Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Default Re: What would KD have to do to get the "Top 10 All-Time" talks going?

Not get injured and a couple MVP awards.

I'm sure some people will say titles too but he doesn't have full control over that. Teams win titles and if there are better constructed teams than the one that he's on, what can he do?

Quote Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
    Not get injured and a couple MVP awards.

I'm sure some people will say titles too but he doesn't have full control over that. Teams win titles and if there are better constructed teams than the one that he's on, what can he do?
    Pull a LeBron, and totally stack the deck in the opposite direction to where it's virtually impossible not to win?

Quote Originally Posted by BigTicket
    I doubt he will be the youngest to 20000.

He's 7508 point short of the mark, and he has a maximum of 238 games left to get there. So if he plays every single game, he will need to average at least 31.6ppg (which he has never done for even a single season).
    Thanks for doing the math for me.

So he'll be the second youngest most likely.

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KyleKong
    It depends on their other stats. Someone wins a scoring title with like 1-2.5 APG, than yeah, you a selfish bastard.

Yeah because watching the games doesn't show anything.

I don't have to look at Durants apg to know he's not a selfish player

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

top flight impact on the way to multiple rings is the only real way to get in

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    Considering that's his strongest attribute, I consider it in KD's case to be important. Same goes for Kobe. He's known for scoring, admittedly that's usually his focus and he really only has 2 scoring titles. LeBron has 1, and he admits scoring isn't his primary focus. The rest of the guy's on the top ten list who weren't scoring centric, it doesn't matter to me as much.
    My real point is, why should we SPECIFICALLY care about scoring titles? Is it any more valuable than being the assist leader, steals leader or rebound leader or efficiency leader? I just don't see any logic in valuing this one particular skill over others.

There are different play styles. I don't see any reason to value the "scoring leader" style of play over other styles that don't lend themselves to winning these types of awards. We'll never see Chris Paul win a scoring title. I'm not gonna say Melo is a more accomplished player simply because his style of play can result in that particular award.

I doubt we'd see a guy like Paul George lead the league in anything, but he's definitely greater than a guy who's simply an inefficient volume scorer or a guy like Ibaka who can lead in blocks.

I just don't see any reason to value these type of awards. I don't really care if a guy leads the league in 1 specific thing.

If player A averages 28/4/2 on 42% while playing no D and player B averages 26/8/6 on 52% while being a valuable defender, you shouldn't give the obviously worse player extra credit because he happens to lead the league at 1 specific stat. It really doesn't matter.
    Last edited by NumberSix; 11-16-2013 at 07:09 PM.

Decent playground baller

Uh.. we are talking about ALL TIME TOP 10 here... that ain't a walk in the park and you automatically gets to be in that conversation.

KD has only been to the finals once. He is a great scorer, no doubt, but that aside, what else has he accomplish?

KD has had great teams in the recent years, and has NOT proven he is a winner yet. So as far as top 10 conversation is concern, he is far from it.

You don't get to be in top 10 just because you are the youngest to score 20,000 or whatever. Come back in 5 years, and lets talk where KD is, for now, he is nothing more than a Allen Iverson/TMac.

Oscar Robertson isn't listed as one of the top 10 ever if you aren't a guy obsessed with oldies. And yet you are talking about Kevin Durant?!

Even he wins multiple MVPs and multiple rings, he probably will not be counted as top 10. He isn't just that good. Simple as that.

Now... STFU OP.

Rings as leader, co-leader or 2nd in command. No Fisher/Horry rings

College superstar AintNoSunshine's Avatar

3 rings, 3 mvps, 3 fmvp, some scoring champs and some scoring records.

Because Lebron being a better player than Durant really didn't crack the top 10 before his back to back championships and fmvp's, even today some people still don't have him in the top 10. So for Durant to get there, he needs to have the hardwares as well as showing he's one of the most lethal scorer the league has seen.

College star

1-2 MVPS, 2 Rings+, 1FMVP+, some iconic games in the playoffs when his team needs him the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Odinn
    Oscar Robertson isn't listed as one of the top 10 ever if you aren't a guy obsessed with oldies. And yet you are talking about Kevin Durant?!

Even he wins multiple MVPs and multiple rings, he probably will not be counted as top 10. He isn't just that good. Simple as that.

Now... STFU OP.
    It was merely an observation when surveying his talents. I don't know why useless, no-name posters like you get worked up over someone else's opinion. If you don't like the concept behind this thread, don't post in it. It's that simple.

Depends on who you have #10 on your all-time list... if its lets say Lebron, then KD will need to get preferably more than 4 mvps, 2 rings, 2 fmvps to surpass him, not to mention same or better impact/peak...

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    Depends on who you have #10 on your all-time list... if its lets say Lebron, then KD will need to get preferably more than 4 mvps, 2 rings, 2 fmvps to surpass him, not to mention same or better impact/peak...
    LeBron won't be top 10 by the end of his career. I see him in the top 5 by then.

All a matter of opinions, of course. It's hard to displace MJ, Magic, Bird, Wilt & Kareem.

Quote Originally Posted by asdf1990
    1-2 MVPS, 2 Rings+, 1FMVP+, some iconic games in the playoffs when his team needs him the most.
    He will definitely need to do better than that, the top 10 right now is stacked with fiercely monumental players & accolades...

Ranks #7-#8-#9-#10 are fought right now between players who have up to 5 rings, 4 mvps, 3 fmvps (not to mention everything else) and were just plain better overall actual ball players than KD, maybe better than KD will ever be.... it will be... tough...
    Last edited by pauk; 11-16-2013 at 10:58 PM.