Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
    Local High School Star Stringer Bell's Avatar

Default Re: "He carried the team on his back to a ring"

What exactly is "carrying a team on your back" anyway? It sounds like just a cliche.

Even if your top guy is playing way better than everyone else, he still needs help for the team to win.

You aren't winning a title without solid help from your teammates.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringer Bell
    What exactly is "carrying a team on your back" anyway? It sounds like just a cliche.

Even if your top guy is playing way better than everyone else, he still needs help for the team to win.

You aren't winning a title without solid help from your teammates.
    Yeah. I kind of get this pov too.

I would consider 'carrying' if you average like 80 points every game for the whole playoffs. It's just not realistic. You need help from your team mates in every sport.

NBA rookie of the year

It's never happened. Ever.

Love Live Life

No player in the history of team sports have done this.

It's a team sport!

Each player has a role to fulfill

I've never in my life seen someone play 1 vs 5 and win.

That phrase is ridiculous.

Maybe the player made key players to help the team win but it still wouldn't have worked without his teammates

Very good NBA starter

Yea it's a team sport.... it takes a great team... but it's amazing the kind of impact an elite two-way player in his prime can have.... and in saying that, metaphors like "carried a team on his back" will always have a place in sports

Duncan in 03 is a great example.... dude is all over the place! ....scoring on one end and rejecting shots on the other and running the break even.... getting triple and quadruple teamed in some plays..... Pretty inspiring stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC8NapbDkes

out of 288 possible minutes in the finals (6 games), Duncan played in 263 of them (91%).... and no other Spur came close (Jackson @ 36 mpg, Parker @ 35 mpg , Bruce @ 29 mpg)... That to me is "carrying a team on your back" when you're involved in virtually every offensive and defensive play

results:

24 ppg (.50 FG%).... 17 rpg.... 5 apg.... 5 bpg.... 1 spg.... 44 mpg

Spurs average score: 87 ppg (low scoring team)

Cliche statements like "carrying a team on his back" has evolved into something literal. No one guy wins a game on his own

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    Cliche statements like "carrying a team on his back" has evolved into something literal. No one guy wins a game on his own
    If people needed you to explain that to them, I feel very sorry for them lol

I'll continue... "he's on fire" shouldn't be taken literally folks... nor should "he put the defender on skates"... or "his teammate hung him out to dry"..... and so on and so on... too many metaphors and similes to say

yet, some times.... ironically enough.... that perfectly described what happened!

Quote Originally Posted by SCdac
    If people needed you to explain that to them, I feel very sorry for them lol

I'll continue... "he's on fire" shouldn't be taken literally folks... nor should "he put the defender on skates"... or "his teammate hung him out to dry"..... and so on and so on... too many metaphors and similes to say

yet, some times.... ironically enough.... that perfectly described what happened!
    Lol. Im not saying it in that literal a sense. What I mean is fans seem to take it literally meaning they feel one player won a game or series or even season by themself

Local High School Star Stringer Bell's Avatar

I figure people just mean "he carried a heavy burden for the team and did a whole lot", but I still don't like the cliche.