Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Default Re: Prime Patrick Ewing Would Be the 2nd Best Player in the NBA Today

I'd take Ewing over Paul and Durant any day of the week. You got a guy who is a legit first option and a defensive anchor. Why would anyone take a sf or pg over that?

College superstar AintNoSunshine's Avatar

He and Durant will be very close. He was a great 2-way player I think that's what makes him special in today's league.

Local High School Star Stringer Bell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SacJB Shady
    I think this whole era thing is just one of them things where everyone is always gonna say their era or the previous era was better. Just like in music, 90's, 80's, classical, etc. People just can't accept that the players are just as good if not better today. Was there freaks like Durant or Lebron 20 years ago? Think about it!
    The center position sucks today. Dwight Howard would barely be a top 5 center twenty years ago.

Lebron is a freakish talent and would be great in any era. Durant would be a top player too with his offensive talents.

But this is a poor era for centers.

No doubt.

I'll take Durant over Ewing any day. Ewing would be a top 5 player.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by moe94
    Ewing was not better than Paul or Durant.

I forgot, Paul is actually worse than Payton, Tim Hardaway, Penny, Stockton, KJ, etc the list just goes on and on

As for Durant? Not even remotely on Pippen or Grant Hill's level.

BTW, a similar thread was used to discredit Howard and the state of centers in modern basketball, back when Howard was still a dominant force. People basically agreed Ewing was not even as good as Dwight and that Dwight, yes, would be a top 5 C of the 90s. Times change, I guess.
    The historical over-rating of Paul has to stop. And I like Paul...think he's going to go down as a top 5 pg ever. But, to act like prime Ewing was not as good or better is a ****ing joke. This was a legit center that could give you like 25 or more and 11 boards all while playing strong defense.

I'd take current Lebron and Durant over prime Ewing, but honestly...don't think I'd take anyone else currently. The league is very weak right now in terms of a lot of superstars. Howard has declined, Dirk/KG/Kobe/Duncan are all old, Wade isn't the player he used to be, PG looks great but isn't in his prime yet. Seriously...Ewing would be in that "who's the best after Lebron" group...and I'd argue very few people would consider current Paul better than Ewing if he played today.

If I had to take a 3rd guy after Bron and Durant, I'd take the admiral over Ewing.

The real question is, if we are talking prime only would I take prime KG over admiral?

Prime Kemp isn't even in the conversation.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Ewing all day every day.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    If Ewing was on a team like the Pacers, say instead of Hibbert, they would demolish the Heat, he would be the clear cut first option, and they would have a serious chance of winning it all. I'd take Ewing over anybody but LeBron.
    If they had prime Ewing instead of Hibbert....they wouldn't just have a serious chance, they would have by far the best team in the league. It wouldn't even be all that close honestly.

They'd be prohibitive favorites to win it all. The defense might dip ever so slightly, but the offense would get much better. That stagnant Pacers offense at times would go away and they'd have a legit go-to guy in the post for every second he was out there.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    If they had prime Ewing instead of Hibbert....they wouldn't just have a serious chance, they would have by far the best team in the league. It wouldn't even be all that close honestly.

They'd be prohibitive favorites to win it all. The defense might dip ever so slightly, but the offense would get much better. That stagnant Pacers offense at times would go away and they'd have a legit go-to guy in the post for every second he was out there.
    How do you figure the defense slips by adding Ewing? Just asking.

Some people are confusing prime Ewing with past prime Ewing. Ewing was a monster on D until '91-'92 when his legs started to go. His D slowly faded and he fell in love with the 15-17 footer. That's the Ewing many people in this thread are referring to and that's not Ewing at his peak.

Ewing was at his peak around '89-'90. That was the Ewing with fresh legs, not as much jump shooting, and blocking 3-4 shots a game with ease. He was basically Dwight Howard minus the athleticism, but with a MUCH more polished offensive game. Prime Ewing was putting up 24-26 a game(pushing 30 at his peak), 11-12 boards, and 3-4 blocks. And unlike Dwight, Ewing could actually shoot foul shots. Career 74% shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Trentknicks
    How do you figure the defense slips by adding Ewing? Just asking.
    Because they'd ask more of him offensively...and he doesn't have the length of Hibbert. I think Ewing was probably around 6-10...Hibbert might be a legit 7-1/7-2.

I'm pretty high on Hibbert defensively. He's a beast...

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    Because they'd ask more of him offensively...and he doesn't have the length of Hibbert. I think Ewing was probably around 6-10...Hibbert might be a legit 7-1/7-2.

I'm pretty high on Hibbert defensively. He's a beast...

Ewing is 6'10". I met him and I'm 6'8". He's no 7 footer, well perhaps in sneakers and his fade.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatethunder
    No he was not, he was 6'10". Not that it matters. I'm not sure which Patrick Ewing you saw play but I don't think of him as particularly athletic. He had a great jumper for sure and was a real warrior and no doubt was awesome. I don't think he's underrated at all. Maybe on this board because 90% of the people here never saw him play. I dunno that he'd be the second best player in the league. He would easily be the best center. I mean head and shoulders above anything that's around today.
    That's about right... This must be the weakest center era ever. Ewing would be All NBA First Team and probably All NBA defensive team. I've watched him play from day one in the league.

Considering his impact and the center pool nowadays, I would take peak Ewing over anyone not named LeBron James and Kevin Durant... And it would still be a tough choice, especially vs KD.