Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567
    Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Default Re: Grade 4 question: I wanna see if an adult can pass this

Teacher's aren't perfect.

Fukk it.

In elementary school, the point of getting good grades is to impress your parents.

So, just tell your kid that you think the question was a little weird and in your eyes he shouldn't have lost points for that. So if he got 8 out of the other 9 questions right, tell him that in your eyes he got a 88% (8 out of 9 = 88%) on that test.

Also, as said, a lot of times different terms are used by different teachers. "Check it" is pretty damn vague, but it is highly likely that on the chalkboard or in their homework or somewhere previous to this test, this teacher wrote "check it" after a problem and he/she meant to do the problem in reverse.
    Last edited by tmacattack33; 01-11-2014 at 04:11 PM.

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tmacattack33
    Teacher's aren't perfect.

Fukk it.

In elementary school, the point of getting good grades is to impress your parents.

So, just tell your kid that you think the question was a little weird and in your eyes he shouldn't have lost points for that. So if he got 8 out of the other 9 questions right, tell him that in your eyes he got a 88% (8 out of 9 = 88%) on that test.

Also, as said, a lot of times different terms are used by different teachers. "Check it" is pretty damn vague, but it is highly likely that on the chalkboard or in their homework or somewhere previous to this test, this teacher wrote "check it" after a problem and he/she meant to do the problem in reverse.
    You are the wind beneath my wings bro.

Grades are irrelevant until high school, imo.

So I had a change to meet with my son's teacher Friday afternoon. I thought this would be a good lead-in into a discussion about how my son is doing overall

Here's what she said about the math question (take not sundizz you salty faknut. This is how a teacher should handle it)

She said that she agreed the question was vague. To her defense she did not write the test herself, it's part of the curriculum. The way it marked is the way the curriculum was laid out. She also said the lesson was not on reverse order but on subtracting using carry overs. So in fact my son did not really get the question wrong, and there was no lesson leading up to this assignment, however it was covered at one point of the year.
    She could see why my son, amongst many others had interpreted it the wrong way. In fact the way my son had done it was show his work and it showed the teacher how the lesson would be taught to kids his age. The material was then taught again as a refresher and to put more emphasis on what "check it" means and to use reverse order in the future.
    My son has no learning issues nor does he require any additional tutoring outside of the class.

THAT is how an educator should approach this situation. It gives me confidence in the teacher that she is able to take accountability.

It's a shame that the majority of the people will take the side of the teacher and automatically attack my child and me in this situation. Jumped to the conclusion that my son is dumb as opposed to seeing both sides need to take accountability. This teacher instead on blaming my son, and blaming the world took pride in her work and decided to educate, not just teach. Take note educators.

Quote Originally Posted by The Macho Man
    You set up a meeting over this? Or was this already scheduled or something?
    I had concerns about his overall progress. I thought this was a good lead in to that question.

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid
    So I had a change to meet with my son's teacher Friday afternoon. I thought this would be a good lead-in into a discussion about how my son is doing overall

Here's what she said about the math question (take not sundizz you salty faknut. This is how a teacher should handle it)

She said that she agreed the question was vague. To her defense she did not write the test herself, it's part of the curriculum. The way it marked is the way the curriculum was laid out. She also said the lesson was not on reverse order but on subtracting using carry overs. So in fact my son did not really get the question wrong, and there was no lesson leading up to this assignment, however it was covered at one point of the year.
    She could see why my son, amongst many others had interpreted it the wrong way. In fact the way my son had done it was show his work and it showed the teacher how the lesson would be taught to kids his age. The material was then taught again as a refresher and to put more emphasis on what "check it" means and to use reverse order in the future.
    My son has no learning issues nor does he require any additional tutoring outside of the class.

THAT is how an educator should approach this situation. It gives me confidence in the teacher that she is able to take accountability.

It's a shame that the majority of the people will take the side of the teacher and automatically attack my child and me in this situation. Jumped to the conclusion that my son is dumb as opposed to seeing both sides need to take accountability. This teacher instead on blaming my son, and blaming the world took pride in her work and decided to educate, not just teach. Take note educators.
    Good good.. Sounds like things worked out... Communication is an amazing thing...

Sounds like what I mentioned in an earlier post, part of the new national core standards approach to teaching..

To the bold, you knew that already dad...

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

she said all that after you punched her in the stomach like I suggested right?

told you that was the correct way to go about things...you're welcome

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    You are the wind beneath my wings bro.
    Why thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by gts
    Good good.. Sounds like things worked out... Communication is an amazing thing...

Sounds like what I mentioned in an earlier post, part of the new national core standards approach to teaching..

To the bold, you knew that already dad...
    Thanks bud.
    I'm glad you came and shared the side of the parent in this thread

Quote Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
    she said all that after you punched her in the stomach like I suggested right?

told you that was the correct way to go about things...you're welcome
    I took the other route and tried to seduce her.
    We scheduled another late night meeting next week........ ;)

Quote Originally Posted by tmacattack33
    Why thank you.
    Your comment was really appreciated though.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid

I'm glad your issue was successfully worked out. Though I must say, it's my belief you yielded the responses you received in this thread largely through the manner with which you originally presented your problem. Even if it wasn't your intent, your posts can sometimes come across a little abrasive or suggestive when it comes to educators, which in turn puts a number of contributing posters on the defensive.

Your original post felt as though it was merely a build-up toward criticizing teachers. As such, with such limited background information, some (perhaps not always eloquently) pointed out that it could have been something besides the entire fault or willful ignorance of the educator.

Again though, I am glad the educator was professional in addressing the situation. I'm hopeful this can go a long ways toward the realization that most educational employees are merely trying to do their job the best they can and even then, it's still going to result in a lot of imperfections.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    I'm glad your issue was successfully worked out. Though I must say, it's my belief you yielded the responses you received in this thread largely through the manner with which you originally presented your problem. Even if it wasn't your intent, your posts can sometimes come across a little abrasive or suggestive when it comes to educators, which in turn puts a number of contributing posters on the defensive.

Your original post felt as though it was merely a build-up toward criticizing teachers. As such, with such limited background information, some (perhaps not always eloquently) pointed out that it could have been something besides the entire fault or willful ignorance of the educator.

Again though, I am glad the educator was professional in addressing the situation. I'm hopeful this can go a long ways toward the realization that most educational employees are merely trying to do their job the best they can and even then, it's still going to result in a lot of imperfections.
    I can see how it comes across that way. That's just me acting as a concerned parent. Maybe secrectly I was embarrassed because I didn't figure out the question myself