Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Default Re: So, who here doesn't believe in evolution?

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    Well you do choose to believe it. But you believe it based on evidence not faith. Belief is anything you accept as true (or as close to true as you can get). But how you arrive at your conclusion is entirely up to you. But from my observation faith is a pretty poor way to figure out what is true and what isn't (hence all of the different religions and there lack of internal self regulation).
    One chooses not to believe in evolution the same way one would choose not to believe in gravity. In other words it's identical to choosing to be an imbecile. Does that make sense?

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by red1
    One chooses not to believe in evolution the same way one would choose not to believe in gravity. In other words it's identical to choosing to be an imbecile. Does that make sense?
    Well the effects of gravity are easily observable, evolution is a little bit more abstract and less self evident. It is easier to turn a blind eye and remain willfully ignorant and allow faith based reasoning to supersede the evidence for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dictator
    Dude, catholic and christian is pretty different.

Christian is strictly old and new testament.

Catholic ties in with the pope, and vatican city.
    Any denomination that believes in Jesus Christ and his teachings is by definition Christian. Everything else is just glorified semantics. Just like anyone that believes in the Islamic creed is a Muslim, doesn't matter if they call themselves Sunni or Shia.

Quote Originally Posted by FiveRings
    Natural selection is not evolution. Natural selection is the mechanism. Evolution simply means change.
    This is a key point in this discussion. People don't understand what they're calling a 'lie'.

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by red1
    nah...if you don't believe in evolution then you are just uneducated...if you don't believe in gravity then you're clinically insane

I post-up midgets magic chiongson's Avatar

catholics are christians.

the pope is christian.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by CelticBaller
    I think lowly of people who don't believe that evolution is real. I am sorry but it really irks me.

Once I was arguing with this kid, and his arguments was if evolution is real, and we came from monkeys, why are there monkeys still out there? Hey idiot, dogs came from wolves, and there still many species of wolves out there
    Wrong answer. The correct one is that "we don't come from monkeys; we share a common ancestry with them".

Quote Originally Posted by riseagainst
    a theory is a hypothesis; a law is a proven fact, at least in the universe that we know of. So a law is the closest thing to certainty.

Theory: theory of relativity
    Law: Law of thermodynamics, law of conservation of mass/energy.

and there is no theory of gravity. Gravity has been proven to exist.
    You just prove why people who says evolution is a certainty and the people who says creationism is the certainty are both idiots.

Everything you said defined and differentiate theory from law perfectly. What people that didnt actually read darwins theory of evolution. I am like "hello" that theory is more fulls of holes that the people shot in the hood.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandito
    You just prove why people who says evolution is a certainty and the people who says creationism is the certainty are both idiots.

Everything you said defined and differentiate theory from law perfectly. What people that didnt actually read darwins theory of evolution. I am like "hello" that theory is more fulls of holes that the people shot in the hood.
    Except the ones who say evolution is a certainty are not as big as idiots as the ones who say creationism is a certainty, am I right?

Evolution is a certainty, get over it.

Well the effects of gravity are easily observable, evolution is a little bit more abstract and less self evident. It is easier to turn a blind eye and remain willfully ignorant and allow faith based reasoning to supersede the evidence for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
    nah...if you don't believe in evolution then you are just uneducated...if you don't believe in gravity then you're clinically insane
    True enough. My post assumes that one has a basic high-school education. If someone has been taught evolution in school and still refuses to "believe" in it then truly that would make them an idiot.

And if I said "Christianity says it is acceptable to murder people in their sleep" you would just let me continue believing that? My interpretation is acceptable because you are cool with any wild interpretation? Maybe. But what if I said "Christianity says it is acceptable to murder people in their sleep therefore we should ban it" are you still not going to defend your belief, or because any misinterpretation is cool any response to that misinterpretation is cool too? What if I said "Christianity says it is acceptable to murder people in their sleep therefore I am going to start murdering Christians in their sleep" is that response also still cool or would you correct me then? At what point do you say "hold on, I think you might have it wrong, that isn't what Christianity is about"?
    At no point. People are entitled to whatever they want to believe. Nothing I say is going to change that . I don't feel the need to force my beliefs onto others. That doesn't do anything for me. Also, did you just compare believing in Evolution to Christians being allowed killing each other in their sleep? lol....I simply said that it's acceptable to not believe in evolution. You aren't open minded if you are shocked and offended when you encounter viewpoints that don't match your own

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

you do realize that every christian faith (outside of eastern orthodox and coptic) is an outgrowth of Catholicism? All western Christian traditions are rooted in Catholicism for 1000 years.

NBA rookie of the year

There are 2 main branches of Christianity

1. Catholicism
    2. Protestantism

Catholicism is the largest and most organized. It is centralized in the Vatican and lead by the Pope. At its peak the Pope was the most powerful political force in europe, with a real army. (also they could just excommunicate a king or lord the disagreed with, and the superstitious peasants at the time would have turned against their lord/king)

Protestants are basically everything that is not Catholic, including but not limited to Anglicans, Episcopalians, Methodists, Baptists, Evangelical, Lutherans, etc.

There were 2 great schisms in Christian history.

1. martin Luther (a catholic priest) saw that the catholic church was selling indulgences (basically get out of hell cards) to rich lords and basically allowing rich people to get away with sinning. He was pissed at this and that the catholic church was so rich while so many catholic peasants were dirt poor. He started the protestant reformation, believing that the church had been corrupted by money. He kept preaching about the evils of the church and refused the popes order to stop and retract his criticisms. The Pope excommunicated him and the Holy Roman Emperor condemned him as an outlaw.

2. King Henry the 8th married the sister of the emperor of spain. Henry wanted to annul the marriage. The Pope thought that the emperor of spain was more powerful and refused his request for an annulment. So Henry created the church of england, and is why England and America today is mostly protestant.
    Last edited by MavsSuperFan; 11-13-2013 at 03:56 PM.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by riseagainst
    a theory is a hypothesis; a law is a proven fact, at least in the universe that we know of. So a law is the closest thing to certainty.

Theory: theory of relativity
    Law: Law of thermodynamics, law of conservation of mass/energy.

and there is no theory of gravity. Gravity has been proven to exist.
    wrong.

A theory is a hypothesis with a lot of evidence behind it.

A scientific theory already has a very high standard of evidence requirement

A hypothesis has no testing behind it/supporting its accuracy.
    They are not the same thing

To everyone quoting me:

Yes catholics are christian but not all christians are catholics.