Default HBO State of Play: Trophy Kids

Anybody catch the first entry from Peter Berg's sports documentary series?

The first one focused on unhealthily overbearing parents who push their children in various sports (football, basketball, tennis, golf) and how damaging it can be for the young athletes under the guise that they are being pushed for greatness.

Which parent do you think was the worst and most selfish in their pursuit of their child's success?

Do you agree with the level of cold, persistent criticism parents can give their young children athletes and do you believe it can make them a more focused, confident athlete in the long run?

What are your personal experiences with parents vicariously living through their young and adolescent children through sports? Have you ever been pushed by your own parents in a manner that made you miserable or resentful of them as a person?

Banned

Default Re: HBO State of Play: Trophy Kids

When I usied to read sports illustrated, and read interviews of up and coming super stars, in any sport, a huge majority said that their parents told them they could do whatever they wanted to do with they worked hard enough and put their mind to it.

I know thats cheesey cliche advice, but also good advice. I definately realized there was a pattern after years of reading SI. They needed belief they could make it to inspire them to work hard enough.

The other end of the stick is the kids who were told they werent good enough by a coach really early and used that as motivation to work insanely hard.

Probably alot of these young kids who get pushed burn out or lose interest pretty early.

Yea that's the sticky part for me. Great, transcendental athletes were relentlessly pushed by their parents but maybe in these cases, the parents just had enough foresight to see their kids were born with special ability in athletics and tirelessly worked with them to cultivate.

I think that regimented routine and seriousness of training is appropriate for obvious phenoms but honestly, not every child athlete has what it takes to succeed at high levels. Sometimes it can just be exploitive and cruel to the child's self image and mental health just for the purposes of the parent trying to fill regrets or voids of their own past with athletics.

Going to see if its On Demand and watch.

One of the best docs I've ever seen. So entertaining and really made me appreciate the way my Dad handled it when I was growing up.

He would be there at every single sporting event with his video camera and was behind me 100%, never pushed me too hard or went against what I wanted.. understood that I only get my childhood once and honestly that guy gave me the best one a kid could want.

As far as which was the worst? I think the Golf dad was the most selfish. That little girl is tough as nails though... and she definitely has a bright future.

The other black dude was very interesting. That kid does seem like a spoiled punk, but that guy is all in all the time. It was entertaining as hell to watch, n*gga made him cry in the car like a bitch.

The one I found most disgusting tho was the other white basketball player they covered.... I think his name was Ean or some shit. Got the head coach fired. I was raging at those two ****ing losers.

The main white basketball dude and his dad was interesting.. guy was loud and obnoxious as hell but it had a touching end and the kid seems pretty head-strong and their relationship is probably pretty good.

That tennis mom was just a nut-case and those two kids are pretty worthless.

Overall it was a very entertaining watch and I highly recommend it. Do I agree with it? IDK... those kids ARE going to benefit from this type of disciplined child-hood but will end up resenting their parents for it.. honestly don't really give a shit. These kids aren't getting beat with telephone poles or anything. I say it's fair game.

I think it might help a child's development as an athlete in individual sports but not team sports. You see these stories more with sports like tennis, gymnastics, golf, etc but most of the great team sports players don't have publicized backgrounds like that.

A parent pushing a child like that really does some psychological damage which impairs their ability to succeed in a team environment where peak performance is dependent on interpersonal relationships. I think that an overbearing parent leads kids to either become reckless outside of family life or become withdrawn/isolated which hurts someone in a team sport. A generalization of course but that would be my guess.

I think the golf dad disgusted me the most. His verbal and body language towards his young daughter disgusted me. He shoulda been socked in the mouf

Quote Originally Posted by Budadiiii.
    As far as which was the worst? I think the Golf dad was the most selfish. That little girl is tough as nails though... and she definitely has a bright future.

[B
    Agreed. That dude seemed like an insecure loser[/B]

The other black dude was very interesting. That kid does seem like a spoiled punk, but that guy is all in all the time. It was entertaining as hell to watch, n*gga made him cry in the car like a bitch.

He was over the top for sure but I think his philosophy isn't too far moved from reality and he had mostly good intentions, just didn't know how to be a proper father

The one I found most disgusting tho was the other white basketball player they covered.... I think his name was Ean or some shit. Got the head coach fired. I was raging at those two ****ing losers.

I didn't see more than one basketball kid. Where did you see this? Did you watch on t.v. or internet?
    There may be a longer version online or sumthin cuz I think the director mentioned that.

One thing that stood out to me was that the football kid played soft and timid as shit. He didn't seem like he even wanted to be on the field, like he did it to avoid an ass whooping and to placate his pops.

All the other kids at least seemed to have some skill/desire to get to the next level. Football kid just seemed like a nice, sensitive type. Not an athlete mindset whatsoever
    Last edited by ROCSteady; 01-10-2014 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    I think it might help a child's development as an athlete in individual sports but not team sports. You see these stories more with sports like tennis, gymnastics, golf, etc but most of the great team sports players don't have publicized backgrounds like that.

A parent pushing a child like that really does some psychological damage which impairs their ability to succeed in a team environment where peak performance is dependent on interpersonal relationships. I think that an overbearing parent leads kids to either become reckless outside of family life or become withdrawn/isolated which hurts someone in a team sport. A generalization of course but that would be my guess.
    Some good points sociologically with the team sports connection. I agree with the bold. With team sports, SO much is dependent on team strategy, coaching and the abilities of others that those crazy, annoying parents may be often wasting energy berating failed accomplishments and performances because so much is out of the individual's control.

I can't find it on HBO Demand.

Gonna try HBO Go, when did it come on

I saw it on earlier today but I do know you can access it on HBO Go, the director mentioned it