. Conservatives see things in black and white. Liberals see things in shades of grey. That's why we see the world differently. Google is your friend. Read up on this.
    Isn't that a black and white statement in itself? That either means you are a conservative or you are wrong.

I'm not trying at all. I write sentences as i think them and those are everyday words. If they are not part of your vocabulary that is likely because you are a borderline illiterate who doesn't read and gets all his opinions off the tv.

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    Isn't that a black and white statement in itself? That either means you are a conservative or you are wrong.

Don't expect a dogmatist to see flaws in his own logic. I pointed that out and he just repeated the same thing as if that made it an incontrovertible truth.

Faith and Hope have two different meanings......just saying

I'm not trying at all. I write sentences as i think them and those are everyday words. If they are not part of your vocabulary that is likely because you are a borderline illiterate who doesn't read and gets all his opinions off the tv.
    ok....that was a productive rant.

Anywhooooooo, clearly when I say Conservatives see things in black/white and Liberals in grey, it's obviously a generalization. But there's a lot of truth to it. There are studies on why conservatives and liberals think differently, looking at brain chemistry, yada, yada....And one of things they always focus on is how Conservatives see things more in absolutes. "Abortion is always wrong." "Gay Marriage is wrong for everyone." "These foreigners are Evil."....whereas Liberals are more comfortable with ambiguity.

That's why when I saw somebody write, "There's no disputing this guy is Pure Evil.", it just made me laugh, because that's EXACTLY what a conservative would say....

You mad, Dresta? Please use some more SAT vocabulary words for us. I'm learning alot.

Or just answer with a rofl smiley. Either way.

Local High School Star

Words have meanings. Faith and hope are different things. Too bad idiots like yourself can't seem to grasp such simple concepts.

Local High School Star TheReturn's Avatar

Maintaining a positive attitude and working towards a better future is not the same as believing some dude in the sky will solve your problems.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolball#52
    Ohhhh there are TONS of "campus culture" liberals who love to decry the word faith as nothing more than a synonym for gullible. At least as it pertains to religious people.

Wait, I take that back. As it pertains to Christians. They dont dare mock Jews, Muslims, Hindus.

Only Christians.
    Exhibit A: another victim nailing himself to a cross

The above is typical of your mouth breathing, bible-beating variety, Faux News talking pointer, least-common-denominator, type of conservative.

Not that it really matters to idiots like yourself, but I don't think any less of Jews or Muslims than I do Christians. You all worship the same deity. When followers of Shiva or Ganesh pile up the same history as your kind, then they'll garner their fair portion of deserved criticism.

Yo starface, I don't really disagree with the premise of your thread but all the stuff u comment on begs a question...

Are u currently in therapy? Like what face to face outlets do u have to address all the recurring thoughts/ issues u have?

I feel like all the years I've posted here, you have remained stagnant and dormant in your perception of the world with little growth or peace of mind
    Last edited by ROCSteady; 11-13-2013 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by greymatter
    Words have meanings. Faith and hope are different things. Too bad idiots like yourself can't seem to grasp such simple concepts.

Words of wisdom right ere. Words have meanings - thanks for pointing that one out man.

Of course they mean something slightly different, because they are different words, and i'm not sure if there are two words in the english language with exactly the same meaning.

But they are similar concepts, which is why the comparison is fair. Many people's faith is really more of a hope; they hope what they believe is true, because they don't like the conclusions they're forced to draw if it isn't. Likewise, many of those holding up change signs at Obama rallies had faith in him rather than hope.

Quote Originally Posted by TheReturn
    Maintaining a positive attitude and working towards a better future is not the same as believing some dude in the sky will solve your problems.
    Whereas believing some black dude with a nice voice that speaks like a preacher and chants 'yes we can' while proclaiming a 'new dawn' has come and espousing a 'timeless creed' and declaring that 'change has come' - believing that this guy is gonna solve all your problems and putting your faith in him (and for many, it was clearly faith) - that isn't a worthy comparison.

ok....that was a productive rant.

Anywhooooooo, clearly when I say Conservatives see things in black/white and Liberals in grey, it's obviously a generalization. But there's a lot of truth to it. There are studies on why conservatives and liberals think differently, looking at brain chemistry, yada, yada....And one of things they always focus on is how Conservatives see things more in absolutes. "Abortion is always wrong." "Gay Marriage is wrong for everyone." "These foreigners are Evil."....whereas Liberals are more comfortable with ambiguity.

That's why when I saw somebody write, "There's no disputing this guy is Pure Evil.", it just made me laugh, because that's EXACTLY what a conservative would say....

You mad, Dresta? Please use some more SAT vocabulary words for us. I'm learning alot.

Or just answer with a rofl smiley. Either way.
    Look, you are clearly a cretinous individual if you think using such words is something to be mocked. There is nothing special or 'SAT' about them, they simply aren't part of your vocabulary because you are unintelligent, and thus you - like all stupid people - resort to mocking what you do not understand, or what is beyond the grasp of your intellect.

And i didn't say 'pure evil' - i said 'evil'. And what is wrong with calling such human abominations evil? Moral standards have to exist if you want civilisation to continue to exist. If you replaced 'abortion is always wrong' with 'killing a child to make your life a bit easier is always wrong' (which is how many see abortion) - would you not agree? Or is that another 'shade of grey. You don't have to be a conservative at all to think that abortion is wrong, especially when it is done for no reason other than excusing personal bother.

And no one (or at least hardly anyone) says: 'all foreigners are evil' - but there are certainly some that are, and they just happened to hold dominion over certain parts of the Middle East. You'll be defending Pol-Pot, Stalin, Hitler, Beria, Idi Amin and Josef Mengele as 'shades of grey' next.

rank sentamentalist

the difference is right there in the examples you give (or imply)

faith is resilient right up to the point that it isn't. it will endure until something comes along so personally cataclysmic as to rock its very foundation... and once that happens, its gone. hope doesn't have that kind of resolution, its just a sense of optimism that dwindles and fades over time if it fails to reveal itself in a reasonable amount of time. hence the difference in examples between belief in a religion/ideology and belief in a politician.

though like buddy said above, people confuse the two to the point that they're basically used interchangeably. that's the difference imo tho.

the better question is why the op is so obsessed with flaming fictional cardboard stereotypes that he thinks encompass like half the world but mostly only exist in his imagination

Local High School Star

But they are similar concepts, which is why the comparison is fair. Many people's faith is really more of a hope; they hope what they believe is true, because they don't like the conclusions they're forced to draw if it isn't. Likewise, many of those holding up change signs at Obama rallies had faith in him rather than hope.
    The fact that they tend to be discussed together doesn't equate to similarity. Having "faith" that Santa is real isn't the same as "hoping" that he's real. They are very distinctly different. What you described isn't "faith"; it's conflation.