Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Question: Have the lakers ever scouted/drafted a player of their own?

First off, the OP must be among the dumbest basketball "fans" ever. Dude probably thinks Magic Johnson is the Orlando Magic's former mascot.

Quote Originally Posted by SavageMode
    Still drafted by Hornets, get over Kobe d1ckslobbers. Lebron 13-6 vs Kobe. You Mad.
    Secondly, look at this clown. WTF is this shit?
    "Oh, shit! Everybody is realizing how stupid I am! I think if I mock Kobe and mention LeBron, it'll divert the attention away from how retarded I am!"

Default Re: Question: Have the lakers ever scouted/drafted a player of their own?

Eddie Jones and Nick Van Exel. And the immortal Devean George.

Quote Originally Posted by kurple
    i'm sure every team somewhat scouted kobe before the draft

lakers still didnt draft him
    please explain the distinction here. The saw a prospect, scouted him and made him a part of there team before ever touching an NBA court. So because they didnt make the trade a few days before, it is some big difference?

Quote Originally Posted by kurple
    i'm just messing with vintage. but care to elaborate?

I would be SHOCKED if the Lakers were the only team that sent scouts to watch Kobe play or how he preformed at the combine.

this is before my time, so i might be wrong. and english isnt my 1st language, so i can always use that as my excuse
    The Clippers scouted Kobe but didn't want him because in their minds they wouldn't be taken seriously if they drafted a high school player.

Decent college freshman

Saying the Lakers didn't draft Kobe is moronic. Its simply a technicality in NBA rules, as you can't trade the pick before hand. The Lakers decided who would be chosen with that pick and he played every second of his career with them. The Hornets don't draft him without the trade.

shhhhhhh

Elgin Baylor
    Jerry West
    Gail Goodrich
    Norm Nixon

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by I<3NBA
    Kobe was drafted by the Hornets and then traded. idk how hard that can be to understand.
    Drafted for the Lakers dipshit by the Hornets. Lakers still drafted him, Hornets had zero input into who they were drafting. Anyone arguing against this is just trying to derail the thread *cough* d!pshitmode

Quote Originally Posted by Brokenbeat
    Really? Agenda thread backfire, and you run away screaming "I'll be back next time!!" like a cartoon villain, lol.
    He's like the monkey from powerpuff girls except he's a lot dumber.

Local High School Star 3LiftHeatCurse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VIntageNOvel

they already got pre agreement SMH
    Except, Kobe was going to be drafted by other teams, in particular the Nets, who picked ahead of the Hornets and the Lakers. Calipari was going to take him.

Kobe threatened to go to Italy if any team but the Lakers drafted him. He got his agent to go to the media, saying it was an impossibility for Kobe to play anywhere but in LA. Kobe was refusing to play for anyone but the Lakers. Then, Jerry West got on the phone with the Nets and tried to talk them out of it. Due to all of this bullying and blackmailing by Kobe and the Lakers, the Lakers made a pre-agreement trade with the Hornets for their pick. So, the Lakers/Kobe still traded/blackmailed their way to each other.

So, no, Kobe isn't a legit homegrown scout and pick by the Lakers. Way too much shadyness happened.

I would say Jerry West, Elgin Baylor, James Worthy, and Magic Johnson. Even though Magic threatened to go back to college if the Bulls drafted him, he got lucky that the Lakers won the toss.

The Lakers are the Miami Heat, before the Miami Heat existed. Shaq, Kobe, Kareem, Wilt, McAdoo, Gasol, etc... all hired/traded/whatever for.
    Last edited by 3LiftHeatCurse; 12-21-2013 at 03:14 PM.

Local High School Star wakencdukest's Avatar

The Lakers have had 2 lottery picks in the past 30 years, Eddie Jones and Bynum. The rest of them have been at the end of the first round basically. What are they supposed to do with that? The front office have been pretty good about going out and getting players if you think about it.

The Hornets drafted Kobe on behalf of the Lakers.. why is that so hard to understand. They scouted him and wanted to ensure they got him, so they traded up for him

College superstar The Iron Fist's Avatar

This.

My great uncles nephews step grandfather scouted Kobe before the draft.

Kobe still and forever drafted by the Hornets.

Who ordered them to draft Kobe?

College superstar The Iron Fist's Avatar

This. Next.
    Peter Vecsey

HOOP DU JOUR

Second of two parts.

Friday, when Kobe Bryant led the Lakers into Madison Square Garden, we looked back at the 1996 NBA Draft, and how so many teams could have been so wary/wrong about someone so gifted.

Today, Kobe discloses other draft dodgers and dissers.

John Nash

I am your soldier!

Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Fist
    The Hornets were not drafting Kobe if it were not for the trade. The Lakers basically drafted him.
    Except that the Hornets drafted him. It doesn't matter why. I don't know why you all think it's a big deal and have to fight about it.

Cali Love

Magic, Worthy, the Logo, Elgin Baylor, Nick van Exel, Bynum, Divac, Kobe

all became good to great players