Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Believe it or not, Dirk Nowitzki plays good D

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    They do say that he is guarding the lesser of the big positions which is kind of like a disclaimer. The guy who guards the better of the bigs isn't getting the attention and I think that's unethical. Since when does the healthy guy operating out of the handicap get credit, and the real muscle gets ignored?

Its like an artist who can't draw but is given co-artist that makes his work great and then acting like the co-artist doesn't exist, while saying this genius work is that of Dirk's.

Its incredibly misleading because his era had the two best defensive Power Forwards ever and Dirk is getting credit despite never guarding superstar PF like other good/decent defenders do. And guys who are obviously better like Ibaka aren't getting their just due.
    Ignoring all the other stupidity in this, Duncan hasnt guarded a star big man in nearly a decade until late in games. He's obviously a much better defender than dirk, but the days of Duncan guarding star bigs went away a long time ago.

And kg hasn't had to carry a superstars offensive load since he went to Boston. Again still clearly a much better defender than dirk(and one of the few guys who is legitimately fun to watch play defense) but they are all very different players in very different roles.

How does my Dirk taste creepingdeath's Avatar

Dirk is getting credit despite never guarding superstar PF like other good/decent defenders do.
    In the postseason, most recently Aldridge & Gasol.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

No surprise...Dirk started to become a good defender around the 04 season and has improved throughout his career.

He does have some athletic limitations in terms of being able to elevate and contest shots and also hedge and recover on high pick and rolls...so to act like he can do that is just false...

Dirk is a smart team defender and actually a pretty damn solid man to man defender at his position. It's the quick guards and smaller players that he has trouble with like I mentioned above when he has to help.

People just stick with the narrative no matter what. It's what I've learned the most on here since joining. Nobody can admit they were wrong. All the numbers back up Dirk being an above average defender....not to mention his excellent defensive rebounding (especially in the playoffs)

We heard his plus/minus and defensive numbers were all about Chandler. So what is the excuse now? That he has Dalembert/Blair anchoring the paint? With Calderon and Ellis locking down the perimeter? ROFL...

Def RAPM(2011)
    Dirk - +3
    Chandler - +2.7
    Lebron - +2.4

you can't stop me get these NETS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    No surprise...Dirk started to become a good defender around the 04 season and has improved throughout his career.

He does have some athletic limitations in terms of being able to elevate and contest shots and also hedge and recover on high pick and rolls...so to act like he can do that is just false...

Dirk is a smart team defender and actually a pretty damn solid man to man defender at his position. It's the quick guards and smaller players that he has trouble with like I mentioned above when he has to help.

People just stick with the narrative no matter what. It's what I've learned the most on here since joining. Nobody can admit they were wrong. All the numbers back up Dirk being an above average defender....not to mention his excellent defensive rebounding (especially in the playoffs)

We heard his plus/minus and defensive numbers were all about Chandler. So what is the excuse now? That he has Dalembert/Blair anchoring the paint? With Calderon and Ellis locking down the perimeter? ROFL...
    nah....and I haven't forgotten the thread about Dirk and alltime pfs either

who would you say is an AVERAGE defender at the pf position since you say that Dirk is above average?

Dirk's "numbers" defensively coincide with defensive rule changes (zone)

Why is Dirk mentioning "upper body strength and blocking shots" when the talk is of defending 4s and 5s where lower body strength, footwork, length comes into play more?

Why are similarly built players better defenders than Dirk....like super athlete muscleman high jumper Kevin Mchale?

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by raiderfan19
    Ignoring all the other stupidity in this, Duncan hasnt guarded a star big man in nearly a decade until late in games. He's obviously a much better defender than dirk, but the days of Duncan guarding star bigs went away a long time ago.

And kg hasn't had to carry a superstars offensive load since he went to Boston. Again still clearly a much better defender than dirk(and one of the few guys who is legitimately fun to watch play defense) but they are all very different players in very different roles.
    Well clown what exactly are you arguing? Do you know?

Why are you comparing them when you know its profound stupidity to do so? But you went there because you know how you role. Even now, since you believe that once Dirk hit 32 his delayed defense gene kicked in, he isn't the defender they are.

You all over the place not making sense in anything you wrote. KG's offense??? Write a coherent sentence about defense first and maybe then we can change topics. If you disagree with me, just say it. But when you babble, agree with me and then call it stupid - its bad look on your part. Com'on Raderfan you are better than that.

you can't stop me get these NETS's Avatar

They do say that he is guarding the lesser of the big positions which is kind of like a disclaimer. The guy who guards the better of the bigs isn't getting the attention and I think that's unethical. Since when does the healthy guy operating out of the handicap get credit, and the real muscle gets ignored?

Its like an artist who can't draw but is given co-artist that makes his work great and then acting like the co-artist doesn't exist, while saying this genius work is that of Dirk's.

Its incredibly misleading because his era had the two best defensive Power Forwards ever and Dirk is getting credit despite never guarding superstar PF like other good/decent defenders do. And guys who are obviously better like Ibaka aren't getting their just due.

yeah...writer added that Dirk is guarding the lesser player...but that undermines his entire article

have hard time understanding why people can't allow their heroes to have flaws .....?

Magic Johnson was one of the top 6 human beings to ever play basketball, but if you call him a great defender EVEN his wife will slap you for lying!

But with a straight face....Dirk fans will say that he was an above average defender.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by creepingdeath
    In the postseason, most recently Aldridge & Gasol.
    You and Dmavs have said this but I saw a couple of those games and it was Chandler and Hayward on LMA. When I looked it up I seen articles about LMA going too far out for Chandler and penetration for Portland was kicking in. So they put Tyson on the center position where he belonged as he's much better under the rim. Then in LMA's bad fifth game it was mostly Hayward on him. There were three articles like that and their was one that talked about Dirk's success on LMA, apparently in spot duty. Are you saying Dirk guarded LMA most of the game? or in spot duty? Most of the series recaps don't mention Dirk going over fulltime to guard LMA.

Gasol, after 2010, would guard himself.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by get these NETS
    yeah...writer added that Dirk is guarding the lesser player...but that undermines his entire article

have hard time understanding why people can't allow their heroes to have flaws .....?

Magic Johnson was one of the top 6 human beings to ever play basketball, but if you call him a great defender EVEN his wife will slap you for lying!

But with a straight face....Dirk fans will say that he was an above average defender.
    Thank you, and Magic is my favorite player of all-time. Jordan is my GOAT and I think he's a social jerk. Wilt couldn't shoot Free Throws. Duncan and KG didn't dominate scoring. Nobody is flawless and its ok.

Very good NBA starter

few thoughts:

- I don't doubt Dirk has gotten better on D in the last handful of years as he's gotten bigger, stronger, and more experienced, but for much of his career he was average at best or sometimes downright soft/matador-like. Being better now doesn't negate that, really

- the league is hardly a big man's league any more and there's less HOF big men compared to the first 70% of Dirk's career. Aldridge is good but not necessarily as good as prime Webber, Gasol sucked even in the first round of 2011, etc, etc. Woulda been more impressed had Dirk done more of this his first 10 years as a pro....but whatever

- not surprising his highest Drtg came in the season Chandler was on the team while the Mavs were playing elite D (Dirk has credited Tyson for changing the defensive culture and have to think defensive stats went up all around).

- most often, he's playing with the starting lineup which is a better defensive unit relative to the bench (not unusual), and he's not covering the opponent's best (also not unusual). worth keeping in mind.

- he's a smart defender and smart player in general, which does reflect positively in the stats and isn't a farce... but he's not an physical intimidator in the paint, not a great leaper for blocks, and I've seen him float on D so often that it's hard to take advanced stats seriously.

- having said that, his reputation as a bad defender thats rightly shadowed him much of his career probably precedes him now. It happens. He has improved, gotten stockier, tougher mentally. With age, I think he's gotten better in areas of toughness and post play, which is to a degree normal development. But development none the less.

have you seen him move on defense, hes awkward and slow

Gentleman Desperado East_Stone_Ya's Avatar

its not good D just elementary D from him

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by It's A VC3!!!
    He's not a lockdown defender, that's for sure. However, he is a solid team defender and opposing teams don't say "Dirk is on you, ISO, ISO". Because of that, he is a solid defender.
    Too much weight is put on one on one defense. The defenders that made the biggest impact were all excellent at team/help defense.

Saw a basketball once 50_40_90_'s Avatar

Instead of "Disco Dirk," Nowitzki's nickname should be "Berlin Wall"

How does my Dirk taste creepingdeath's Avatar

You and Dmavs have said this but I saw a couple of those games and it was Chandler and Hayward on LMA. When I looked it up I seen articles about LMA going too far out for Chandler and penetration for Portland was kicking in. So they put Tyson on the center position where he belonged as he's much better under the rim. Then in LMA's bad fifth game it was mostly Hayward on him. There were three articles like that and their was one that talked about Dirk's success on LMA, apparently in spot duty. Are you saying Dirk guarded LMA most of the game? or in spot duty? Most of the series recaps don't mention Dirk going over fulltime to guard LMA.

Gasol, after 2010, would guard himself.
    Not fulltime, no. During the series, the broadcast showed a stat sheet comparing LMA's shot chart when Dirk defended him 1on1 versus when Chandler defended him 1on1. With Dirk on him, LMA shot significantly worse, and that's something you could notice when watching the actual games, too. Naturally, Chandler was the defensive anchor of the Mavs team, however, his big strength was his team defense/rotations. His post defense was inferior to Haywood's, and, at times (those when Dirk chose to/was put on the opponent's better big man), worse than Dirk's.