Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Local High School Star west_tip's Avatar

Default Re: What Are The Top Coaching Blunders In NBA Finals History

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster
    No coach, being up 3 points, would never settle for anyone to get an open 3 pointer at the end of the game. Especially not when it's know the guy is capable of making it, just because he hadn't hit one that day you don't want to give him an open one.
    Of course Bosh could make a three but its about picking your poison and Bosh shooting a three is the lesser of all evils.

Also, I disagree with the poster who said that Duncan would have had no chance with the second rebound, it wasn't long and he would have had a shot at securing that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman
    Scott Brooks refusing to sit Kendrick Perkins in '12.
    Sit boy!! Perkins.... SIT!!!! SIT BOY!!!!!

....[FONT="Century Gothic"]thats a good boy.... who's a good boy?[/FONT]

*Gives Perkins 4 oscar meyer wieners*

Dude, he's not a dog. You can't just tell him to sit down. He's a pro baller and the starting C for ****s sake. Not like had any depth at the position.

We lost that finals because
    A) Obvious ref bias
    B) James Harden pulling an 11' Bron

I still to this day consider Perkins a valuable asset.

Local High School Star

Sorry, but you can't defend Pop's decision to sit Duncan.
    You put the player in who literally defined the success of the franchise, and was the only reason said franchise won any rings in the first place, in any and all situations where if the team executes, they win.
    The Spurs got the miss on the 3 point attempt, Lebron isn't especially clutch, and Tim Duncan being in the game would have not made Lebron suddenly be clutch and make the field goal attempt.
    Duncan being in would have made that offensive rebound almost impossible.
    Sorry, but Pop dun goofed in that situation, and he'll never be a better coach than Phil Jackson, because PJ wouldn't have outsmarted himself or whatever delusional reason Pop was thinking of to sub Duncan out in that situation.
    Sometimes it is about the move you don't make, rather than making a move for the sake of making a move, which is what Pop did.

Quote Originally Posted by Droid101
    Collison has been a better center/player than Perkins since they day they acquired him. Perkins is only good at defending one player in the league, and he's starting to falter at that.
    Collison outplayed perk every second he was on the floor and the thunder were rolling with that line-up yet brooks couldnt see that he would be better served giving him perk's minutes. Shit was mind-boggling.

Quote Originally Posted by Budadiiii
    Sit boy!! Perkins.... SIT!!!! SIT BOY!!!!!

....[FONT="Century Gothic"]thats a good boy.... who's a good boy?[/FONT]

*Gives Perkins 4 oscar meyer wieners*

Dude, he's not a dog. You can't just tell him to sit down. He's a pro baller and the starting C for ****s sake. Not like had any depth at the position.

We lost that finals because
    A) Obvious ref bias
    B) James Harden pulling an 11' Bron

I still to this day consider Perkins a valuable asset.
    You are deceiving yourself. Perk was a massive liability in that series and I'm amazed that you don't see it

Quote Originally Posted by Brook(lyn)Lopez
    You put the player in who literally defined the success of the franchise, and was the only reason said franchise won any rings in the first place, in any and all situations where if the team executes, they win.
    So much this. Duncan was playing like a man possessed that night, especially in the first half. He was so close to that fifth ring he could almost smell it and to take him out at that critical stage is indefensible and I say that as a big Pop fan. Just leave your alpha dog in there, defend the three as best you can and trust your team to come up with a stop/board with your most influential player on the court.

Quote Originally Posted by red1
    You are deceiving yourself. Perk was a massive liability in that series and I'm amazed that you don't see it
    I missed three games. was in California on vacation. was out/about and couldnt catch the games.

Watched the first two missed the last three. I'm talking out of my ass on this one. I was too salty to watch the full games because I already knew the result. I did watch the game where WB went for 43 but not the other two...

I simply don't know if he was a liability or not. Don't know how Scotty handled the rotations.

Quote Originally Posted by Brook(lyn)Lopez
    The Spurs got the miss on the 3 point attempt, Lebron isn't especially clutch, and Tim Duncan being in the game would have not made Lebron suddenly be clutch and make the field goal attempt.
    Duncan being in would have made that offensive rebound almost impossible.
    Sorry, but Pop dun goofed in that situation, and he'll never be a better coach than Phil Jackson, because PJ wouldn't have outsmarted himself or whatever delusional reason Pop was thinking of to sub Duncan out in that situation.
    Sometimes it is about the move you don't make, rather than making a move for the sake of making a move, which is what Pop did.
    This is all 20/20 hindsight. Do you not understand the reason WHY he pulled him? Does it not make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Budadiiii
    I missed three games. was in California on vacation. was out/about and couldnt catch the games.

Watched the first two missed the last three. I'm talking out of my ass on this one. I was too salty to watch the full games because I already knew the result. I did watch the game where WB went for 43 but not the other two...

I simply don't know if he was a liability or not. Don't know how Scotty handled the rotations.
    Fair enough. The reason I am confident in okc's chances of contending this year is because of how close they came in 2012. The 4-1 final result is not indicative of how competitive the series was. All okc needed was a few minor tweaks like not playing perk period against a small-ball team like miami and giving collison more minutes. It doesnt hurt that harden contributed nothing and that the pieces they got back are fitting in very well.

Does it not make sense?
    It doesn't because:
    a) Bosh was 0/6 from three thus far in the Finals (he ended up 0/7) and
    b) Taking Duncan out did not work after Lebron missed then made the first three, why do it again?
    c) You have to secure the defensive rebound in order to finish the play and Duncan led all players that night with 17 boards.

Quote Originally Posted by west_tip
    Of course Bosh could make a three but its about picking your poison and Bosh shooting a three is the lesser of all evils.

Also, I disagree with the poster who said that Duncan would have had no chance with the second rebound, it wasn't long and he would have had a shot at securing that one.
    No giving an open three when it's the only shot you can't have the other team make is the evil. The lesser evil is getting nobody an open shot because it's ALL the heat could use.

So many things went wrong for the Spurs on that last play, Bosh was allowed to set a very illegal screen to get Lebron open for his inital three, then Ginobili has to fall to the ground on the rebound or Allen would never haven been open for a second three point attempt.

Mike Brown when he got severely out coached by SVG in 2009 in every facet of the series.

Quote Originally Posted by west_tip
    It doesn't because:
    a) Bosh was 0/6 from three thus far in the Finals (he ended up 0/7) and
    b) Taking Duncan out did not work after Lebron missed then made the first three, why do it again?
    c) You have to secure the defensive rebound in order to finish the play and Duncan led all players that night with 17 boards.
    This is still hindsight man. What the spurs wanted to avoid was the heat getting a clean look at a three. Pop's decision was in line with that. Duncan has terrible mobility at his age so it was a sound decision. Just bad luck

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster
    The lesser evil is getting nobody an open shot because it's ALL the heat could use.
    Its all the Heat could use yet they found themselves with 4 chances at it because Spurs couldn't get the rebound.

Bosh is not a lights out 3 point shooter so there was no reason for Pop to substitute Tim for that reason.

This is all 20/20 hindsight. Do you not understand the reason WHY he pulled him? Does it not make sense?
    He reacted to Spoelstra; Pop's been the guy who had other coaches react to him his whole career. Spo wanted him to match his line up and won.