Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    College superstar

Default Athleticism: MJ vs Lebron

Not talking about talent or level of play, just purely based on athletic ability.

MJ was stated to have a 48 inch vertical and ran as low as a 4.3 in the 40 yard dash.
    Sauces:
    http://www.topendsports.com/testing/...tical-jump.htm
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas...rchive/831128/

Lebron is said to have around a 40 inch vertical at his peak and is said to have run the 40 in 4.6 "without any training".
    Sauces:
    http://espn.go.com/espn/thelife/body...de=lebronjames
    http://tracking.si.com/2013/02/27/he...n-4-6-seconds/

Lebron's size definitely has something to do with his lower vertical and 40 time and that should be taken into consideration. Which would you consider to be the more athletic player?

Local High School Star

Default Re: Athleticism: MJ vs Lebron

MJ

being atheltic is more than just about strength, speed, and jumping ability. its also about balance, agility, reflexes, and body control. if you're a great overall athletic, you can transcend nearly all sports.

put it like this, if they were to compete in:

skateboarding
    baseball
    football
    basketball
    skiing
    soccer
    surfing
    gymnastics
    golf
    fencing
    tennis
    hockey
    etc.

jordan would have more overall success when its tallied up.
    Last edited by f0und; 12-10-2013 at 01:23 PM.

MJ is great and all but who are people kidding. Lebron is the most athletic athlete of this era. Lebron could easily be in the NFL with proper training.

Quote Originally Posted by SavageMode
    MJ is great and all but who are people kidding. Lebron is the most athletic athlete of this era. Lebron could easily be in the NFL with proper training.
    He would be an absolutely devastating wideout.

Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

MJ had quicker acceleration and devasting first step

Lebron has longer strides and might be faster at top speed running one direction

Magic Johnson

It's difficult to compare the two. Jordan had abilities of little guys that are rarely seen in players his size. LeBron has abilities of bigger guys rarely seen in players his size. Both are once-in-a-generation type athletes.

Banned

People legit think Jordan had a 48 vertical. They truly believe he jumped higher than Nate Robinson.

I get superstar calls j3lademaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by moe94
    People legit think Jordan had a 48 vertical. They truly believe he jumped higher than Nate Robinson.
    I have a hard time taking NBA measurements (height, weight, etc) seriously anymore.

Decent college freshman Mass Debator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by f0und
    MJ

being atheltic is more than just about strength, speed, and jumping ability. its also about balance, agility, reflexes, and body control. if you're a great overall athletic, you can transcend nearly all sports.

put it like this, if they were to compete in:

skateboarding
    baseball
    football
    basketball
    skiing
    soccer
    surfing
    gymnastics
    golf
    fencing
    tennis
    hockey
    etc.

jordan would have more overall success when its tallied up.
    I agree a lot with you're saying but primarily because Lebron is too big to play most of those sports. I think Lebron can excel or be good in the more physical contact sports if his mindset is right but his height probably won't make him elite (other than basketball and maybe football). However, I don't think being able to great in multiple sports is a significant indicator on how athletic a person is. People who are 5'11-6'4 are probably more suited at being great across the board.

Lebron is probably the most athletic person at his size like Shaq and Wilt are at theirs. My argument is just a simple "I think what Lebron does at 6'8" 250-260 is more impressive than Jordan does at 6'6" 210-220." Heck, I even think Calvin Johnson is more impressive at 6'5 230-240.

At the end of the day though, Michael Jordan's size is perfect for basketball especially playing the position that he does, and it shows in his game. I compare Randy Moss to him when it comes to prototypical body for his position, but Moss didn't have that leadership and killer instinct mindset about him to make him the consensus pick as the GOAT receiver. No knock on Jordan as he is the b-ball GOAT, but IMO, Lebron is a bit more athletic.

Lebron lacks lateral speed, peak MJ would dominate LBJ in any athletic event

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    He would be an absolutely devastating wideout.
    But how would he handle the contact?

Local High School Star Stringer Bell's Avatar

I'm not even really sure exactly about what really constitutes "athletic". In basketball, people tend to think of it mainly with speed, strength, and leaping ability, with some emphasis on balance and agility.

Watch Michael Jordan and Danny Ainge play, and everyone would say "MJ is way more athletic". One is fast and strong, jumps out of the gym, has great balance and body control, agility, and the other guy rifles basketballs at Mario Elie's head.

But Ainge played major league baseball and was an all-state quarterback in High School. Not a good pro baseball player, but it's the friggin major leagues.

What exactly are we going by?
    Last edited by Stringer Bell; 12-10-2013 at 03:08 PM.

NBA Superstar

LeBron didn't run a 4.6

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Marchesk
    But how would he handle the contact?

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

MJ was more athletic but he was 6'6 210 lbs. Vince Carter was ridiculously athletic as well...and Wade who is only 2 inches shorter...and T-mac, Jason Richardson, Desmon Mason all were athletic as sh*t as well.

Lebron has no peers in terms of athleticism for a 6'9 250 lb player. That's why people say he's a freak.