Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default Boston Celtics at Brooklyn Celtics 12/10 7:30 Game Thread

When the schedule came out, this game was looked at as the opportunity for Garnett and Pierce (Terry, Frank) to get some goodbyes out of the way, hugs, as they happily went about their business as members of the title contending Brooklyn Nets, getting ready to wipe out the pesky but rebuilding Celtics. You'd figure Nets would be 3,4 games over 500 (growing pains) in first place and the Celtics would be lottery bound.

Things don't always go like you expect.

The Celtics are in first place, and only the hopeless Knicks (crushed by Boston sunday) keep them from last place. Two rookie coaches, one (Brad Stevens) embraced by his team and having them humming along, the other (Jason Kidd) firing his chief assistant. The former Celtics? Hurt (Pierce, doubtful and Terry out) and looking old (Garnett) and arguably unhappy. Garnett on Frank - "He was doing a very good job, I don't know what happened. I'll miss him." Not exactly an endorsement of Kidd. (He also said Kidd is adding a lot of new stuff which is "confusing everyone".)

There is a bit of light at the end of the tunnel, Deron Williams comes back from what feels like forever to take his spot at PG. Much like with the Knicks and Chandler, the blame is shifted to the missing players. Which is fine, unless things don't turn around quickly.

So what was supposed to be a pretty meaningless game with a Celtic subplot is a pretty important early season game for the Nets to stop the bleeding. Who knew?
    Last edited by niko; 12-10-2013 at 04:38 PM.

Default Re: Boston Celtics at Brooklyn Celtics 12/10 7:30 Game Thread

Time to take out the garbage. Sorry KG, it's nothing personal.

Banned

Lets go celtics!!!!

College superstar BlackWhiteGreen's Avatar

Meh, this means little to me. The game in Boston is the one that really matters.

That said... I'll be disappointed if we don't win tonight. Which says so much for what Stevens has already done with this team

celtics by 41

Banned

I want to see something controversial, because the kissy kissy lovefest between the Celtic and Net fanbase was sickening. The Nets were just glad the Celtics gave them players and wanted them to win. The Celtic fans wanted the Nets to do great (despite the fact you could get their picks).

Now the Nets need a win, the Celtic fans laugh at each loss and hope for Wiggins. Some good old fashioned sports related hate. Let's go!

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    I want to see something controversial, because the kissy kissy lovefest between the Celtic and Net fanbase was sickening. The Nets were just glad the Celtics gave them players and wanted them to win. The Celtic fans wanted the Nets to do great (despite the fact you could get their picks).
    either way the picks weren't going to us anyways, hawks have them. The picks that really matter are the ones after 2015

But we're winning, and the nets are sinking sooner than later. So we have nothing to be worried about

Now the Nets need a win, the Celtic fans laugh at each loss and hope for Wiggins. Some good old fashioned sports related hate. Let's go!
    where's the hate in that? According to you we want to lose and Nets want to win. So do we hate the Nets if they lose? The only thing I hate about the Nets is that they did the pick swap with Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWhiteGreen
    where's the hate in that? According to you we want to lose and Nets want to win. So do we hate the Nets if they lose? The only thing I hate about the Nets is that they did the pick swap with Atlanta
    It's not everyone (every Celtic fan is about to yell at me NOT ME) but this "i hope the Nets do well too" i didn't get because they are in your division. I get if you watch a game you cheer for Garnett, but actively rooting for another team in your division, for a fanbase like Boston that has things to cheer about and is aggresive and angry (in a good way) makes me sad.

I hope everyone is yelling at each other in the game thread and there is pushing and shoving and emotion. Too many NBA games are like glorified scrimmages at times, i like when it's more intense than that.

It's not everyone (every Celtic fan is about to yell at me NOT ME) but this "i hope the Nets do well too" i didn't get because they are in your division. I get if you watch a game you cheer for Garnett, but actively rooting for another team in your division, for a fanbase like Boston that has things to cheer about and is aggresive and angry (in a good way) makes me sad.

I hope everyone is yelling at each other in the game thread and there is pushing and shoving and emotion. Too many NBA games are like glorified scrimmages at times, i like when it's more intense than that.
    I totally agree, but there's two reasons why that won't happen:

1. The main one is that there is too much respect for Pierce/KG by the young Celts. It's totally understandable given they are both HoFs and if you grew as a player in that environment, you're going to respect the guys who got you there.

2. Also, these Celtics just play the game. There's plenty of attitude about proving the doubters wrong but then that doesn't translate into an aggressive attitude, they're more focused. Plus because no one expects them to win, they don't really get mad when they don't. (Apart from Wallace)

I loved those Heat-Celtics, Celtics-Lakers matchups of the KG era Celtics. But that isn't this team, and especially not against former teammates like Garnett and Pierce.

EDIT: and want Pierce and KG to do well because they both deserved more than 1 ring in Boston. And I feel bad they won't get another one.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWhiteGreen
    I totally agree, but there's two reasons why that won't happen:

1. The main one is that there is too much respect for Pierce/KG by the young Celts. It's totally understandable given they are both HoFs and if you grew as a player in that environment, you're going to respect the guys who got you there.

2. Also, these Celtics just play the game. There's plenty of attitude about proving the doubters wrong but then that doesn't translate into an aggressive attitude, they're more focused. Plus because no one expects them to win, they don't really get mad when they don't. (Apart from Wallace)

I loved those Heat-Celtics, Celtics-Lakers matchups of the KG era Celtics. But that isn't this team, and especially not against former teammates like Garnett and Pierce.

EDIT: and want Pierce and KG to do well because they both deserved more than 1 ring in Boston. And I feel bad they won't get another one.
    It can be intense without extra curricular stuff. The extra stuff by KG in the Knick game for example was chippy but the opposite of intense, it actually showed how disengaged he was from the game. (The result was irrelevent to his behavior.) Really, I just want a good game, not a game where it feels like the result isn't the main reason the game is being played.

I'm going to miss most of this game anyway, almost all of the Knick game. Tuesdays I can't really watch and it feels like both teams not only play every Tuesday, it's often early.

It can be intense without extra curricular stuff. The extra stuff by KG in the Knick game for example was chippy but the opposite of intense, it actually showed how disengaged he was from the game. (The result was irrelevent to his behavior.) Really, I just want a good game, not a game where it feels like the result isn't the main reason the game is being played.

I'm going to miss most of this game anyway, almost all of the Knick game. Tuesdays I can't really watch and it feels like both teams not only play every Tuesday, it's often early.
    Oh don't get me wrong, it'll be a good game, and as I say I expect the Celtics to come out hard and take control as they did against the Nuggets and Knicks. But if we lose? I guess I don't really mind. That's most of this season, as long as we play OK.

Two first year coaches.
    Which one will do a better job tonight?

Just some fun if you wondered how lopsided the KG-Pierce trade is right now:

Bizarre enough that I present you with the following blind comparison:

Player A is averaging 22.7 minutes, 6.4 points and 7.5 rebounds a game.
    Player B is averaging 22.6 minutes, 7.5 points and 5.4 rebounds a game.

Player A is shooting 36.3 percent from the field, and 8-9 from the foul line.
    Player B is shooting 38.9 percent from the field, and 17-17 from the foul line.

Player A is Kevin Garnett.
    Player B is Kelly Olynyk.