Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Homage to Al Thornton AI Thornton's Avatar

Default Re: 5mb harddrive 50+ years ago

Quote Originally Posted by fiddy
    The problem with current technology is that there is not much more room for improvement. Nice find OP
    I'll remember this 50 years from now.... when we have chips implanted into our minds that make us recall ever small detail of our lives perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by B-hoop
    Does it allow for solid state hard-drives? That shit is just incredible, 100x faster than the normal magnetic hd
    My computer is a SSD 256 GB hard drive, and honestly I can't tell how much faster it is than an ordinary laptop because I've gotten so used to it. the only thing I really notice rebooting the computer only takes about 15 seconds or something.

Quantum computers today. 20 years from now they will be on my phone.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Today people talk, "oh my god, we have so much technology right now, look at my beautiful ipod and ipad, very colorful and bright".

But the guys who were really badass were the guys from this time, who created technology from nothing, there was no hard drive, no transistor, no IC, no internet, and they created the base of the things we are using today from nothing.

Just think about how was programming back then, they had to write things in assembly by hand, and had to triple check everything looking for an error.

The computer used in the apollo program used a memory recorded in ropes, just think about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_rope_memory

And today we use an API and barely have to think to make a computer program.
    Last edited by Frozen1; 01-08-2014 at 11:48 AM.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen1
    Today people talk, "oh my god, we have so much technology right now, look at my beautiful ipod and ipad, very colorful and bright".

But the guys who were really badass were the guys from this time, who created technology from nothing, there was no hard drive, no transistor, no IC, no internet, and they created the base of the things we are using today from nothing.

Just think about how was programming back then, they had to write things in assembly by hand, and had to triple check everything looking for an error.

The computer used in the apollo program used a memory recorded in ropes, just think about it.

I don't get the point. Researchers have always been under-appreciated and still are bad-ass.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsFanNumero1
    I don't get the point. Researchers have always been under-appreciated and still are bad-ass.
    I

Thread abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen1

You do realize those ropes had a ferrite core, don't you? You make it sound like they were using freaking hemp cord or something.