Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: So did the Nets' plan ultimately fail?

Quote Originally Posted by DuMa
    i seem to remember the heat went 9-8 during the first games of the Heatles dynasty
    Indy started 2-4 last year and was around .500 the first half of the season.

Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

they hitched their wagon to Deron Williams

It's because these GMs don't seem to learn. They should have seen the writing on the wall back with the Shaq/Kobe/Malone/Payton experiment. You don't add on a bunch of OLD former star players, expecting that they will be the difference. It doesn't work like that. All you get is a bunch of extra egos to manage without the superstar talent behind it.

Same thing with the Lakers with Nash/Howard (though most people probably didn't expect Howard to actually play like an old guy).

And now the Nets.

Nets nickname should be Grumpy Old Men.

Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe
    It's because these GMs don't seem to learn. They should have seen the writing on the wall back with the Shaq/Kobe/Malone/Payton experiment. You don't add on a bunch of OLD former star players, expecting that they will be the difference. It doesn't work like that. All you get is a bunch of extra egos to manage without the superstar talent behind it.

Same thing with the Lakers with Nash/Howard (though most people probably didn't expect Howard to actually play like an old guy).

And now the Nets.

Nets nickname should be Grumpy Old Men.
    The 2003 Lakers made the Finals.
    I'd take that.

Meanwhile the oldest teams are generally the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Draz
    You'd be surprised. A lot of people thought they'd make it to the finals.
    yea a lot of delusional dumb asses had them winning tha title in June but none of them wanna listen to me

Decent playground baller redboy's Avatar

it's been 9 games

i'm not a nets fan, but jesus christ the season is still young

The same problems I told the ball fans at my school would lead to the nets failure. .. is exactly what seems to be happening.

However, what's surprising is that they're struggling so early. I thought because they're in the east they would have an inflated record early on... and those weaknesses would really be crippling once playoff time comes.

Regardless fans need to be weary of the "2k team mndset", aka believing that stars put on one team automatically equates to wins, regardless of coaching, system, playstyles or age. I saw these same issues with the Lakers last year

lol season just started.

I think they are going to be a good team. Their ball movement sometime is ridiculously good.

KG looking old though so dunno if their defense will come together.

Quote Originally Posted by Purch
    The same problems I told the ball fans at my school would lead to the nets failure. .. is exactly what seems to be happening.

However, what's surprising is that they're struggling so early. I thought because they're in the east they would have an inflated record early on... and those weaknesses would really be crippling once playoff time comes.

Regardless fans need to be weary of the "2k team mndset", aka believing that stars put on one team automatically equates to wins, regardless of coaching, system, playstyles or age. I saw these same issues with the Lakers last year
    Why are surprised they are struggling early? They are a new team with a lot of injuries.
    And if anything they are made for the playoffs, not the regular season. They've played their best against Miami and Indy which is a good sign.

Dunking on everybody in the park alexd's Avatar

Lightbulb Re: So did the Nets' plan ultimately fail?

They are not meant to go good in the regular season.wtf is wrong with you?they are experienced and deep enough to challenge anyone in the playoffs.their best players are still young and have experienced and proven players around them.they don t have egos and they are a team that can win anyone on th road which is very important in the playoffs.ofc they ll lose many games in the regular season.think this :when a game is close what is it more important, lose a regular season game or make an effort with your injury prone players?they must play safe and not try to contest close games.they should focus the bigger picture here and have patience and stay healthy for the playoffs

Local High School Star The JKidd Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Connor B
    Chauncey Billups has more star power than any of those guys. He may not be a better player stat wise but he was a game changer.
    No, not at all. Do you even watch games?

NBA rookie of the year It's A VC3!!!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialQue
    No one predicted a finals appearance for the Nets.
    Las Vegas odds had them as the 6th most likely team to win a championship.

To OP: Yes, the Nets have failed thus far but we'll accurately answer that question at the end of the season.

I think you're making a rather big assumption, assuming that a team with a rookie head coach, 3 ball dominant wings, and b-lo and kg, will suddenly find cohesion and turn it on for the playoffs. To me that's reserved for a team like the Spurs or the big 3 era in Boston, where you have an offensive system, where everyones role is already defined , and there's cohesion, which allows them to coast and turn it on when they need to. This teams head coach is learning on the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckOakley
    The 2003 Lakers made the Finals.
    I'd take that.

Meanwhile the oldest teams are generally the best.
    It's hilarious how making it to the finals is seen as a massive failure here. I can think of a few franchises that would fill their pants with jizz if their team even made the conference finals, let alone the finals.

The Nets lack someone who can get to the rim.

Moreover, teams only go as far as their star players take them. How will the Nets do? As well as Deron Williams and Brook Lopez do. Will Williams get in better condition and play better defense? Will Lopez improve his rebounding?