NBA rookie of the year

Default Need tips from people with experience as a landlord

1. Trying to evict a tenant by myself, (save some money) and the process server is having trouble serving the tenant as he refuses to open the door. I have heard about an alternative method of serving someone that doesnt require them to receive the papers, or at least their cooperation. Anyways does any one have details or experience with this?

2. I managed to get a judgement against another tenant and after evicting them they had tons of food in the fridge and in the cabinets. Would you recommend giving those to a food shelter or something, or if someone gets sick would I be held responsible? I have heard to be safe most landlords toss it, but that seems so wasteful. Also is it normal to agree to give the tenant time after the eviction to move out by themselves?

3. Will the government (eg. health department) come and inspect one of your units walls at the request of a tenant?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Banned

Default Re: Need tips from people with experience as a landlord

take the food for yourself or just toss it out

Our tenants didn't want to pay rent. They got off the hook and lived in my house for 9 months without paying rent. All because we had an illegal converted basement we lost the case. Keep in mind their rent was $1,500.

Quote Originally Posted by Draz
    Our tenants didn't want to pay rent. They got off the hook and lived in my house for 9 months without paying rent. All because we had an illegal converted basement we lost the case. Keep in mind their rent was $1,500.
    did you have to pay their legal fees?

NBA rookie of the year It's A VC3!!!'s Avatar

It's very strenuous dealing with tenants that refuse to pay their rent. There are so many loopholes and laws that actually allow the tenant to live rent free. It's absurd but what is the reason for your tenant not paying his rent? If he still has his job and is skipping payments for no reason charge in his complex and beat his ass outside the door.

It's my fathers house but I don't think he paid the legal fees. I doubt it but I'm sure you would normally have to pay the legal fees of the winning opposition.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Draz
    That sucks man.
    Im guess the judge gave him the 9 months?

Or did you w8 awhile before trying to evict.

That must have been awkward living with him under you like that.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by It's A VC3!!!
    It's very strenuous dealing with tenants that refuse to pay their rent. There are so many loopholes and laws that actually allow the tenant to live rent free. It's absurd but what is the reason for your tenant not paying his rent? If he still has his job and is skipping payments for no reason charge in his complex and beat his ass outside the door.
    Some people have no shame.