Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Default Re: Most points with the least FGA in NBA history?

Quote Originally Posted by Odinn
    You mean Kareem wasn't obsessed with his numbers. Right?

Not that I'm saying Wilt wasn't one of the best scorers ever and doesn't have a case for being the best. But Kareem's case is just as strong as Wilt's one.
    Wilt was told by McGuire his team needed 50, so he got 50, a feat I believe only he could achieve and they went to 7 games in the EDF against the best team in the league during one of their strongest years. Kareem never, I mean never even came close to putting up numbers Wilt put up even on nights he got hot. When Wilt was feeling hot he shattered records. When Kareem was feeling hot, he was lucky to get 50. In fact, he only scored more than 50 or more points a small handful of times - and never scored 60. Wilt scored more than 60 points 32 times.

Plus, your shifting what I'm talking about and not seeing eye to eye - you specifically just worded this 'best scorers ever' < ---- that is not the same thing as what I'm talking about. You can prioritize other things like FT shooting, offensive arsenal, longevity, heck you can prioritize 3 point shooting if you wanted too, or volume records, w/e you name it it can be done when talking about 'best scorers ever!' that is more vague than what I am talking about. I am being quite specific here, comparing them playing the same role on their teams early in their career as dedicated volume gunners on their teams. When they both played that exact same role, Wilt did that role with more dominance than Kareem did. Wilt has 32 60+ point games. Kareem has ZERO.

Don't give me the selfish Wilt spiel either, when he was asked to get 50 he got 50, when he was asked to score less and hand off in the post under a different coach 2 seasons later he dropped to 36ppg. 14ppg is a massive drop, we're talking Wizards MJ vs Peak MJ level drop - in the middle of his prime. Did he suddenly get worse?, or perhaps he sacrificed stats. Man how 'obsessed with his numbers' he was.

Banned

MJ had 58 points with 25 FG attempts 26-27 ft

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...702260CHI.html

Karl Malone had 61 with 26 fga
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/...001270UTA.html

Steph had 54 with 28 fga, only 11 fts 7 threes
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/...302270NYK.html
    Last edited by Brizzly; 12-25-2013 at 02:51 PM.

There is no talking to these Wilt-lover posters. They are just so obsessed... They are not capable of even accepting Wilt was a stat-padder.

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

There is no talking to these Wilt-lover posters. They are just so obsessed... They are not capable of even accepting Wilt was a stat-padder.
    no more or less than any other star ever did. Jordan, Kobe, Elvin Hayes..... huge ballhogs at times, one and all.

Banned

Just know the usual suspects and don't engage in any real conversation regarding Wilt.

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by moe94
    Just know the usual suspects and don't engage in any real conversation regarding Wilt.
    there you go. If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by La Frescobaldi
    there you go. If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen
    If heat is delusion and kitchen is mental ward, sure.

[COLOR="White"]half joking, you're pretty cool, relatively speaking[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    If Wilt was allowed to 'camp in the lane' as he is so often mistakenly accused of he'd have averaged 75 points a game on 90% - by all accounts of footage they actually called 3 seconds MORE TIGHTLY in his era than they do now
    And if big diesel played in Wilts era, he would have been even more dominant.

Quote Originally Posted by La Frescobaldi
    no more or less than any other star ever did. Jordan, Kobe, Elvin Hayes..... huge ballhogs at times, one and all.
    I highly doubt that. Wilt Chamberlain is the first name that pops up in people ming when talking about stat-padding.

Although Wilt cared about winning more and focused on his stats less, as time went on in his career. Like many of all-time greats, such as Jordan and Shaq.

I believe Bill Russell, Larry Bird and Tim Duncan are the only ones from top 10 range that never cared much about their numbers. Magic Johnson can be included, I guess. But I'm not so sure about it.

I highly doubt that. Wilt Chamberlain is the first name that pops up in people ming when talking about stat-padding.

Although Wilt cared about winning more and focused on his stats less, as time went on in his career. Like many of all-time greats, such as Jordan and Shaq.

I believe Bill Russell, Larry Bird and Tim Duncan are the only ones from top 10 range that never cared much about their numbers. Magic Johnson can be included, I guess. But I'm not so sure about it.
    If anyone was a "stats-padder" it was Kareem.

How about a peak Kareem? In his 71-72 season, he averaged 44.2 mpg, scored 34.8 ppg, and shot .574 from the floor. All while playing for a Bucks team that went 63-19, and had a +11.1 ppg differential.

Ok, a few years later the Bucks gladly shipped him out to LA. The Lakers had gone 30-52 the year before, and if Kareem was ever needed to step up bigtime, this would have been it. Instead, KAJ averaged 41.2 mpg, scored 27.7 ppg, and shot .529 from the field...all while leading LA to a 40-42 record.

Where were his 40 ppg seasons?

The only reason Wilt scored 50 a game was to win as per his coaches (Frank McGuire's) plan. The team game plan for 1962 was to feed Wilt so that he could produce 50 as his 50 would theoretically come much easier than anyone else on the team that season (which was true) and McGuire felt that was the only way the Warriors could go toe to toe with the Celtics - that was a TEAM plan to WIN! The team took Boston to 7 games in the EDF. Gotta love revisionist history though - sure it was Wilt being 'selfish' and when he willingly relinquished scoring 50 a game (IE, when a new coach came along with a different game plan) it was because he 'gradually became less selfish'

He was just doing what his coaches asked of him - his entire career - there is no 'gradually' anything
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 12-25-2013 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    The only reason Wilt scored 50 a game was to win - his coaches plan was to have teammates feed him so that he could produce 50 - that was the TEAM PLAN TO WIN! Gotta love revisionist history though - sure it was Wilt being 'selfish' and when he willingly relinquished scoring 50 a game (IE, when a new coach came along with a different game plan) it was because he 'gradually became less selfish'

He was just doing what his coaches asked of him - his entire career - there is no 'gradually' anything
    Not only that, but that roster was essentially the same LAST PLACE roster that Chamberlain inherited in his rookie season, only older and worse. Furthermore, Chamberlain led them to a 49-31 record; then single-handedly carried them past Syracuse in the first round, and then to a game seven, two point loss against the HOF-laden 60-20 Celtics...all whiel his teammates collectively shot .354 in that post-season.

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    If anyone was a "stats-padder" it was Kareem.

How about a peak Kareem? In his 71-72 season, he averaged 44.2 mpg, scored 34.8 ppg, and shot .574 from the floor. All while playing for a Bucks team that went 63-19, and had a +11.1 ppg differential.

Ok, a few years later the Bucks gladly shipped him out to LA. The Lakers had gone 30-52 the year before, and if Kareem was ever needed to step up bigtime, this would have been it. Instead, KAJ averaged 41.2 mpg, scored 27.7 ppg, and shot .529 from the field...all while leading LA to a 40-42 record.

Where were his 40 ppg seasons?
    jlauber, sorry but I only respect your posts when you're talking something about that is not related to Wilt. Which has been pretty rare for a long time. I mean Kareem at his peak in 1971-72?.. What a joke. It's like saying Duncan was at his best in 1998-99 season.

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    Not only that, but that roster was essentially the same LAST PLACE roster that Chamberlain inherited in his rookie season, only older and worse. Furthermore, Chamberlain led them to a 49-31 record; then single-handedly carried them past Syracuse in the first round, and then to a game seven, two point loss against the HOF-laden 60-20 Celtics...all whiel his teammates collectively shot .354 in that post-season.
    Yeah, Wilt never would have scored 50 a game if it wasn't the teams plan either - he's a damn center, centers don't TOUCH the ball unless they are lucky to get an offensive rebound or the guards pass them the ball. He didn't score 50 a game on offensive rebounds, he was fed. His teams plan was to feed him the necessary amount of touches to reach 50, it was all premeditated by Frank McGuire and everyone was on board there's nothing selfish about it.

jlauber, sorry but I only respect your posts when you're talking something about that is not related to Wilt. Which has been pretty rare for a long time. I mean Kareem at his peak in 1971-72?.. What a joke. It's like saying Duncan was at his best in 1998-99 season.
    Kareem's PEAK seasons were very early in his career. In fact, his greatest season, including the playoffs, was in 70-71, which was his second season. BTW, in his rookie season, he averaged 35.2 ppg in the playoffs. Clearly, he reached his peak early, and was never as dominant again after 72-73.

By the 74-75 season, McAdoo was just as good, and then McAdoo ran away with the scoring title (and outscored KAJ in their H2H's) in 75-76, all while leading his team to a 46-36 record, while KAJ's Lakers went 40-42. And yet, somehow, KAJ won the MVP. McAdoo should have won his second straight MVP that season.

And then from the 78-79 season on, Moses was better.