Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: The Asian Paradox

Quote Originally Posted by dr.hee
    Cool, would be interesting to read a bit more about how you got the job, what's your background on teaching and so on...
    I don't have a an education degree, but I used my BFA to get a teaching certificate a couple years after graduating college. I got a job teaching middle school in north Denver, 3 math classes and 3 literacy classes per day. I loved the job, school, co-workers, kids, and basically everything about it. However, I was working for a lower income district and they ended up 'terminating' my position. I had an offer to move to another school in the district, but I wasn't really happy with it and decided to take my talents to Asia.

I researched for probably three weeks straight comparing the pros and cons of various countries. I finally narrowed it down to Korea or Japan, which were my initial top two to begin with anyway. Korea just offered more than Japan, and after jumping through the bureaucratic hoops and many skype interviews, I accepted a job in Seoul. Every country has different benefits, but I wanted East Asia. It's really up to the teacher and where they want to live. SE Asia didn't really appeal to me, but it does for many others, there are many many options. I should also mention that Taiwan was very high on my list as well. It looks absolutely beautiful there, I have never lived by the water, and they love basketball. But anyway, here I am in Korea.

I love it here, and luckily ended up with a position and school that I really like. My hours are 1-8:30 pm, and only teach for 4-5 hours a day. The kids are sweet and funny, so I'm very happy here. I have read many horror (probably exaggerated) of other foreigners coming here and having problems. I've had a very smooth transition.

I do have issues with our syllabus and materials, and the vacation time isn't ideal, so I try to make class fun and engaging to get the kids conversing and telling stories in English. Even though I do have a few complaints, I have rent free apartment on the 13th floor in a very rich district, my flight here was paid for, and earn a healthy salary. There is not as much English here as I was expecting, so my Korean is improving everyday. I've only been here for 5 weeks and I can read and write the Korean alphabet, order foods, understand most numbers, and other basic stuff. I came here knowing nothing of the language so I'm pretty proud of myself. I'm taking free classes too, the country is overall quite welcoming if you make an effort.

I decided in early June that I was leaving, but didn't know where. I traveled quite a bit during June so I didn't really start researching until late June/early July. I started my paperwork and documents for Korea around July 25, and landed in Korea on November 27. It's roughly a 4-5 month process, most of it just sitting around waiting for documents to arrive in the mail. It's enough to drive a man insane.
    Last edited by Randy; 01-05-2014 at 12:48 AM.

   

whoa... nice work, randy.

whole thing sounds almost dreamlike, not that you didn't bust ass, apparently.

Great college starter SyRyanYang's Avatar

I'm Asian and my English is better than yours, suck it. (seeing that you don't even understand the word "paradox")

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

I wanted to teach in Asia too. But I have social anxiety and I don't think it would go well. I would be a nervous wreck to begin with. Plus I'm a college drop out and don't have a bachelors..so I'm not good enough.. . But I would love to live in Asia and integrate into whatever countries society it is. Best of luck to you Randy. I'm teaching myself Korean at the moment.

College superstar AintNoSunshine's Avatar

Maybe because they were taught by the same dumbazzes who worked their tails off in English class but hasn't communicate with a foreigner their entire life?