Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Boardwalk Empire ending in the fall

Banned

Default Re: Boardwalk Empire ending in the fall

Yeah, read that earlier. Came out of left field since they still have a LOT of material to cover before the show's possible logical conclusions (either Nucky Johnson's historical downfall or the Atlantic City Conference). Guess it got into Rome territory where its just too expensive to produce.

Hopefully they do the final season justice.

That's great, pace the damn show like it's going to last 10 years and then end it really quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    That's great, pace the damn show like it's going to last 10 years and then end it really quickly.
    Exactly. Felt like they had another 3 seasons at least, if not more.

That really sucks. Yet True Blood will have 20 seasons.

Banned

Maybe Al Cap

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

True Blood has already announced next season will be it's last as well. So HBO will have two chunks of Sunday night real estate to fill. That alone is interesting.

Maybe Boardwalk has more to do with Terrance Winter wanting to move on to other things. He just wrote Wolf of Wall Street. Clearly he's developed a relationship with Scorcese. Maybe he just wants to do more film work.

Even if that were the case though, I'm sure he'd have no problem turning the show over to someone else from it's existing writing staff.

Good. Last season was like watching grass grow.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    Seriously what the hell.

Wow I'm ****ing sad. I'm even more sad cause it feels like they have so much story to tell. I wouldn't say the same thing about shows like the Wire, the Shield, or Breaking Bad because they seem to end at a point where there wasn't much else they could do but end the series on an exciting note. But this show? I literally thought we were maybe only at the half-way point.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    Yeah, read that earlier. Came out of left field since they still have a LOT of material to cover before the show's possible logical conclusions (either Nucky Johnson's historical downfall or the Atlantic City Conference). Guess it got into Rome territory where its just too expensive to produce.

Hopefully they do the final season justice.
    I thought the logical conclusion would be the end of Prohibition, 1933. The last season ended in 1924.

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    I thought the logical conclusion would be the end of Prohibition, 1933. The last season ended in 1924.
    Yeah. This is ridiculous. It should end with the end of Prohibition.

3-time NBA All-Star

I can't find the article but I read something yesterday that basically showed that this contradicted everything Terrance Winter said after the end of season 4. He said and implied that there's still a ton of story left and multiple seasons left. Must've been an HBO move. Dumbasses.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

They really going to end a show about Nucky Thompson without getting to the Atlantic City conference which he hosted that featured like....every famous gangster ever? Im talking Capone, Bugsy, Lucky, Lansky, and like 20 other people rappers wont stop comparing themselves to. It feels like what the whole show was leading to....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    They really going to end a show about Nucky Thompson without getting to the Atlantic City conference which he hosted that featured like....every famous gangster ever? Im talking Capone, Bugsy, Lucky, Lansky, and like 20 other people rappers wont stop comparing themselves to. It feels like what the whole show was leading to....
    Exactly, like I said above

That's where guys like Luciano, Capone, Lansky, Genovese, etc and so on all came together to basically take over the country and turn crime into a multibillion dollar mega corporation and became legends.

There's still 5 years to go in the timeline before that moment. Season 5 might be a complete disaster with them trying to wrap everything up in a hurry. I'm sure they were planning on going at least 7 seasons but either Terence Winter's plans changing or low ratings precipitated this.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleKong
    I don't understand, why not just cut back on the productions costs.

Also, how much is HBO spending per episode for them to cut the cord? Game of Thrones averaged $11 million an episode for season three, so Boardwalk must have been absurd.
    You mean to say that Game of Thrones costs 11 mil an episode? So, like, 110 million to make season 3 ?