Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Which music artist has the greatest hits of All-Time?

I am a Beatles fan but there is something bland about their vocals sometimes. I mean just superlative instrumentation and writing but the blokes from across the pond don't have the soul/gnads/heart [idk it's hard to nitpick one of the best bands of all-time] to rock a party and I need that from a catalogue.

The Magical T-Mac HardwoodLegend's Avatar

Prince
    Katy Perry

Quote Originally Posted by Loneshot
    damn, cats sleep on Bill Withers like no tomorrow.
    aint that the truth.

Local High School Star wakencdukest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bless Mathews
    Michael Jackson easy. Not even close. Anybody would know his top 5. 35% of population wouldn't even know one beetles song. No niggah in the hood could name that song. Any one. And i mean anyone from the burbs to the hood name mike.

The brothers ain't known to be very diverse in their musical tastes, so it will probably be michael jackson up in the hood. And the farther it gets from the 60's, the less white people will recognize the Beatles. So, you're right, it's Probably Michael Jackson.

Love Live Life

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    Who has the most well known hits? For example, take an artist 5 best known songs, who would the average Joe have heard the most?

James Brown?
    Elvis Presley?
    Queen?
    Chuck Berry?
    Diana Ross and the Supremes?
    Michael Jackson?
    The Beatles?
    Otis Redding?
    Elton John?
    Madonna?

These are listed are just examples.
    MJ, JB, Beatles, Diana, Madonna

Didn't Elvis steal Chuck Berry's whole style?

Serious playground baller

Like one said...Bill Withers is heavily slept on. His hits include "Ain't No Sunshine", "Lean on Me", "Use Me" (that bass line is fire), "Who Is He (and What Is He to You)", "Lovely Day", Grandma's Hands, and also Aretha Franklin not only covered his song "Let Me In Your Life", she named one of her albums of the same name. Plus, Michael Jackson when he was younger covered "Ain't No Sunshine". Bill Withers is an R&B legend. He may not be as well known as the artists aforementioned, but he is still a legend.

P.S. Go out and get Still Bill his 1972 album right away. It's a bonafide classic!!!

High School Varsity 6th Man

Going strong since the 1600s.

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wakencdukest
    The brothers ain't known to be very diverse in their musical tastes, so it will probably be michael jackson up in the hood. And the farther it gets from the 60's, the less white people will recognize the Beatles. So, you're right, it's Probably Michael Jackson.
    That does seem to be a theme on here. Most white guys will give props to black artists but black guys just rattle off lists of black artists like they've never even attempted to listen to white artists. Not saying that is how it is, just seems like that on here sometimes.

Personally I'd go with MJ or Queen. I've never been sold on The Beatles. Some good songs but I could take them or leave them.

Quote Originally Posted by TheReal Kendall
    You've never heard either artist have you?

Elvis was hugely influenced by black music, but he already had his style by the time most of the black giants of Rock and Roll had been in a studio. Elvis had his first hit before Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Bo Diddley ever recorded a single. Before before Ray Charles recorded "I got a woman." Sam Cooke was still sing gospel music. The only 50's big rock artist I can think of who was big before Elvis hit was Fats Domino. Ike Turner had a giant hit in 1950, but his name wasn't on the record.

Elvis did cover Chuck Berry in concert, but he didn't record a Chuck Berry song until 1963.

Elvis first record was rocked up covers of 1946 blues hit by this guy

and a 1939 bluegrass hit by the guy on the mandolin, Bill Monroe.

That single came out in July 1954. In July 1955 Chuck Berry's first single came out. It was a rocked up version with new lyrics of a 1938 hillbilly hit by these guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFef08YZ6qk

This American music cross pollination stuff went both ways.
    Last edited by KevinNYC; 12-23-2013 at 10:43 PM.

The Beach Boys and The Beatles were much more directly influenced by Chuck Berry than Elvis was.

Quote Originally Posted by TheReal Kendall
    You've never heard either artist have you?

Elvis was hugely influenced by black music, but he already had his style by the time most of the black giants of Rock and Roll had been in a studio. Elvis had his first hit before Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Bo Diddley ever recorded a single. Before Ray Charles recorded "I got a woman." Sam Cooke was still sing gospel music. The only 50's big rock artist I can think of who was big before Elvis hit was Fats Domino. Ike Turner had a giant hit in 1950, but his name wasn't on the record.

Elvis did cover Chuck Berry in concert, but he didn't record a Chuck Berry song until 1963.

Elvis first record was rocked up covers of 1946 blues hit by this guy

and a 1939 bluegrass hit by the guy on the mandolin, Bill Monroe.

That single came out in July 1954 on a small label and was a local hit. The first DJ who got his hands on the single played 14 times straight because the audience went nuts. This was a year before Elvis had ever heard of Chuck Berry. In July 1955 Chuck Berry's first single came out. It was a rocked up version with new lyrics of a 1938 hillbilly hit by these guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFef08YZ6qk

This American music cross pollination stuff went both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Loneshot
    damn, cats sleep on Bill Withers like no tomorrow.
    I fairly knowledgeable about music, and I can't name 5 Bill Withers songs. Most folks who do know his songs don't know who sings them.

Pretending he's more popular than Elvis, The Beatles, Michael Jackson or The Supremes is just silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dnn111
    Like one said...Bill Withers is heavily slept on. His hits include "Ain't No Sunshine", "Lean on Me", "Use Me" (that bass line is fire), "Who Is He (and What Is He to You)", "Lovely Day", Grandma's Hands, and also Aretha Franklin not only covered his song "Let Me In Your Life", she named one of her albums of the same name. Plus, Michael Jackson when he was younger covered "Ain't No Sunshine". Bill Withers is an R&B legend. He may not be as well known as the artists aforementioned, but he is still a legend.

P.S. Go out and get Still Bill his 1972 album right away. It's a bonafide classic!!!
    *forgot "Just the Two of Us"

britney spears has alot of hits...atleast 4 hits on each album and shes had like 8 albums.

exercise profits littl MadeFromDust's Avatar

Lionel Ritchie