Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Philosophical Question

Evolution has been more or less a baton race for Millions of years and we humans have evolved into an incredibly formidable unit. Aside from a totally catastrophic event (super massive asteroid messing with the atmosphere or some unstoppable pathogen possibly) we are here to stay. So the question begs, what is the point? Life starts just because it can? Consciousness just because it did? That got me thinking about a couple scenarios.

Of these scenarios, which do you believe is most likely?:

1. The source of creation wants to be found. Evolution is more than just an earthly process - It is the first step in establishing an organism strong enough to eventually venture out of it's home (much like a child leaving home) and then the true quest begins.

2. When we die, we go back to the source and all of it's intelligence is given to us... It can never be found by us in these physical bodies. We can search endlessly, but much like the earth we live on, we will spin in an endless circle/dig down an endless rabitt hole forever or until we destroy ourselves/all power sources are exasperated.

Default Re: Philosophical Question

Quote Originally Posted by Swaggin916
    Evolution has been more or less a baton race for Millions of years and we humans have evolved into an incredibly formidable unit. Aside from a totally catastrophic event (super massive asteroid messing with the atmosphere or some unstoppable pathogen possibly) we are here to stay. So the question begs, what is the point? Life starts just because it can? Consciousness just because it did? That got me thinking about a couple scenarios.

1. The source of creation wants to be found. Evolution is more than just an earthly process - It is the first step in establishing an organism strong enough to eventually venture out of it's home (much like a child leaving home) and then the true quest begins.

2. When we die, we go back to the source and all of it's intelligence is given to us... It can never be found by us in these physical bodies. We can search endlessly, but much like the earth we live on, we will spin in an endless circle/dig down an endless rabitt hole forever or until we destroy ourselves/all power sources are exasperated.
    So do you claim Evolution or you claim purpose?

Both. They can compliment each other.

Both. They can compliment each other.
    Fellow scholar Richard Dawkins disagrees.

But I don't follow him too much. I think people make out too much out of Evolution, and just miss out on the whole picture.

Quote Originally Posted by kNIOKAS
    Fellow scholar Richard Dawkins disagrees.

But I don't follow him too much. I think people make out too much out of Evolution, and just miss out on the whole picture.

oooooh, go on

National High School Star dr.hee's Avatar

In my opinion both scenarios aren't likely at all. Why are you only giving us options that presuppose the existence of a "source of creation" with
    a) personal intentions concerning humans
    b) intelligence that'll be given to people after they die?

Why didn't you include a scenario like
    3. Neither?

Evolution is simply part of the picture. I don't think Dawkins would say that purpose and evolution can't exist together, but certainly he would say purpose in the contexts of religion couldn't. Any teaching that doesn't accept change is only so relevant. What I am proposing are merely concepts... but concepts which build off science.

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

I know I will get the eye balls rolling by talking about NDEers in here but there have been several that say the human race (and almost all other intelligent life out there) will eventually evolve to figure out what the "other side" is and even be able to travel back and forth.

Humans WILL eventually figure out how to conquer death and aging process and this creates situations where ritual suicide is the the way most are forced to go and we do so when we choose to, when we fill like the entire purpose of our life has been fulfilled. But we go knowing exactly where it is we are headed.

Quote Originally Posted by dr.hee
    In my opinion both scenarios aren't likely at all. Why are you only giving us options that presuppose the existence of a "source of creation" with
    a) personal intentions concerning humans
    b) intelligence that'll be given to people after they die?

Why didn't you include a scenario like
    3. Neither?
    Well I figured if people disagreed they would just say so. I am not saying you have to agree with them, just which one is more likely between the two. Feel free to express your feelings on the subject if you have any.

National High School Star dr.hee's Avatar

Well I figured if people disagreed they would just say so. I am not saying you have to agree with them, just which one is more likely between the two. Feel free to express your feelings on the subject if you have any.
    Will respond tomorrow, have to study now. But that kind of stuff is always interesting, even if we're only speculating

Quote Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
    I know I will get the eye balls rolling by talking about NDEers in here but there have been several that say the human race (and almost all other intelligent life out there) will eventually evolve to figure out what the "other side" is and even be able to travel back and forth.

Humans WILL eventually figure out how to conquer death and aging process and this creates situations where ritual suicide is the the way most are forced to go and we do so when we choose to, when we fill like the entire purpose of our life has been fulfilled. But we go knowing exactly where it is we are headed.
    Very interesting... It's like a combination of both options. That would seemingly be a terrible scenario for humans in their current form, but that would be so far down the road the wisdom we would have would make things quite interesting. How much human would even be left at that point?

Quote Originally Posted by dr.hee
    Will respond tomorrow, have to study now. But that kind of stuff is always interesting, even if we're only speculating
    Agreed!

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

Very interesting... It's like a combination of both options. That would seemingly be a terrible scenario for humans in their current form, but that would be so far down the road the wisdom we would have would make things quite interesting. How much human would even be left at that point?
    lots

I have read dozens of stories from NDEers who claim the best representation of life on Earth in the distant future are Sci Fi books and movies...

we will conquer death, we will conquer space travel, and we will know the details of the "other side" and have a scientific understanding of our consciousness/soul/spirit/etc

Quote Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
    lots

I have read dozens of stories from NDEers who claim the best representation of life on Earth in the distant future are Sci Fi books and movies...

we will conquer death, we will conquer space travel, and we will know the details of the "other side" and have a scientific understanding of our consciousness/soul/spirit/etc
    Yea but how many people would have seen this say 300 years ago when Science Fiction was nothing? Or do you think it's the same just minus the sci fi aspects because at that time nobody knew about those possibilities.

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

Evolution is simply part of the picture. I don't think Dawkins would say that purpose and evolution can't exist together, but certainly he would say purpose in the contexts of religion couldn't. Any teaching that doesn't accept change is only so relevant. What I am proposing are merely concepts... but concepts which build off science.
    Evolution is an unguided process though. There is no will or end result. Any animal alive today is as evolved as we are. It is all about survival not about reaching some higher point of physical or mental ability.