Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: What are the benefits to drinking alcohol/beer?

I always feel surprisingly reflective and can just sit their and think for hours, in amongst the other occasions when im social as hell. I only drink once every 2-3 weeks and personally enjoy that over drinking daily/several times weekly.

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid

Bro wine is deceivingly high in alcohol. It's generally about 17%-20%. 3 glasses can be the equivalent of 6 shooters. How much did you drink exactly?

17%-20% is normal for a fortified wine like Port of Sherry. Regular wines are usually around 10%-14%.

Lightbulb Re: What are the benefits to drinking alcohol/beer?

I like to drink till I'm almost to the point of blacking out... Like a brown out. In at my peak game and humor at the point and not drunk to do anything to stupid. This past semester I went pretty crazy with alcohol though. To the point where I can black out and people can't tell im that drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by senelcoolidge
    alcohol/beer has no benefits. just a plain fact, but people like it because it numbs the mind. for some reason people don't like having full control of their faculties. I don't understand it.
    It doesn't simply 'numb the mind'; It can also enhance the moment.

Drinking insensibly to the point of black-out is idiotic, but a few drinks and some conversation with interesting friends is an invaluable experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Dresta
    It doesn't simply 'numb the mind'; It can also enhance the moment.

Drinking insensibly to the point of black-out is idiotic, but a few drinks and some conversation with interesting friends is an invaluable experience.
    Yeah, alcohol becomes a healthy part of a lot of peoples' social lives once everyone exits the "drink til I blackout" college phase. As long as it isn't abuse, I think drinking is very beneficial mentally (stress reduction, personal enjoyment, etc).

Bro wine is deceivingly high in alcohol. It's generally about 17%-20%. 3 glasses can be the equivalent of 6 shooters. How much did you drink exactly?
    3-4 glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    Yeah, alcohol becomes a healthy part of a lot of peoples' social lives once everyone exits the "drink til I blackout" college phase. As long as it isn't abuse, I think drinking is very beneficial mentally (stress reduction, personal enjoyment, etc).
    Safe to say you drank a lot during FF season

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

It's not really healthy though overall socially. For the stress and anxiety reduction it gives you in the moment it takes away from you later. It reduces serotonin levels and basically make you more antisocial overall when you aren't drinking. It also instills in your mind that you need a few drinks just to be able to loosen up and relax, which anyone can do sober. Even at a "few drinks" it becomes a social crutch.

Overall a few drinks every once and a while isn't that bad for you, but it isn't really "healthy" either. A single glass of red wine might be healthy, or maybe one beer for runners (think I read that somewhere lol) but that's about it.

get a bitch laid

Yeah I completely agree. Once people reach a certain maturity level only people with underlying mental issues abuse it and aren't able to handle it responsibly. In a lot of European countries it's entirely normal to drink a very moderate amount of alcohol everyday and the people who do use it in moderation are only healthier for it, both physically and mentally.

No, it's not. It's usually around 12-14%, and 14% is already a strong ass wine.

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    17%-20% is normal for a fortified wine like Port of Sherry. Regular wines are usually around 10%-14%.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    Yeah I completely agree. Once people reach a certain maturity level only people with underlying mental issues abuse it and aren't able to handle it responsibly. In a lot of European countries it's entirely normal to drink a very moderate amount of alcohol everyday and the people who do use it in moderation are only healthier for it, both physically and mentally.
    It is exactly this. People have too simplistic an understanding of addiction nowadays; any kind of self-destructive addiction is fueled by psychological problems that precede the addiction. This is why you get people who drink every day and yet it has little effect on the everyday circumstances of their lives other than making it more enjoyable (often crudely termed 'functioning alcoholics'). It is why sobriety frequently doesn't solve any of their problems and the tendency for relapse is so high: without addressing the fundamental issues underlying the addiction, the person will not fix their lives simply by abstaining.

You see this at NA meetings, where all the people i have heard have some miserable story from their lives that predates their addictions. Take the example of Scott Fitzgerald, a man who drank himself to death, and who many view as having his life destroyed by alcohol; yet you only need to read his novels, and see the empty despair that permeates them, to realise that there was something else the matter with him other than simply having an alcohol problem.

Quote Originally Posted by senelcoolidge
    alcohol/beer has no benefits. just a plain fact, but people like it because it numbs the mind. for some reason people don't like having full control of their faculties. I don't understand it.
    You speaking on facts or actual science? You seem to speak your opinion and pawn them off as facts

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    3-4 glasses.
    Damn, how big were those glasses? My wife can pound a bottle with little effect the next day