Good college starter

Default Those who've played The Walking Dead and The Last Of Us

I just recently finished The Walking Dead on PC and it was an amazing game. I looked into the Last of Us and it looks like a similar concept. How comparable are the stories and how's the replay value of The Last of Us? I don't have a PS3 but I might just grab one for this game.

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Default Re: Those who've played The Walking Dead and The Last Of Us

The Last of Us, IMO, does not have much replay value unless you like to get trophies. It has a tacked on multi-player mode which I thought was unnecessary. It's a game that is primarily focused on its great characterization and story. I'm sure I'll one day replay it but once I was done, I had no reason to play again for now. There is only one way the story will go and the gameplay, while solid, wasn't anything amazing.

The relationship between the two main characters is VERY comparable to Lee/Clem. You really get sucked into their story and it's the best part of the game. For me, it didn't have the same strong emotional effect that Walking Dead had but that's just personal preference.

Obviously the gameplay differences are huge. The Last of Us is an action/stealth game whereas The Walking Dead is a point and click adventure game.
    Last edited by Qwyjibo; 12-02-2013 at 12:10 AM.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
    The Last of Us, IMO, does not have much replay value unless you like to get trophies. It has a tacked on multi-player mode which I thought was unnecessary. It's a game that is primarily focused on its great characterization and story. I'm sure I'll one day replay it but once I was done, I had no reason to play again for now. There is only one way the story will go and the gameplay, while solid, wasn't anything amazing.

The relationship between the two main characters is VERY comparable to Lee/Clem. You really get sucked into their story and it's the best part of the game. For me, it didn't have the same strong emotional effect that Walking Dead had but that's just personal preference.

Obviously the gameplay differences are huge. The Last of Us is an action/stealth game whereas The Walking Dead is a point and click adventure game.
    Thanks. How about the choices that your character makes? Does it have a big impact on how the story plays out? I felt that in the Walking Dead, by the end of the game, it didn't make much of a difference what choices you made. It only affected the tone of the game momentarily, but the end result was the same.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by iTare
    Haven't played The Last of Us but I cried at the end of The Walking Dead game.
    Yeah, that was the most emotional I ever got playing a game. Looking forward to their next season.

College star

The TellTale Walking Dead games are some of the best I've ever played. The survival instinct version with the Dixon brothers is a steaming pile of crap from what I heard.

TLOU vs TWD, they don't compare at all. Both great, but TWD is episodic where as TLOU is an action adventure that best compares to the uncharted series(also by naughty dog)

NBA lottery pick

TLoU is pretty overrated.

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsFanNumero1
    Thanks. How about the choices that your character makes? Does it have a big impact on how the story plays out? I felt that in the Walking Dead, by the end of the game, it didn't make much of a difference what choices you made. It only affected the tone of the game momentarily, but the end result was the same.
    As far as I remember, there are no choices. There is one path and one ending.

Welcome to LA S. Nash! rhythmic 's Avatar

TLoU is the best game ever created.

[QUOTE=rhythmic

I am here to vouch for TLoU. It's possibly the GOAT game created up to this point.

iWANNAgoHIGHER. emsteez forreal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Qwyjibo

have you actually played the multiplayer on last of us (factions)? me and all my roommates play at least a few matches a day and i've had multiple people tell me it's one of the best online shooters they've ever played. not an extremely unrealistic run and gun like COD, but at the same time not too hyper-realistic where it's not fun. maybe you did play it and didn't like it because, granted, you'll always suck for the first handful of matches you play online, a lot of strategy involved.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I played both and I loved both. But both are really different just because of the gameplay elements.

I replayed through TLoU a second time. Mainly for trophy hunting related reasons, however, there are some things in the trophy hunting that make it worth wild. Namely for me would be completing the comic book story, just because it's very well written, with some obvious parrallells to the story.

I thought the action and stealth were great in TLoU. Other than Ellie's popping out of coverage, and magically being unable to be seen. It's very tense. There are some moments that are incredibly memorable. The story is incredibly affecting. Very touching in spots. And something I think that it didn't get credit for is how it wrote it's own sort of fresh zombie lore. The spore infections. The clickers and bloaters and stuff were all superbly modelled, and just a great new take on zombie content. The pacing is incredible. The way they move season to season. It's just a great piece of story telling.

There are obviously some major overlaps with TWD game. I too was probably more touched at the end of that game than any I'd ever played. But I was also a little bothered figuring out that my actions in the game didn't have the long term impact on the story they felt like they were going too. And while the point and click type gaming was interesting in a retro kind of way, there were points where it was incredibly frustrating. Had they not gotten Clementine as perfect as they were able to get her, I think that game would've been viewed as an interesting footnote, and not a GoTY nominee like it was.

And just for full disclosure, I'm a big Uncharted fan, and perhaps a little predisposed to liking TLoU, if not for fan related reasons, but because the game felt comfortable and familiar in terms of playability for me.