Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Local High School Star Goldrush25's Avatar

Default Re: This is just getting ridiculous come on now...

Quote Originally Posted by andremiller07
    Some people are built for it some ain't that's all it is
    Yep.

weak/injury prone era

To shorten the schedule not only would hurt the owners' bottom line, but a big part of the game is players going for records, which would be severely compromised in a shorter season.

Decent college freshman Mr. Incredible's Avatar

It will never happen.

It would be a better product and healthier for the athletes if the schedule was reduced to something like 50 games over the same time period. 82 is ridiculous and probably stems for an era where that's the only way teams could stay afloat. Now there's plenty of money, but of course neither the players nor the owners want to take a pay cut, and fans would only tolerate so much raise in the ticket prices.

But consider that one way to make a product more appealing is to limit it's access. And each game would mean more.

As for records, get real. Nobody's surpassing most of Wilt's records. The only records people are breaking are the career ones, or ones that Wilt couldn't have set, like three pointers (not that he would have set that).

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mlh1981
    To shorten the schedule not only would hurt the owners' bottom line, but a big part of the game is players going for records, which would be severely compromised in a shorter season.
    Is this a common feeling? Always thought that of the MLB, but never the NBA.

Other than 72 wins, 100 points, and a few others, I don't even notice most records. I bet if you asked 100 random people who claim to watch basketball on who leads the NBA all time in points, most would say Jordan. And in league which values points and offense so much, I presume that's a prestigious record up there with the most prestigious of them.
    Last edited by JimmyMcAdocious; 12-21-2013 at 07:52 PM.

58 games is a good number. play all the teams twice. no conference as players would get plenty of rest if they have to travel a longer distance. top 16 teams make the playoffs.
    i don't care about the records too much anyways. this would improve the game according to me. there are too many games anyways. keep 1 big game every 2-3 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose'sACL
    58 games is a good number. play all the teams twice. no conference as players would get plenty of rest if they have to travel a longer distance. top 16 teams make the playoffs.
    i don't care about the records too much anyways. this would improve the game according to me. there are too many games anyways. keep 1 big game every 2-3 days.
    Excellent idea. As for records, they're kind of dependant on the era, rules, style of play, etc. Start a new set of records for the modern era.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Masters
    You believe the human body was created to withstand the kind of running, jumping, and cutting involved in a sport like this?
    It CERTAINLY wasn't evolved to withstand that kind of activity while supporting the kind of weight of these modern athletes. During human evolution, people weren't lifting weights and purposely packing on as much muscle ass possible.

It's very unnatural to be tall and muscular. Throughout human history, it's always been short and stocky or tall and slim. Tall and stocky is not a natural human state.

because the long season is the cause of these injuries, right? (not that you haven't realized yet we've just started the season and already these injuries happening must be because players have played 82 games...)

why didn't injuries happen more often back in the day? they had the same number of games.

i believe it has something to do with people's diet nowadays. eating too much junk.

football has an even longer season. almost no time off for clubs that go into the UEFA champions league. and they play 2 halves of 45 minutes straight, no timeouts.

I think the regular season should be 80 games. Only because it is a rounder number. 82 is a weird number.

Ok add 3 more people to the list today out indefinately. Pat beverly, greg smith, and of course lopez. Shows my point just TODAY. Whos tomorrow?

Local High School Star Goldrush25's Avatar

Survival of the fittest.

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by Marv_Albert
    Ok add 3 more people to the list today out indefinately. Pat beverly, greg smith, and of course lopez. Shows my point just TODAY. Whos tomorrow?

Your point would probably be better if it was closer to the end of the season and not 25 games in... Unless your point was they should play a 20 game season

The beauty of the longer season is it gives teams a chance to bounce back if a key player goes down for a few weeks.. the seasons not totally lost

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rose'sACL
    This, everyone plays each team twice. Then we can stop getting 9949584938 bitchy threads about West>>East every day.