Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Default Hakeem: Dwight Has Reverted To Old Habits

Many years before he became mentor to the stars, teaching the fine art of his post moves to the likes of Kobe Bryant, LeBron James and Dwight Howard (among others), a young Hakeem Olajuwon was a Nigerian student who found answers on the basketball court. “The game was introduced at my school and I learned it from scratch,” Olajuwon said. “I learned about the rules and how to play basketball and I also learned about work ethic, teamwork and communication. Those are tools that are part of a successful life in or out of sports.”

The Hall of Famer was speaking Tuesday from Nigeria, where he was helping to launch a basketball initiative for youth. Even from half a world away, though, Olajuwon was thinking about the struggles of his current pupil, Howard, who he mentored in the offseason after the big man signed a four-year, $88-million free agent contract with the Rockets, Olajuwon’s former team.

“The truth is that I can’t wait to get back to Houston to do more work with Dwight,” said Olajuwon, who left Houston in early October to return to his home in Amman, Jordan and has been keeping track of his pupil on TV. “I wish he was doing a better job.

“Dwight has always been athletic and aggressive and he still is. But when I watch him, what I see are opportunities that he is missing. When he gets the ball, he seems to be taking his time to decide what move to make, where he should go.

“There should not be a delay for Dwight. He must be able to make a faster recognition of the situations and react immediately with a go-to move. You must move right away before the defense has a chance to set up. You must be the one making the first move so that you can force the defender to always be the one reacting.

“I thought we were doing a good job with this when we were working together over the summer and at the start of training camp. But what I see now is that when Dwight gets in competition, he has a tendency to go back to all of his old habits. He’s just doing all of the things that he did before. He needs a reminder.”

Olajuwon plans to return to Houston prior to the NBA All-Star break in February and will remain in Houston through the end of the season and the playoffs.

“Maybe if I am there with him all of the time we can reinforce new habits and make it all feel natural,” Olajuwon said.

Olajuwon, who was a .712 shooter on free throws through his 18-year NBA career, has cringed long distance while watching Howard make a career low .531 from the foul line this season.

“I think this is where a confident routines comes in,” Olajuwon said. “It’s not just putting in hours and hours of work. It’s getting a solid routine and staying with it. With Dwight right now, I think it’s more mental. Sometimes you just have to let it go. Don’t think. Don’t hesitate. Just trust your routine and let it go.

“I won’t say that you can’t ever win a championship as a big man if you don’t shoot free throws well, because Shaq did it four times. But it can be a deciding factor, so you want to fix it.”
    http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/1...dwight-howard/

Is Hakeem gonna have to apologize to Dwight again for down talking him and hurting his feeling's again?

Bay Areaaaaaaaaaaa! DavisWarriorsFan's Avatar

Default Re: Hakeem: Dwight Has Reverted To Old Habits

Sounds like Hakeem is saying Dwight is stupid. Maybe Kareem is right about Dwight having a very low basketball IQ.

I agree.

It sounds like Olajuwon is confirming all the stuff Kareem said.

If this dudes athleticism erodes quick then Houston is going to be eating one hell of a contract.

Miami Thrice = Dynasty FlashDwyaneWade3's Avatar

You hurt his feelings, Hakeem!

OP is clearly a salty Lakers fan still butthurt over Dwight leaving LA.

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialQue
    I'm not a Laker fan.

Miami Thrice = Dynasty FlashDwyaneWade3's Avatar

Hakeem is salty about Dwight not using his moves.

His username is KingLebronGOAT

It's clear to anyone watching the Rockets that Dwight has a lot of work to do if he wants to succeed in Houston long term. This article, and Hakeem's commentary - hell everyone in the media is saying these things- aren't all shitting on Dwight for last year's drama. It's about his play so far this season.

you can't stop me get these NETS's Avatar

waste of time having an nba vet who is not built like, nor has the agility of dream attempt to pattern his game after dream or even copy moves

Banned

Didn't Dallas and Boston recently win the NBA Championship with defensive centers?

Wow, two people actually took my post seriously.

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by CanYouDigIt
    Didn't Dallas and Boston recently win the NBA Championship with defensive centers?
    Is Howard going to settle for just being a defensive center?

No he's not, isn't that why he left LA?

He wants his touches, he wants his shots. But he has zero post moves. If he settled for a Tyson Chandler type role and just focused on defence, put backs, dunks and rebounding, then Houston may have a chance.

Right now, they don't. And Howard is to blame for that.

Quote Originally Posted by KingLeBronJames
    I'm not a Laker fan.
    That was sarcasm