Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: So, who here doesn't believe in evolution?

I do not "believe" in evolution, just as I do not believe that the Earth is a sphere. I accept both as facts because they are supported by overwhelming evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
    Selective breeding and natural selection (evolution) are two very different things...the only thing similar about the two is that genes have changed from one state to another.
    Natural selection is not evolution. Natural selection is the mechanism. Evolution simply means change. You really should educate yourself before getting involved in discussions like this. You don't even know what the word evolution means.

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    If I am going to argue theology and my understanding of say Christianity is completely wrong do you think a Christian would say "OK that is your belief,"
    I'm a Christian and that is exactly what I would say

The Bible is open to interpretation, as are scientific findings. Everyone sees them differently, making no "right" or "wrong" opinions.

edit: changed "scientific theories" to "scientific findings". Makes more sense
    Last edited by kNicKz; 11-12-2013 at 11:24 PM.

Banned

If this topic is moving more into religion, my girlfriend was trying to tell me the other day that the majority of christians and catholics no longer believe in heaven and hell and don't take it literally. I was raised half heartedly catholic but was never really into it and my family didn't really do anything besides baptisms and what not but I thought even if most people don't believe in all of the bible that heaven and hell and that your soul goes somewhere would still be a pretty important part of calling yourself a christian or a catholic wouldn't it? Anyone know more about this?

Local High School Star Inactive's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by outbreak
    If this topic is moving more into religion, my girlfriend was trying to tell me the other day that the majority of christians and catholics no longer believe in heaven and hell and don't take it literally. I was raised half heartedly catholic but was never really into it and my family didn't really do anything besides baptisms and what not but I thought even if most people don't believe in all of the bible that heaven and hell and that your soul goes somewhere would still be a pretty important part of calling yourself a christian or a catholic wouldn't it? Anyone know more about this?
    Catholic or Christian? Catholics are Christian, as are Orthodox Christians, and the numerous protestant denominations.

Anyway, your girlfriend is wrong. http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57347634/
    Last edited by Inactive; 11-12-2013 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Inactive

The AP-GfK Poll was conducted Dec. 8-12 and is based on interviews with 1,000 adults nationally.
    Very strong, conclusive poll.

Banned

Catholic or Christian? Catholics are Christian, as are Orthodox Christians, and the numerous protestant denominations.

good to know, I was always confused myself as to the differences and I'd had people tell me they aren't Christian their catholic. I never paid much attention to it growing up, over here I haven't ever met someone who is seriously religious like you seem to get in some parts of America.

good to know, I was always confused myself as to the differences and I'd had people tell me they aren't Christian their catholic. I never paid much attention to it growing up, over here I haven't ever met someone who is seriously religious like you seem to get in some parts of America.
    Dude, catholic and christian is pretty different.

Christian is strictly old and new testament.

Catholic ties in with the pope, and vatican city.

A catholic is still a christian, while a christian may not be a catholic, for example, he may be a protestant.

Pretty different in a sense, but I can't see how it can be confusing tbh

Edit: Just like a square is a rectangle, but a rectangle isn't a square. Makes sense right?
    Last edited by CelticBaller; 11-13-2013 at 12:21 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dictator
    Dude, catholic and christian is pretty different.

Christian is strictly old and new testament.

Catholic ties in with the pope, and vatican city.
    i thought they were different too, I never remembered what my family was though as they weren't practising or anything, we were italian though and had the pope

Quote Originally Posted by kNicKz
    Very strong, conclusive poll.
    I assume you're being sarcastic, but you didn't really provide any reason why it isn't. If their sample reflects the diversity of the nation, then they don't need a great number of participants. It's also consistent with other polls.

I've looked at it myself, and it does seem that their sample was skewed a bit towards rural participants. 65% of their participants were from urban areas, 34% rural. Around 80% of the overall population is urban. For the most part their sample seems to reflect national averages though.

over here I haven't ever met someone who is seriously religious like you seem to get in some parts of America.
    What country are you from?
    Last edited by Inactive; 11-13-2013 at 12:27 AM.

Banned

What country are you from?
    Australia, I'm sure we do have people who take it seriously, I've just never met any myself. A friend told me awhile back about how his mate went out with a girl who had bible groups and all that, she wouldn't do it before marriage but was happy doing everything else which seemed a bit odd to us. I mean we have a bunch of churches all over the place and people go there but I don't seem to know any hardcore people who go every sunday and follow everything properly. The only time I go to a church now is for weddings and funerals.

Australia, I'm sure we do have people who take it seriously, I've just never met any myself. A friend told me awhile back about how his mate went out with a girl who had bible groups and all that, she wouldn't do it before marriage but was happy doing everything else which seemed a bit odd to us. I mean we have a bunch of churches all over the place and people go there but I don't seem to know any hardcore people who go every sunday and follow everything properly. The only time I go to a church now is for weddings and funerals.
    Yeah, you guys aren't very religious compared to the states. Still, 71% of Australian Christians believe in life after death, 57% believe in hell, 59% believe in the devil. It seems 13-17% of self reported Christians in your country don't really believe in anything supernatural.

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kNicKz
    I'm a Christian and that is exactly what I would say

The Bible is open to interpretation, as are scientific findings. Everyone sees them differently, making no "right" or "wrong" opinions.

edit: changed "scientific theories" to "scientific findings". Makes more sense
    And if I said "Christianity says it is acceptable to murder people in their sleep" you would just let me continue believing that? My interpretation is acceptable because you are cool with any wild interpretation? Maybe. But what if I said "Christianity says it is acceptable to murder people in their sleep therefore we should ban it" are you still not going to defend your belief, or because any misinterpretation is cool any response to that misinterpretation is cool too? What if I said "Christianity says it is acceptable to murder people in their sleep therefore I am going to start murdering Christians in their sleep" is that response also still cool or would you correct me then? At what point do you say "hold on, I think you might have it wrong, that isn't what Christianity is about"?
    Last edited by miller-time; 11-13-2013 at 12:54 AM.

Evolution is not something you choose to believe or disbelieve. What, are we back in the 19th century or something?

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by red1
    Evolution is not something you choose to believe or disbelieve. What, are we back in the 19th century or something?
    Well you do choose to believe it. But you believe it based on evidence not faith. Belief is anything you accept as true (or as close to true as you can get). But how you arrive at your conclusion is entirely up to you. But from my observation faith is a pretty poor way to figure out what is true and what isn't hence all of the different religions and there lack of internal self regulation. If faith were a good method then it would seem at some point different people should converge on some truth, but instead the more people that believe on faith the more fractured their respective beliefs become.