Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Serious playground baller

Default Re: Grant Hill or Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by poido123
    Hill was near on lebron's level now. I'm not kidding.

This thread should be Grant Hill v Lebron James as they were much more similar players.

Hill didn't have Shaq to distract opposing defenses like Penny did. Hill was a better player

You're wrong again about a player comparison, just like you were with Bosh v Rodman
    Yeah, he was, but there's still a difference.
    Hill was amazing, but he wasn't the defender Lebron is and he didn't have a three-point shot.
    These are two important issues.

Penny Hardaway wasn't a point-forward like them two, but a pure point guard who could play 2 and 3 due to his size.

Quote Originally Posted by fandarko
    Yeah, he was, but there's still a difference.
    Hill was amazing, but he wasn't the defender Lebron is and he didn't have a three-point shot.
    These are two important issues.

Penny Hardaway wasn't a point-forward like them two, but a pure point guard who could play 2 and 3 due to his size.
    I can go with that. Lebron is a better defender but not by lightyears...

I would say Hill was far more dynamic offensively than Lebron

College superstar AintNoSunshine's Avatar

I can go with that. Lebron is a better defender but not by lightyears...

I would say Hill was far more dynamic offensively than Lebron
    Aren't you leaving the forum? You don't want everyone to remember you as a moron do you?

Learning to shoot layups

LeBron had the better man-to-man and help defender than Hill by a good margin. Another thing is when Hill had to be "the man" more and score upwards of 25ppg, his rebounding/assist stats fell some (still very nice). I don't think Hill could average 30 over a season. LeBron has already done that - twice.

Quote Originally Posted by AintNoSunshine
    Aren't you leaving the forum? You don't want everyone to remember you as a moron do you?
    There's a retirement thread in the main forum. Instead of asking me something that has already been clarified, why not go read it? Pretty sure I said I'm staying here because I realise how many Heat fans hated me, and how much better that made me feel so I decided to stay

Quote Originally Posted by New World Order
    LeBron had the better man-to-man and help defender than Hill by a good margin. Another thing is when Hill had to be "the man" more and score upwards of 25ppg, his rebounding/assist stats fell some (still very nice). I don't think Hill could average 30 over a season. LeBron has already done that - twice.
    I can go with you on the defense point. But you think Hill was not capable to average over 30? I posted some vids up on an earlier page, see how more dynamic and explosive Hill was than Lebron on offense. I can see Hill averaging 30.

Hill was a GREAT player but the "he was on Lebron's level" stuff is just non-sense. That is not a disrespect to Hill at all but simply an acknowledgment of the fact that only 6-8 players have ever been at or around Lebron's level at their peak in NBA history.

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    Hill was a GREAT player but the "he was on Lebron's level" stuff is just non-sense. That is not a disrespect to Hill at all but simply an acknowledgment of the fact that only 6-8 players have ever been at or around Lebron's level at their peak in NBA history.
    Hill might of been there, had his career not been derailed by injury. So yes, quite easily he could of been in the 6-8 discussion, many were calling him the next Jordan back then.

Show me where Lebron is better than Hill offensively. Hill is far more dynamic and creative offensively. Better finisher, better body control(no crab steps), better shooter and more explosive.

Defensively, Lebron is more versatile and better man defender.

Learning to shoot layups

I can go with you on the defense point. But you think Hill was not capable to average over 30? I posted some vids up on an earlier page, see how more dynamic and explosive Hill was than Lebron on offense. I can see Hill averaging 30.
    Hill only came "close" if you average his 1999-00 season of 25.8ppg and even then, it's not really close (if he was at 28-29 or whatever, fine, we can round up). Grant was basically a low 20ppg scorer with quasi-triple-double averages. At his statistical best, Hill was not a huge scorer and more like an ultimate all-around guy. Not having a good 3-point shot hurt Hill because his quickness was legendary. He worked on his mid-range game to gain more respect. Everybody feared his crossovers and quick first step. If Hill had a good 3-point shot, people would have had to check him even further back and open things up for his drive and passing. Sadly, he never really had that. I don't view Hill as being more "explosive" than LBJ. Hill scored less at his peak and on lower percentages to boot.

Hill might of been there, had his career not been derailed by injury. So yes, quite easily he could of been in the 6-8 discussion, many were calling him the next Jordan back then.

Show me where Lebron is better than Hill offensively. Hill is far more dynamic and creative offensively. Better finisher, better body control(no crab steps), better shooter and more explosive.

Defensively, Lebron is more versatile and better man defender.
    this is just getting silly. Everyone knows I'm not the biggest Lebron fan but he was head and shoulders better than Grant ever was.

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    this is just getting silly. Everyone knows I'm not the biggest Lebron fan but he was head and shoulders better than Grant ever was.
    That's cool.

And I'll be in the minority on this opinion...

Head and shoulders no. That is incorrect. It's close when comparing Hill's peak.

Quote Originally Posted by New World Order
    Hill only came "close" if you average his 1999-00 season of 25.8ppg and even then, it's not really close (if he was at 28-29 or whatever, fine, we can round up). Grant was basically a low 20ppg scorer with quasi-triple-double averages. At his statistical best, Hill was not a huge scorer and more like an ultimate all-around guy. Not having a good 3-point shot hurt Hill because his quickness was legendary. He worked on his mid-range game to gain more respect. Everybody feared his crossovers and quick first step. If Hill had a good 3-point shot, people would have had to check him even further back and open things up for his drive and passing. Sadly, he never really had that. I don't view Hill as being more "explosive" than LBJ. Hill scored less at his peak and on lower percentages to boot.
    Had Hill really even reached his statistical peak? With better supporting cast like Lebron has, is it far fetched to think he could replicate the same stats?

Hill had more variety and was more dynamic, explosive(was also lighter which helped) on offense. Not saying Lebron couldn't score more(largely due to being big and fast, not footwork and fundamentals), just Hill had more ways to beat you and more ways to score.

Decent college freshman Mass Debator's Avatar

Grant Hill pretty easily as far as right now goes, but I don't think PG can reach Hill's level in an offense stand point. Grant Hill was such a capable ball handler it was terrifying to the opposition. I'll go as far as he was clearly a less athletic version of Lebron but more skilled with his footwork and ball handling acumen. Quicker than Bron but wasn't nearly as strong and as fast. By the way he shoots free throws, you can tell he clearly has put in work with great coaches and was disciplined at an early age. Very high IQ player. The only slight knock on him was his iffy jump shot from deeper range, but he's shown that he was a capable three point shooter during his run with the Suns.

And his comparison to Lebron? He wasn't as special when it came to being a physical specimen, but I feel like he was more determined. Lebron just outclasses him and everyone at his position in strength and overall size which makes him even harder to guard. I like to watch Hill more though.

And regarding Penny? Let me say that Grant Hill and Penny Hardaway are essentially Lebron and D-Wade in a smaller/slimmer frame. Hill and Penny just relied more on skills and were more polished. Hill would've benefited too from having Shaq and IMO is slightly greater than Penny overall. At the end of the day though, Lebron and Wade > Hill and Penny for the fact that they are more athletic. I can't stress enough how I think Penny and Wade resemble each other. The way they spin off the dribble to their step back and acrobatic layups...the way they utilize big men and even posterize the other team's big men...All 4 are great to watch.
    Last edited by Mass Debator; 12-23-2013 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mass Debator
    Grant Hill pretty easily as far as right now goes, but I don't think PG can reach Hill's level in an offense stand point. Grant Hill was such a capable ball handler it was terrifying to the opposition. I'll go as far as he was clearly a less athletic version of Lebron but more skilled with his footwork and ball handling acumen. Quicker than Bron but wasn't nearly as strong and as fast. By the way he shoots free throws, you can tell he clearly has put in work with great coaches and was disciplined at an early age. Very high IQ player. The only slight knock on him was his iffy jump shot from deeper range, but he's shown that he was a capable three point shooter during his run with the Suns.

And his comparison to Lebron? He wasn't as special when it came to being a physical specimen, but I feel like he was more determined. Lebron just outclasses him and everyone at his position in strength and overall size which makes him even harder to guard. I like to watch Hill more though.

And regarding Penny? Let me say that Grant Hill and Penny Hardaway are essentially Lebron and D-Wade in a smaller/slimmer frame. Hill and Penny just relied more on skills and were more polished. Hill would've benefited too from having Shaq and IMO is slightly greater than Penny overall. At the end of the day though, Lebron and Wade > Hill and Penny for the fact that they are more athletic. I can't stress enough how I think Penny and Wade resemble each other. The way they spin off the dribble to their step back and acrobatic layups...the way they utilize big men and even posterize the other team's big men...All 4 are great to watch.

Great post

Banned

Grant Hill was like Lebron who relied on skill to score instead of strength, traveling and gifted freethrows like Lebron does.