Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Reasons why the Kobe vs. Jordan comparison is more intriguing than Lebron vs. Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by stephanieg
    Jordan didn't redefine anything.

Kobe isn't an immortal.

LeBron doesn't guard five positions, unless you work for ESPN.
    Are u a troll!!

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Default Re: Reasons why the Kobe vs. Jordan comparison is more intriguing than Lebron vs. Jordan

[QUOTE=XxNemesis29xX]The comparisons between Kobe or Lebron vs. Jordan are pretty endless. While this isn't a Kobe > Lebron or Lebron > Kobe thread or either > Jordan, I just wanna talk about some of the things that make Kobe's comparison to Jordan so much more intriguing. And also why I think it's one of the most heavily discussed topics in basketball. And if not this, so many other topics hover around it, it's really interesting.

So with that, I just find the Kobe/Jordan comparisons a lot more compelling than that of Lebron's, because of how much personality the comparison has.

1) Kobe watched Jordan growing up; Lebron likely saw more Kobe as the best player on TV then
    2) Kobe actually played Jordan in the league: Kobe as a rising star, and Jordan in his grand finale years. Lebron will never have this opportunity.
    3) Similar to the hype of Lebron joining the NBA while he was in high school, there was a similar hype level with Kobe being the next Jordan while Jordan was still playing
    4) The similarity in game play-styles: it just shows the personality of the relationship between Kobe and Jordan; how much Kobe wants to be Jordan, or be better than Jordan, yet respects that he is Kobe because of Jordan. Lebron on the other hand, while incredible talents, just doesn't have that same mirror image to Jordan, as a playmaker
    5) Respect in each other. It's clear Kobe respects Jordan, he's even said Jordan is the greatest of all-time, yet clearly wants to overshadow him, or die trying. Likewise, Jordan has always had Kobe's back, truly passing on the torch, rather than now a days where everyone is battling for it (Lebron vs. Durant vs. Kobe vs. whoever)
    6) They had the same coach. Stayed in the same team their whole career. It really is amazing how many similarities there are, what are the chances they had the same coach for most of their careers? One thing Phil said that was surprising in comparing Jordan to Kobe was, Jordan was competitive EVERYTHING: cards, chess, pool, it wasn't just basketball. Kobe on the other hand, is only extremely competitive in basketball. This only adds the rivalry he has with Jordan, it's only in basketball and only because of Jordan. Heck, they even won their championships in very similar ways (2 3-peats, 1 3-peat + 2-peat)
    7) That elusive 6th ring. This would be his crowning achievement in his Legacy, to finally "match" Jordan. The debates on if they were on the same level would never end, but this would be a significant achievement in making that comparison more "credible." It makes me understand how a 35 year old player with 17 years of game legs, multiple injuries, and a team that just isn't the favorite to win it all, and THEN has a complete achilles tear at the end of the season

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    Kobe continued to speak to MJ and ask for advice well after Jordan was retired. This has been documented. LeBron never reached out to MJ, but revealed right at the start of the season he really wants a relationship with him. He wants the approval of Jordan, given he was his favorite player growing up. Why wouldn't MJ be willing to give LeBron advice? I think it's interesting.

Granted to Kobe's credit, his adulation for Jordan was obvious, and he sought out help from Mike even during games when they were playing.

My reasoning? MJ doesn't help him out because he realizes his ultimate potential as it relates to himself. As much as Kobe tried to be like Mike, he was great, but he flat out wasn't as great as Jordan was. Never had the opportunity to be better. He was the kid brother imitating his big brother who he idolized.

LeBron with a push, however who knows, he could wind up better. He's always had that potential. Do I think he'll go down greater than Jordan? Highly doubt it.
    It's comments like this that remind me that most posters here aren't grown men yet. It might seem sensible to younger guys, but you'll soon see that this kind of thinking doesn't translate into adulthood. At a certain age, most adults don't even concern themselves with their own parents approval.

shhhhhhh

Kobe's the only one to have done the work, to deserve comparison.

Michael Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by gts
    Kobe's the only one to have done the work, to deserve comparison.

Michael Jordan
    "LeBron is probably better than I ever was"

-Michael Jordan
    25 minutes ago

Players like Shaq, MJ and Lebron could make teams automatic contenders.

It is mostly based on resemblence. Kobe is the most Jordan-esque player we've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    "LeBron is probably better than I ever was"

-NumberSix