Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: French New Wave cinema

Quote Originally Posted by HardwoodLegend
    After 'Breathless' and 'Vivre sa vie', I can already tell I'm most likely going to be a Godard fanboy who thinks he can do little to no wrong. The other day, I placed my first overseas order on Amazon.co.uk for 'Une femme mariee'. The region free blu from Masters of Cinema.

Thanks for the recs.

Do you not like Truffaut at all? None of the Antoine Doinel films or 'Shoot the Piano Player'? I'm going to be checking out 'Jules & Jim' next.
    I'm a huge fanboy too. Greatest filmmaker of all-time and it's not really close if you ask me. I have the Masters of Cinema Blu-Ray for Une femme mariee also!

I quite like The 400 Blows, and I really, really like The Soft Skin and The Wild Child...but everything after Day for Night (1973) felt too catered for the audience. I actually think Godard hated Truffaut after Day for Night (they were like brothers) because Godard felt Truffaut was romanticizing Hollywood. It may seem like a silly thing to lose a friend over, but Godard really believed/believes "Cinema is Everything."

Jules et Jim was Truffaut trying to be Godard. It's a very good film though; probably Truffaut's most respected after The 400 Blows.
    Last edited by T_L_P; 02-19-2014 at 12:43 AM.

And how could I forget the films of Robert Bresson?

He's not really a New Wave filmmaker, but he influenced just about every one of them greatly -- especially Godard (he once called 'Au hasard Balthazar' the world in an hour and half; although he apparently suggested that the film be burned when he became a Maoist).

   

microcosmos.

i like luc besson, but he tried to do an underwater version of that, and it sucked. leave the dockies to attenborough?