Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Kblazes long boring post on offense.

I don't think that list should be about rankings. If it were someone like Ginobili would be way up there among offensive players. I'd say he has everything except "leadership" (he's not poor in this category just not remarkable), offensive rebounding, and post play. But he's not the greatest or near the greatest at any one thing.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Doc, Wade, and Manu do have some #15. Doc especially. A lot of his highlights just shouldnt be. The one in question....yea...that wasnt supposed to happen.

And Josh McRoberts is quietly...somehow without anyone seeming to notice....amazing.

Not as in....hes a great player. But he just shouldnt be doing some of the shit he does as a bigman. Ive watched him and thought he was a guard before I got a good look.

Now that you mention it...you are right. You could give Manu like 14 things between both lists. No less than 10 on offense. Maybe 12.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Now that you mention it...you are right. You could give Manu like 14 things between both lists. No less than 10 on offense. Maybe 12.
    Yea. I like this, because it shows that certain players that are far less well rounded...can be far better than well rounded players.

It's a good way to understand how a player can be great in a limited number of areas and be a great player in terms of impact.

And I'm not really talking about Dirk...as I think he has like 9 or 10 of the offensive stuff. And a few things on defense as well.

10. Craftiness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-42c470-MjM

^
    Dennis Johnson and Larry Bird did that at least one other time I remember...and we didnt see as many games back then. They probably did it all the time. Cant always make the physical plays. Gotta out think the opponent too.

Which reminds me....Michael Jordan in his youth had a tactic for blocking slower guards. He would take a bad angle on a pass....or...just pretend to get beaten...only to swoop in and block the open shot from behind. It worked all the time. DJ was getting old. So MJ tried it. DJ blows by like he just saw a chance to score. MJ closes from behind in the blink of an eye. DJ pump fakes...MJ flys by while DJ gives him the :

face.

He knocks down the jumper with MJ safely out of the picture and goes by the Bulls bench and said something to Doug Collins that the commentators said was "Who is this kid?"

Being the smartest guy on the court helps just as much as being the fastest.
    This reminds me of Andre Miller and his fake timeouts. Set up like a timeout to lull the defense to sleep and then kick it into another gear and blow by your man to finish an easy layup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xPESNueqpU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMDunIUhT1k

Yea. I like this, because it shows that certain players that are far less well rounded...can be far better than well rounded players.

It's a good way to understand how a player can be great in a limited number of areas and be a great player in terms of impact.

And I'm not really talking about Dirk...as I think he has like 9 or 10 of the offensive stuff. And a few things on defense as well.
    If you have enough of those key to your position you dont need those key to others. So its case by case. It also goes into the difference between being the best and the greatest as well. A distinction that will never be fully made.

And Sam Cassell did the fake timeout thing once or twice I believe.

Andre has to be crafty. He doesnt have much else.

College star

Amazing post KBlaze

Trying t othink of a starter who has none of them.

Even Kwame has several on defense.

A prize to be determined later for anyone who can name an NBA starter without a single one of these qualities....ill even exclude FT shooting.

Does anyone have a 1?

Very good NBA starter

Which is why he doesnt need to look down to know where the 3 point line is and how much room he has:

Not to be nit picky, and it doesn't refute the notion of players knowing where they are on the court (which is true for sure, a good quality for all players)... but it I'm pretty sure Allen did glance down to his left immediately before the shot to see where he was in relation to the three point line (I'm basing this off youtube vid I just watched, not the gif, although it's noticeable in both).

ISH's 1st Embiid Stan AboutBuckets's Avatar

Trying t othink of a starter who has none of them.

Even Kwame has several on defense.

A prize to be determined later for anyone who can name an NBA starter without a single one of these qualities....ill even exclude FT shooting.

Does anyone have a 1?
    Just curious as to what aspect you'd give Perkins

Quote Originally Posted by AboutBuckets
    I'd give him effort plays for sure.

Scrolling down Penny .gif caught my eye.

Then I scrolled up a bit and saw Kenny Anderson f*ck the game up.

I need to back out of thread and try again later. I'm flabbergasted right now.

Local High School Star

Can't think of a proper starter for this season but a recent past spot starter Stephen Graham (on that awful Nets team). Hypothetically the Graham's athleticism could get them to the basket but (a) they would as likely as not get called for charging or else miss at the rim and (b) by the end I think the athleticism went and they weren't even creating shots.

Both had horrible BB-IQs and, despite apparent athleticism, were lacking in lateral mobility. So I don't think there's much there for them on the defensive end either there either.

Off the top of my head they might get 1/2 for shot creation (though not for Stephen in the year he racked up those starts).

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by AboutBuckets
    Screen setting.

10. Craftiness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-42c470-MjM

^
    Dennis Johnson and Larry Bird did that at least one other time I remember...and we didnt see as many games back then. They probably did it all the time. Cant always make the physical plays. Gotta out think the opponent too.
    Bird basically talked Dennis Johnson into the Hall of Fame saying he was the best player he ever played with. Other players definitely had better stats, but I think what Bird meant was Johnson had the best feel for the game. They could be on the same page as to what the play was without even talking. They used to run a play all the time, where Bird would run through the lane like he was going to set up on opposite box. Instead Johnson would rifle a pass right in the middle of the lane and Bird would grab it midstride and shoot it before the defender even knew what was going on.