Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Jordan vs Lebron; Who was better at making their teammates better?

Lebron He took a sorry ass team to the Finals

Jordans team almost made it to the Finals without him.

Decent playground baller Kovach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Leftimage
    This post implies Pippen would not have been an all time great had he been drafted by another team. How do you know that for a fact? I'm willing to bet his stats would have been insane elsewhere.
    And how do YOU know? How do you know how would his career turn out without the countless 1 on 1 sessions with Jordan or without having to go over the Pistons hump? What if he got drafted by the Nuggets? Do you seriously believe he would still be a defensive beast that he was if he spent his first several years playing for Moe and Westhead? Get real. He was nowhere near the total package and a potential all-time great coming out of college.

alternick = loser :D veilside23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kovach
    And how do YOU know? How do you know how would his career turn out without the countless 1 on 1 sessions with Jordan or without having to go over the Pistons hump? What if he got drafted by the Nuggets? Do you seriously believe he would still be a defensive beast that he was if he spent his first several years playing for Moe and Westhead? Get real. He was nowhere near the total package and a potential all-time great coming out of college.
    Kids! they only knew pippen because he played with jordan

people already knew wade bosh battier allen before they joined lebron.

but making teammates better doesnt always account to passing at all or being playmaker.. Leadership is what makes your teammates better... Making the right plays at the right time also matters.

So i agree with DukeDelonte's post ...

Quote Originally Posted by G-Funk
    Lebron He took a sorry ass team to the Finals

Jordans team almost made it to the Finals without him.
    losing in the 2nd round is almost making it to the Finals?

94-95 Bulls when MJ returned finished the season out with a 13-4 record, they were 34-31 without him that year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kovach
    This isn't true. He was a PG in college at 6'8. He was already known for his defensive skills, and was a top 5 lottery pick in a damn good draft. Heres his draft video
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...emmnuWtqGE5k8w

If you take the time to watch it, notice what players they mention when comparing him. Magic Johnson and Dennis Rodman. Thats basically what he ended up being. A forward that is capable of being the PG. With great defensive skills. And athleticism.

Even in his interview he made it clear that he eventually wanted to evolve into being the Pointguard of his team.

So the talent was definitely there.

Now does he win if he were drafted by a team like the Nuggets? Id lean towards no. But that doesn't seem to matter on Insidehoops.

Phil Jackson- It was a late fall morning very early in Scottie Pippen’s professional career, as it was for Phil Jackson too, for that matter. The Bulls, at the time, held practices at the Deerfield Multiplex, with the coaches’ offices located just off the baseline, only 12 or so feet away from the court.

I thinks its often missed that Jordan and Pippen helped each other. Heres a couple of quotes from interviews done with Phil Jackson and Tex Winter. Both can be found on NBA.com

When Jackson and his staff emerged a few minutes before practice started, they saw Pippen and Michael Jordan on the side of the court working on a segment of the team’s offense called the “corner series.”

“They were making a reverse pivot and Scottie was going to the basket dunking with his left hand,” Jackson recalled in a phone interview. “Michael was trying to learn from Scottie how to get the steps right to finish with his left hand. That was something that Scottie could do which Michael wanted in his repertoire.”
    Imagine that????? Scottie Pippens actually helping Michael Jordan better yet teaching Jordan. And at Jordan's behest.

Tex Winter- "Michael realized how easy it was to play with him and how he helped make his teammates better. It's often said Jordan needed Pippen and Pippen needed Jordan. I'm not sure Jordan didn't need Pippen more than Pippen needed Jordan."

jordan, never lost in tha finals and had better competition.

alternick = loser :D veilside23's Avatar

[QUOTE=97 bulls]Phil Jackson- It was a late fall morning very early in Scottie Pippen

Quote Originally Posted by veilside23
    what's your point? are you sure you are a bulls fan? so you mean to say that even without jordan they could have won.. Well dan has been FMVP scottie pippen was great but jordan is the main guy.. i dont know what your point is
    Hell no they couldn't win without Jordan. My purpose is to shut these morons up. The notion that Jordan won all by himself or in spite of his teammates is idiotic.

And what is equally idiotic is the assumption that Pippen wouldn't be great without Jordan

National High School Star I.R.Beast's Avatar

let's See... Lebron makes teammates one dimensional and his style caters to spot up shooters... that is not making teammates better...

Jordan being 6-6 in the Finals should be the end argument. He never had "stacked" rosters, except for maybe 96 because Rodman and Pippen were playing really well in the regular season and playoffs. Michael never let his team down when the rest of the guys weren't showing up(98 Finals).

Jordan made Pippen a top 50 all-time player. Lebron hasn't done that. He joined an NBA Champion and an NBA Finals MVP + another all-star to compete for titles. While I don't think that takes away from Lebron's own accomplishments, I do think I'm right to use this argument when it comes to making teammates better. Have Chris Bosh or Wade been better with Lebron? When the 2013 NBA Championship was on the line, Bron missed a 3 that would tie the game and his teammate had to get the offensive rebound and another teammate had to hit the three to save the game. I don't see how that is making anyone better.

MJ trusted his teammates when he needed to and they always came through when it mattered the most.

Quote Originally Posted by SacJB Shady
    They both played with hall of famers. My friend says Jordan could make his teammates better than Lebron can. But Lebron averages more assists and is a point forward. So which player has more of an impact on their teammates, not counting individual numbers?
    Jordan averaged tripple-double when he played as a PG.

There is no simple answer who makes teammates better, their styles are radically different.

Jordan had contagious borderline psychotic will to win. Players either had to step up or get lost from the Bulls. Intense training drills with the GOAT certainly made them better too, especially Pippen. However some were rubbed in the wrong way and hated MJ.

Lebron has a laid-back attitude, has some fun and I havent noticed him pushing teammates to their abilities and beyond.

IMHO Lebron is probably more liked by the teammates, but MJ got more off his players and pushed them to 6 championships (with comparatively less stacked teams and against greater competition).

Quote Originally Posted by Fresh Kid
    they werent bosh, allen, and lewis type players
    Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Kukoc on the Bulls was better than Allen or Lewis were at any point on the Heat...
    Did you even watch the Bulls?

Kukoc was a legit 20/5/5 player on any other team.
    and he won titles without those players...

Quote Originally Posted by Nash
    Lewis
    lewis wasnt an all star?