Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I rule the local playground

Default Re: What's more impressive? Kobe's 81 points or MJ's 63 points?

This forum is full of frustrated virgins. It's the only explanation.

ban op.

I am your soldier!

Quote Originally Posted by OhNoTimNoSho
    I'm no scientist, but i think the larger number is larger and therefore more impressive.
    You're clearly not a scientist because you think something being 'impressive' is a tangible thing to base a decision on, even though it's purely your thought.

Quote Originally Posted by OhNoTimNoSho
    I'm no scientist, but i think the larger number is larger and therefore more impressive.

It's like saying size doesn't matter, technique is what is about.

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

5 more shots to score 18 more points.

By ISH standards it's Kobe, you ask people who actually work within the league 81 points is the most impressive scoring performance since Wilts 100. While 60 point games are more common, Tom Chambers has a 60 pt game.

Only 2 people have scored 80 points in one game. Wilt & Kobe. And that fact that it was a perimeter player displaying that type of scoring dominance makes it just that more impressive.

Lets be honest though, Kobe Bryant will never get his due on message boards that are filled with a majority of posters who've maybe seen 4 years of his 17 year career, people who have followed his game know how dominant of a player he was. Same thing will happen in 5 years when a new influx of young basketball fans who are Wiggins & Parker will only know the 32 YO Lebron, and will mock Lebron fans for even "daring" to think that a 32YO with declining athleticism can even be compared to the likes of Wiggins.

However, then just like now, you'll hear the praises from all the former opposing coaches that faced Kobe, you'll hear C Webb & Tim Duncan talk about how a 34 YO Lebron is the best in the league, just as C Web & Shaq still do now with Kobe from time to time. You'll hear the praises for both men's accomplishments and validation from all time greats in harmony with all the haters trying to bring them down.

Just like today, you'll hear a Kobe hater bringing up his air balls against Utah as if its a bad thing. But for those who followed Kobes career it almost became one of my favorite moments, he had to fail befor her could suceed, and when an 18 YO Kobe is taking last second shots in the playoffs over Prime Shaq & All star Eddie Jones..that said alot. I honestly think that moment set tone for the rest of Kobes career, one filled with proving everybody wrong, defined by a player who wasn't afraid to fail. While Lebrons situation doesn't exactly mirror Kobes, it's the same as when his short comings mentioned.

So here we are discussing what's more impressive, a 63 point game that went to double overtime, or an 81 point game that ended in regulation..

We could ask what's more impressive Kobes 62 in 3 quarters or Jordan's 63 in double OT? And the answer on ISH would still heavily favor Jordan.
    Last edited by TheMarkMadsen; 11-14-2013 at 02:58 PM.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Ming's Foot
    So now Jordan mythologists want to recognize the differences in defensive efficiency.

You guys realize right that the Celtics defense is a below average Kobe playoff opponent by defensive rating right?
    Doesn't matter about defensive rating. Dennis Johnson,McHale,P is better then anyone on the freaking Raptors shitty team. Gtfo. Lol Kobe only has one 50 point game in his whole freaking career on the postseason where the pressure steps way up/intensity.

What's more impressive, Kobe's 62 in 3 quarters vs MJ's 63 in overtime?

shhhhhhh

Lets see

Kobe's 81 points in 42 minutes of play on 46 FGA (60% shooting) along with with 20 FTA (90%) for the win vs.

MJ's 63 points in 53 minutes of play on 41 FGA (53% shooting) along with 21 FTA (90%) for the loss

yeah I'm going with the 81

Quote Originally Posted by gts
    Lets see

Kobe's 81 points in 42 minutes of play on 46 FGA (60% shooting) along with with 20 FTA (90%) for the win vs.

MJ's 63 points in 53 minutes of play on 41 FGA (53% shooting) along with 21 FTA (90%) for the loss

yeah I'm going with the 81

But....if chicks say they can be satisfied with a smaller dick given the right circumstances and other intangibles then 63 can be better than 81 damint!!!!!

MJ had 63 points, 6 assists, 5 rebounds, and 3 steals in a double overtime PLAYOFF loss to basically a top five team all-time.

Kobe had 81 points, 2 assists, 6 rebounds and 2 steals in a come from behind regular season win against basically one of the worst teams of that season.

Context I'd give the clear advantage to MJ, even though it came in a loss. He was a sophomore, coming off a broken foot and did all this in a playoff game against Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, and Dennis Johnson. A team that has argument for GOAT.

Kobe busted up old Jalen Rose, who didn't play defense to begin with, and Morris Peterson, who didn't play defense to begin with.

From my perspective, a playoff performance given the pressure is always instantly a greater feat in comparison to any regular season game.

Hell, Karl Malone had a game in the regular season where he scored like 56 in 3 quarters. He was on pace for 70 plus points. David Robinson had a 71 point game against a similar shit like opponent to the 2006 Raptors.

It's not as big of a deal to me as playoff explosions and performances.

Granted, MJ needed 2 OTs, but hey ... Kobe's lone 50 point playoff game came on a team that didn't play defense, and he needed an OT to do it. One of his more impressive scoring games because it came in the playoffs and not on bum squads like:

2007 Bobcats (58)
    2007 Blazers (65)
    2007 Wolves (50)
    2007 Hornets (60)
    2007 Grizzlies (50)
    2009 Knicks (61)

Kobe's 62 in 3 quarters against the 2006 Mavericks is probably his most impressive scoring feat. Even though the guy was gifted an absurd amount of free throws in just 3 quarters of play that game. But hey, it was a season where the rules were more tightly officiated on the perimeter to boost scoring numbers.

I guess from a pure volume scoring perspective, the answer is Kobe. The answer from a context perspective is MJ. MJ was still a developing player. Kobe was at his absolute peak, on a selfish scoring binge. Mind you, the Lakers had control of the game as Kobe was reaching the 70 point mark. I remember the last like 10 points, mostly off free-throws as being redundant as the game was in control.

So my answer is 81, but the context of MJ's game is more impressive. Games in mid January should not be compared to anything in April, May, or June. It's almost a different game by that point.

OP can do the math, it should be easy for him to figure it out

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

Neither are prime numbers, therefore they both suck. Give me Allan Houston's 53 anyday.

81. no overtime. win.

It's ugly ass B.Walton

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    MJ had 63 points, 6 assists, 5 rebounds, and 3 steals in a double overtime PLAYOFF loss to basically a top five team all-time.

Kobe had 81 points, 2 assists, 6 rebounds and 2 steals in a come from behind regular season win against basically one of the worst teams of that season.

Context I'd give the clear advantage to MJ, even though it came in a loss. He was a sophomore, coming off a broken foot and did all this in a playoff game against Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, and Dennis Johnson. A team that has argument for GOAT.

Kobe busted up old Jalen Rose, who didn't play defense to begin with, and Morris Peterson, who didn't play defense to begin with.

From my perspective, a playoff performance given the pressure is always instantly a greater feat in comparison to any regular season game.

Hell, Karl Malone had a game in the regular season where he scored like 56 in 3 quarters. He was on pace for 70 plus points. David Robinson had a 71 point game against a similar shit like opponent to the 2006 Raptors.

It's not as big of a deal to me as playoff explosions and performances.

Granted, MJ needed 2 OTs, but hey ... Kobe's lone 50 point playoff game came on a team that didn't play defense, and he needed an OT to do it. One of his more impressive scoring games because it came in the playoffs and not on bum squads like:

2007 Bobcats (58)
    2007 Blazers (65)
    2007 Wolves (50)
    2007 Hornets (60)
    2007 Grizzlies (50)
    2009 Knicks (61)

Kobe's 62 in 3 quarters against the 2006 Mavericks is probably his most impressive scoring feat. Even though the guy was gifted an absurd amount of free throws in just 3 quarters of play that game. But hey, it was a season where the rules were more tightly officiated on the perimeter to boost scoring numbers.

I guess from a pure volume scoring perspective, the answer is Kobe. The answer from a context perspective is MJ. MJ was still a developing player. Kobe was at his absolute peak, on a selfish scoring binge. Mind you, the Lakers had control of the game as Kobe was reaching the 70 point mark. I remember the last like 10 points, mostly off free-throws as being redundant as the game was in control.

So my answer is 81, but the context of MJ's game is more impressive. Games in mid January should not be compared to anything in April, May, or June. It's almost a different game by that point.

No it's not MJ no matter which perspective you're looking at. Trying to tell me that Kobe was gifted FT's in a comparison with the inventor of superstar calls is absurd also. Plus, just analyze the god damn performance. MJ needed double overtime to score 18 less points on worse efficiency in a loss. At times, the Celtics defense was a god damn layup drill (reminiscent of another Finals defense he faced - the Suns) and they looked like they didn't even bother playing defense. Kobe was hitting tough shots, none of that walk into the lane, free 2 points s.hit

Seriously, though. It doesn't matter which team he did it against. Kobe's pretty much taking the same shots (fadeaways, pull-ups) no matter who's on him
    Last edited by Element; 11-14-2013 at 03:34 PM.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

The fact that Kobe managed to take that many shots in less time tells you how bad the defense was.

The fact that MJ only shot 41 shots in a double overtime game shows you how it was harder for MJ to even touch the ball, let alone face opposition.

Playoff basketball stops becoming a fast break-free flowing game and becomes tougher, slower, more defense oriented. Which is why MJ only managed to take 41 shots in double OT.

The reason MJ's 63 points is celebrated is because it's a PLAYOFF RECORD vs arguably the GOAT team, after coming from an injury during his 2nd season.

We should be asking why Kobe's is even being celebrated.

A. It wasn't the highest scoring game during a regular season (Wilt 100 points)
    B. It was during the regular season
    C. It was the Raptors

Since some want to complain.

No shit some of you aren't scientists, that's obvious based on they're lame conclusions. Like some of you Kobe f@gs love to say "CONTEXT".

Also, MJ wasn't chucking.

Kobe was in full chuck mode, MJ was playing within the team concept, playing on BOTH SIDES OF THE COURT. Going through tough screens, chasing players all over the court (remember this wasn't the ISO era, you didn't conserve energy on defense by standing there).