Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dwight is Not an Elite Rebounder

So I was going through the new NBA.com stats and while I was checking out the Rebounding feature I realized D12 is not a top rebounder in the league at all. Actually he is not even the top rebounder on his own team.
    I picked 3 measures that were most telling:

Constested Rebound Per Game:

Contested Rebound Percentage:

Uncontested Rebounds Per Game:

Filters: Players should at least average 8RPG and played more than 6 games.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Default Re: Dwight is Not an Elite Rebounder

I checked this 2 games ago he was near the top in most of those same categories. Way too early for those stats to mean anything.

Didn't watch him this year so far, but uncontested rebounds are also a sign of superior positioning.

This may go down as one of the worst thread premises ever

Gentleman Desperado East_Stone_Ya's Avatar

this is a troll thread right?

Quote Originally Posted by RoundMoundOfReb
    I checked this 2 games ago he was near the top in most of those same categories. Way too early for those stats to mean anything.
    It could be too soon but I'm going to keep track of his rebounding till a more substantial sample has gathered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Overdrive
    Didn't watch him this year so far, but uncontested rebounds are also a sign of superior positioning.
    When there are others contesting a rebound D12 has 30% chance to win it. Asik e.g wins 52% of those situations. When games get tight rebounds will be heavily contested unless the opposing team really sucks at that.

lol

Possessed by B-Ball Ancient Legend's Avatar

This.

Also many people don't even try to contest a rebound if Howard is in the vecinity, the same way players don't dare to drive into the lane with him waiting in the paint
    He alters the game defensively just by being there.

uncontested rebounds means a player is better at positioning, which should mean being better at rebounding, not less. i swear some ppl here don't think at all. if they're contesting for rebounds, it means the player has failed to box out.

Quote Originally Posted by dunksby
    When there are others contesting a rebound D12 has 30% chance to win it. Asik e.g wins 52% of those situations. When games get tight rebounds will be heavily contested unless the opposing team really sucks at that.
    It just means that 4,5 of his 14,875 rpg(30,3%) are against other players and 69,7% are not. Doesn't say anything about how many rebound duells he loses.

Dwight's rebounds per opportunity is not top either so far:

Rebounding Opportunities: The number of times player was within the vicinity (3.5 ft) of a rebound. Measures the number of rebounds a player recovers compared to the number of rebounding chances available as well as whether or not the rebound was contested by an opponent or deferred to a teammate.
    Last edited by dunksby; 11-14-2013 at 07:16 AM.

It just means that 4,5 of his 14,875 rpg(30,3%) are against other players and 69,7% are not. Doesn't say anything about how many rebound duells he loses.
    He gets 68% of all the available rebounds, 30% of his rebounds are contested while the rest are uncontested ones. You could interpret those rebounds he misses are mostly contested ones.

Quote Originally Posted by dunksby
    He gets 68% of all the available rebounds, 30% of his rebounds are contested while the rest are uncontested ones. You could interpret those rebounds he misses are mostly contested ones.
    Could, but it doesn't give an exact number. If he contests a shot and Asik gets the board, because he is as close that's no negative on Howard.

Could, but it doesn't give an exact number. If he contests a shot and Asik gets the board, because he is as close that's no negative on Howard.
    McHale has moved Asik to bench (been seeing less and less PT as well) so I guess we can judge that part better going forward.

Got to be careful with stats like this. The rockets like to make opponents shoot threes as well, so the 'rebounds per opportunity' could well be because the rockets force more three pointers, and hence more long rebounds that big me. Are unlikely to get but the guards will.