Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Tha State of Rap and R&B.

What do you think about tha state of rap and r&b? Rap and r&b haven't been consistently good since tha 90s and early 00s. We went from soul singers singing songs with passion to uplift us or just classic baby makin' music with boys 2 men and mariah carey to shitty autotune with future and drake and repetitive annoying Rihanna. What happened r&b? What about rap? we went from 2pac and old Nas to lil Wayne, rick ross and overrated jay z. What tha phuck happened rap?? What do u think about this? does it need to change and be revived? Is it surprisingly in a good place? let me know...

Default Re: Tha State of Rap and R&B.

There's plenty of good stuff out there. Just gotta turn off bet and your radio and look Holmes.

Fucc a mainstream. Come on down to the underground. It's funky down here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bless Mathews
    There's plenty of good stuff out there. Just gotta turn off bet and your radio and look Holmes.

I agree that underground iz better and do have gems, but I think it don't have that impact like tha 90s, mainly cuz of mainstream. Underground rap have to do better hits wise than them fake ass garbage mainstream artists. They have to have that all around greatness about them. Its just no new innovators in this line of work anymore man. rap in tha 90s simply touched people wayy,,more now, and tha underground simply have to step their game up especially for tha hard headed new generation who just think money iz everything. Something gotta give. Even R&B is watered down, there's no more Anita bakers and mary j. bliges out there. Plus male singers today only consist of chris brown, Trey songz and old ass r. Kelly we actually had a catalog of singers back then.

Quote Originally Posted by moe94

Cutting edge commentary, fresh kid.

[COLOR="White"]seriously, though, this stuff is tired on youtube and comes across almost satirical anywhere else [/COLOR]
    thanks bro and i feel you, u was born in tha 90s?

Quote Originally Posted by Fresh Kid
    What do you think about tha state of rap and r&b? Rap and r&b haven't been consistently good since tha 90s and early 00s. We went from soul singers singing songs with passion to uplift us or just classic baby makin' music with boys 2 men and mariah carey to shitty autotune with future and drake and repetitive annoying Rihanna. What happened r&b? What about rap? we went from 2pac and old Nas to lil Wayne, rick ross and overrated jay z. What tha phuck happened rap?? What do u think about this? does it need to change and be revived? Is it surprisingly in a good place? let me know...
    Most forms of media have been declining in quality with time. R&B sucks now because advances in studio technology mean singers don't need to be able to sing as well as they used to. Ever heard Rihanna live? She's not even R&B IMO and never has been.

Rap sucks now because of the internet and focus on beats and catchy hooks instead of strong lyrics. Rick Ross can't rap for shit but because he has hard beats people like him even though he's a proven fraud. Guys like Soulja Boi get deals through youtube because they can make hits even though their non-radio songs suck.

"What about rap? we went from 2pac and old Nas to lil Wayne, rick ross and overrated jay z." I don't understand how you say we went from Pac and Nas to Ross and Jay like Jay didn't have 4 albums in the 90s and was a platinum seller while Pac was alive. I agree he sucks now but he has nothing to rap about anymore because he's no longer a hustler and there are only so many rich guy stories you can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by KobesFinger
    Most forms of media have been declining in quality with time. R&B sucks now because advances in studio technology mean singers don't need to be able to sing as well as they used to. Ever heard Rihanna live? She's not even R&B IMO and never has been.

Rap sucks now because of the internet and focus on beats and catchy hooks instead of strong lyrics. Rick Ross can't rap for shit but because he has hard beats people like him even though he's a proven fraud. Guys like Soulja Boi get deals through youtube because they can make hits even though their non-radio songs suck.

"What about rap? we went from 2pac and old Nas to lil Wayne, rick ross and overrated jay z." I don't understand how you say we went from Pac and Nas to Ross and Jay like Jay didn't have 4 albums in the 90s and was a platinum seller while Pac was alive. I agree he sucks now but he has nothing to rap about anymore because he's no longer a hustler and there are only so many rich guy stories you can tell.
    That's tha damn problem, jay z should stop rapping. Plus Jay Z was a biter anyway, that niguh stoled mad niguhs rhymes and shit, and he wasn't all that great except for reasonable doubt. Internet iz like a gift and a curse, but tha problem iz that we have to turn that shit into a gift cuz like u said made wack rappers has turned it into a curse. Autotune iz one of tha worst things that ever happened to, mainly cuz u can't feel it from tha artist soul anymore. I agree tho people have to stop being brainwashed by any ol song cuz of tha beat especially if tha lyrics don't talk about nuttin. People have to listen to tha wordz as well just like pac said when he was in jail.

Deity ★ Persona Hoodlum Science's Avatar

Canadian kid trying to school US folks on hip-hop.

... and yes, shit does matter. I don't care what anyone says.

Hi guys what do you think about this one?
    He's a friend of mine, from Milan, Italy.
    I'd appreciate your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasi

Elbows too pointy. 2/10 would not smash.

Deity ★ Persona Hoodlum Science's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jasi
    It doesn't sound too bad. Too bad I don't know Italian.

Quote Originally Posted by rufuspaul
    Elbows too pointy. 2/10 would not smash.

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

I agree 100%, but it's better when the good stuff was in the main stream.

It was just way more fun listening to the new Tupac album in 1995 when I knew that everyone and their mommas was listening to it and that it was going to influence the whole industry.

I don't really get that same energy from listening to albums from underground artists, even though I actually think they are better than Tupac for example.

And of course, when the good stuff was in the mainstream, you could hear it when you were out (at stores, sporting events, theme parks, malls, etc). Today you go to a bball game and Lil Wayne is the most played artist.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

You're missing the main point.

Back then one didn't have to rely on the underground for good shit. The mainstream was giving you top quality music.

Krust Kingz

When records sales for the mainstream took over the record companies responded. Now you get trash music. Simple supply and demand, the consumers didnt want to buy music from the lyrically responsible artist. Then the artist stopped becoming responsible for lyrical contents but making a pop song.

After '94 consumers and record execs took away hip hop diversity and lyrical responsibility.

Gentleman Desperado East_Stone_Ya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rameek
    When records sales for the mainstream took over the record companies responded. Now you get trash music. Simple supply and demand, the consumers didnt want to buy music from the lyrically responsible artist. Then the artist stopped becoming responsible for lyrical contents but making a pop song.

After '94 consumers and record execs took away hip hop diversity and lyrical responsibility.