Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NBA rookie of the year

Default Death threats and denial for woman who showed college athletes struggle to read

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/09/us/nca...-unc-response/

The death threats, Mary Willingham expected.
    More shocking is that the University of North Carolina is now disavowing her research as a whistle-blower -- research that showed between 8% and 10% of the school's football and basketball players are reading below a third-grade level.
    UNC issued a statement Wednesday night saying it did not believe Willingham's account of a basketball player who could not read or write.
    Illiterates in big time college sports UNC reacts to illiteracy invesitgation
    It went on: "University officials can't comment on the other statistical claims mentioned in the story because they have not seen that data. University officials have asked for that data, but those requests have not been met."
    As well as questioning UNC many times about the story before publication, CNN has also detailed Willingham's research.
    And purported e-mail exchanges obtained by CNN since August show that Willingham did share her findings at least twice -- once with Executive Vice Provost James W. Dean Jr., and once with a member of a university committee on academics and athletics.
    Basically this woman found that between 8-10% of revenue (football and basketball) student athletes read at or below a 3rd grade level.
    Her analysis was based on data provided by UNC.
    Now people are pissed at her.

UNC also denies that their athletes have a low reading level.

CNNs study of literacy among revenue producing student athletes.
    http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2014/...res/index.html

Decent playground baller TexasBloodMoney's Avatar

Default Re: Death threats and denial for woman who showed college athletes struggle to read

We strong and you strong and we strong and we national champions and strong.

Default Re: Death threats and denial for woman who showed college athletes struggle to read

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBloodMoney
    We strong and you strong and we strong and we national champions and strong.
    Jameis's postgame interview was one of the most inspirational things I've ever seen and I am not joking.

exercise profits littl MadeFromDust's Avatar

If she was busy making sammiches this wouldn't have happened

Doesn't surprise me. I'm sure plenty of colleges have athletes who can't read worth shit.
    Hell, it's rumored Derrick Rose's level of retained education is elementary school-like.

What can I do for you? SuperPippen's Avatar

You don't have to be intelligent to be a pro athlete, and I don't see what there is to get upset over.

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuperPippen
    You don't have to be intelligent to be a pro athlete, and I don't see what there is to get upset over.
    College athletes are not pro athletes. And being in college means you should be able to have basic communication skills.

National High School Star dr.hee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuperPippen
    You don't have to be intelligent, that's true. But don't you think it's kind of nice to be able to solve something like this while in college? I mean it worked out for dimwits like J.R Smith...but for every basketball millionaire, there are apparently thousands of guys with not even the language skillls of a 3rd grader

Quote Originally Posted by ace23
    Jameis's postgame interview was one of the most inspirational things I've ever seen and I am not joking.

How so? In the context of the sexual assault drama being false, I was glad he conquered that and got the ultimate W but he sounded like a dumb dumb.

I'm not even hatin becuz it was an emotional/responsive interview and he's super young but he didn't say anything especially inspirational. just a run of the mill National Champs moment from a phenom student-athlete. Nothing transcendent outside of having to be apart of some seemingly false accusations. Even then, his campus and community would have went to bat for him even if the evidence didn't paint him in a positive light.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Am I the only one that expected the numbers to be higher? I was pleasantly surprised.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ROCSteady
    How so? In the context of the sexual assault drama being false, I was glad he conquered that and got the ultimate W but he sounded like a dumb dumb.

I'm not even hatin becuz it was an emotional/responsive interview and he's super young but he didn't say anything especially inspirational. just a run of the mill National Champs moment from a phenom student-athlete. Nothing transcendent outside of having to be apart of some seemingly false accusations. Even then, his campus and community would have went to bat for him even if the evidence didn't paint him in a positive light.
    What he said wasn't all that bad. And we've heard him speak before. He's not stupid, just unpolished. He's country, if he isn't taking speech classes already to clean that up he will be soon. If you listen to HS LeBron and many other athletes they don't sound the same as they do now.

NBA rookie of the year

I dont see why the NCAA makes requirements for athletes to achieve minimum grades to maintain eligibility, when they just turn a blind eye to schools cheating for their stars. Eg. having tutors write their papers for them.

Honestly the NCAA should just drop the facade and start treating these guys as professionals (obviously they wont as its more profitable not to). I read somewhere that NCAA division 1 football is the second most profitable league in America. Second only to the NFL which is the most profitable league in the world.

Its a shame all the money and none of it goes to the guys who are at that school for the sole purpose of playing football.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
    I dont see why the NCAA makes requirements for athletes to achieve minimum grades to maintain eligibility, when they just turn a blind eye to schools cheating for their stars. Eg. having tutors write their papers for them.

Honestly the NCAA should just drop the facade and start treating these guys as professionals (obviously they wont as its more profitable not to). I read somewhere that NCAA division 1 football is the second most profitable league in America. Second only to the NFL which is the most profitable league in the world.

Its a shame all the money and none of it goes to the guys who are at that school for the sole purpose of playing football.
    I don't think college players should get paid but they should be able to go to the nfl after 1 year if they want too.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by christian1923
    I don't think college players should get paid but they should be able to go to the nfl after 1 year if they want too.
    What's the real argument against paying them?
    The NCAA's position that they are receiving a free education is a joke. They arent receiving an education.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    What he said wasn't all that bad. And we've heard him speak before. He's not stupid, just unpolished. He's country, if he isn't taking speech classes already to clean that up he will be soon. If you listen to HS LeBron and many other athletes they don't sound the same as they do now.
    Yea true. He only sounded like a dummie cuz like you said, he sounds like a country gramma. I like Winston, like I said it just was a common Championship interview. Dude said it was one of the most inspirational things he ever heard I was just wondering why he thought that.

I remember how simple Lebron used to come off. One time, they were interviewing him after the Draft lottery and asked him if he was friends with Carmelo. His response...

"Ugh..I'd say.. that ..ugh... me and Camelo's relationship is mo betta."

No lie, that's what he said verbatim. Dunno why that always amused me. These days, Lebron is a great interviewer and very media savvy. Just takes some experience and effort.

I just can't envision an NFL franchise drafting Jameis Winston top 1-3 overall and just being cool with him, as the face of a franchise, going out to media so often sounding like country Madea and shit.
    Last edited by ROCSteady; 01-11-2014 at 12:33 PM.